Sign in to follow this  
Branimir

New to buying a GPS addon

Hello!

I have been flying airliners for years and now I decided to try some GA / business flying. I found out that I need a payware GPS because default GPS and Universal FMS in Carenado planes are very basic and I need a reliable GPS for flying on IVAO network. 

I am in a flight school and I need a GPS because RNAV is required in Europe for IFR flying. There are two companies that are selling GPS addons - RealityXP and Flight 1. I have no idea how this GPS integration works with simulator because I am used to airliners FMS. For example, Carenado's Cessna Citation S550 has a Flight 1 GTN 750 integration. Does that mean that only Flight 1 GTN 750 will work citation VC? Is there an option to install GNS 530 even if it says it supports F1 GTN 750 because I would prefer a GNS 530 because my flight school uses it? Can you install RealityXP GPS into an aircraft VC that supports Flight 1 GTN 750 integration?

Can you install GPS into any VC? 

Do you prefer Flight 1 or RealityXP?

Thank you!

Edited by Branimir

I7-10700 (4.8 GHz with HT enabled)

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super OC Gaming

You won't be able to install an avionics into an addon unless it says it supports it.  However you can always install a 2D gauge popup of avionics (GNS or GTN etc)

So for instance with your Carenado C550 example.  Yeah you could buy the F1 GTN 750 and it will install to the cockpit really easily.  You can also (with a little extra work) install a RXP GTN 750 to the cockpit.  You can also install a 2D popup of both gauges (or a GNS from F1 or RXP) into the Carenado 550.

Flight1 had the original GTN out.  Before them though, RXP had the GNS series of gauges.  More addons support (by support I mean support install of the avionics into the VC) the Flight1 version because it's been around longer.  If a plane supports an F1 installation, the RXP can be basically dropped in its place with a little extra work.

I've owned all of them through the years.  I prefer the RXP but you may find ease of use with the F1 like I said above....more addons support it without a little extra work.

Finding newer navdata can be challenging...usually both gauges come with some data that's reasonably recent.  Like 2018 or 2019 data.  They cannot be updated with Navigraph.  PM me for more info on that.

Finally if I had to chose one it would be the RXP GTN 750...I really like the GTN's big moving map and functionality.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I like the Flight 1. I use it on all my A2A aircraft and many others. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

Thank you! Citaton's autopilot can follow the route that is in its very unrealistic Universal FMS. Will autopilot be able to follow GTN route after installing it?

What are pros and cons of Flight 1 and RealityXP?

Edited by Branimir

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

1 hour ago, ryanbatcund said:

You won't be able to install an avionics into an addon unless it says it supports it.  However you can always install a 2D gauge popup of avionics (GNS or GTN etc)

You won't be able to install it into the virtual cockpit but you will be able to use it as a 2D popup!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg
Core i7-7700K / 32Gb DDR4 / Gigabyte GTX1070 / 1080p x 3 x weird / Win7 64 Pro

Ahhh that's exactly what I said.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

2 hours ago, Branimir said:

Do you prefer Flight 1 or RealityXP?

If you are going for the GNS530, I strongly recommend the Reality-XP one and not Flight1. This is because you can't map buttons and knobs to the Flight1 GNS530 (i.e. you have to control it with the mouse). I suppose it's possible Flight1 has updated this, so you could check. Can't speak for the other products, but I would check those too!

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

Just now, ryanbatcund said:

Ahhh that's exactly what I said.

Yes, that's true 😉  I should read slower.

MarkH

gGzCVFp.jpg

41 minutes ago, Branimir said:

Thank you! Citaton's autopilot can follow the route that is in its very unrealistic Universal FMS. Will autopilot be able to follow GTN route after installing it?

What are pros and cons of Flight 1 and RealityXP?

Yes the autopilot will follow the track laterally and during an approach with lpv minimums (GPS with WAAS) it will fly the vertical glide path too.

As for which one is better...that's for you to decide.  Use YouTube to find reviews.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

As I understand, its possible to install RealityXP GTN 750 into Flight 1 GTN 750 supported aircaft VC and not GNS 530 into GTN 750 supported VC (only 2D pop-up)

Edited by Branimir

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

Just now, Branimir said:

As I understand, its possible to install RealityXP GTN 750 into Flight 1 GTN 750 supported aircaft VC and not GNS 530 into GTN 750 supported VC.

True.  PM me if you need assistance with anything specific regarding these gauges.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

5 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

True.  PM me if you need assistance with anything specific regarding these gauges.

Thanks to everyone for outstanding support on VATSIM, you helped a lot. I will ask you via PM.

2x16GB DDR4 3600MHz 

1 hour ago, MarkDH said:

If you are going for the GNS530, I strongly recommend the Reality-XP one and not Flight1. This is because you can't map buttons and knobs to the Flight1 GNS530 (i.e. you have to control it with the mouse). I suppose it's possible Flight1 has updated this, so you could check. Can't speak for the other products, but I would check those too!

Plus one on the Reality XP for this reason.  I use  GoFlight units to control it.  With two sets of buttons and rotary knobs, I cover almost every GNS function.  I set up the GF's in a box with a 7 inch monitor on top and undock the GNS into it.

• Like 1

Forever indebted to the late Michael Greenblatt of FSGS.

3 hours ago, Branimir said:

Thanks to everyone for outstanding support on VATSIM, you helped a lot. I will ask you via PM.

VATSIM🙄😅  i think you meant AVSIM👍