Sign in to follow this  
nicetony

CPU 4 core 2.6 vs 2 core 3.6 GHz

Hello,

I have searched this forum and it seems that FSX is focussed on the first core due to ESP code.

So in other words there is little point in going quad core if the speed is slower?

Am i correct in assuming then that i am better off using an AMD 5300 2 core 3.6 ghz than INTEL Q9600 quad core 2.6ghz?

I know these are old, so am i !

Thanks in advance for any help,  Tony

Just noticed L2 Cache 6mb for the quad core, 1mb for the duo, is that a game changer? and is FSX optimised for Intel?

Edited by nicetony
added L2 cache info

1 hour ago, nicetony said:

FSX is focussed on the first core due to ESP code

P3D is based on ESP code but not FSX.

1 hour ago, nicetony said:

INTEL Q9600 quad core 2.6ghz

Google cannot find a Q9600 quad core.  It could find a Q9400 but that CPU has been discontinued.  You are wasting your money if you do not get at least an i7 2600K CPU - https://www.ebay.com/p/109583985?iid=183970636247&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=183970636247&targetid=475515051301&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=&poi=&campaignid=6469981122&mkgroupid=79220336802&rlsatarget=pla-475515051301&abcId=1141176&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQjw84XtBRDWARIsAAU1aM3oL3j0mr2hnZuvAls2kDZZXn6lOKgqA8BAev2bGmSpgj7eYNZ5nPkaAmVBEALw_wcB

On the same page as the link, you'll see a suggested Motherboard and RAM.  But it is not smart to go back in time when purchasing technology.  No, you do not have to have the latest and greatest but there are a lot of computer systems much better than the i7 2600K costing less than $500 as many people move up and try to sell their old system.  This is when you can take advantage of some good deals - https://www.amazon.com/Desktops-Used-Computers-Tablets/s?rh=n%3A565098%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A2224373011

Even if you get the i7 2600K you will be limited to using FSX with several add-ons and, if you get an add-on that uses a lot of resources, you will find no joy.  P3DV4 can use it too but think you will have trouble running the up and coming Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 w/o seeing a lot of anomalies.  You would be able to run it but it might not be with a lot of enjoyment.

AMD products work but FSX was tested with Intel and Nvidia products as AMD refused to update their drivers for the new OS Windows Vista, released when FSX came out, and then Windows 7.  About a year later they relented costing them millions.  AMD products are getting better and staying competitive with Intel. 

There are few games or software that take advantage of individual cores.  FSX and P3D operate with all cores at 100%. 

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks Jim,

What an word not allowed its Q9300, which is discontinued same as Q9400 as you say, sorry about that.

Basically i have found a couple of old computers available locally for £50 and was just trying to decide between them. I remember someone telling me years ago that FSX is better on one fast core than several slower cores, i read a post abiout the ESP code and thought that was a confirmation. I must say i am surprised you say it will run 4 cores at 100% but thats why i am asking an expert!

So you are saying the slower 4 core wins then, 6mb L2 cache will make it quicker in other ways too.

The AMD from 2014 would be compatible though, do you think there would be a lot of difference? That one comes with 1TB HDD and 6Gb DDR3 so a more appealing buy otherwise!

Thanks for the link, the prices are pretty reasonable so i may think again but i am just making do for the moment, as you say you can pick up some pretty impressive rigs for £500 or so but for now i am just amusing myself with limited funds.

I appreciate your prompt reply, Tony.

If you want to run something that old and that slow, you'd be much better served with FS9 than FSX.  You can make FS9 work acceptably with either of those two choices...FSX is most likely going to be pretty underwhelming.  It won't be a question of "which one runs better?", it'll be more like "which one runs less poorly?"

• Like 2

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

53 minutes ago, nicetony said:

I must say i am surprised you say it will run 4 cores at 100% but thats why i am asking an expert!

Your computer resource monitor will show you exactly what is running and taking up resources. Just click on search in the lower left of your desktop and type resmon, then enter.  It will take you immediately there.  It will show your CPU and all of the cores that are being utilized (in my case it is showing all cores being utilized and up to 100%).    Still it is good as you want all cores to function.  I have my system overclocked (see specs in my signature) and every core is overclocked too because of the CPU I installed (i7 8086K).  Some of the later CPU's can do this too but not all of them.  It is amazing when all cores are overclocked and working.

Bob's suggestion above to run FS9 (FS2004) would be better is a good one.  I think you can run FSX though.  FSX was developed when Core2 Duo CPU's were the latest thing.  We were tweaking FSX everyday to get more performance.  Then the i7 2600K was released and it was totally like night and day from the older CPU's.  We were able to overclock our computer too and it wasn't just the "experts" who got to overclock.  FSX never ran so well!

If you decide to run FSX, I would recommend FSX-SE as the software is only about $25 and has everything you need.  Enjoy!

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am currently running FSX on an Athlon 64 X2 500B i expect you would cringe but the aircraft perform perfectly, though of course the scenery graphics can not be set to a very high level. Have to stick to default scenery mostly and no add-ons but its acceptable to me.

I tried FS9 some time ago but came back to FSX as i prefer it, not sure why!

So for me the CPU options above are actually quite an improvement and i enjoy fixing up old computers and getting things to work. It can really improve performùance if you run a clean lean computer and turn all the services etc off when flying. The AMD A4 5300 is overclockable to 4.5ghz apparently, so that will be great fun!

Thanks for your help,  Tony

The AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide might provide you some nice settings for your rig.  We recommend using the NVIDIA Inspector for your graphics settings too.  Link to the NI in the Configuration Guide.  See link in my signature to the Guide.

Submit News to AVSIM

Thanks Jim, that looks very helpful, looking forward to moving those sliders a bit further to the right!

Got my new machine this morning but it will be a bit of meccano and Windows stuff, then getting it set up right before i can fly.

All the best,  Tony