Sign in to follow this  
aleex

Night lighting

How do you think MSFS dev team are going to implement night lighting? I'm not referring only to the streetlights, but more to building tops, antennas, windmills or even radars red beacon or white strobes lights at night, or even custom illumination (Las Vegas pyramid beam light for example). There are some screenshots on the link below. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_warning_lights

Also, do you think lighthouses should be implemented? With all the help Azure brings regarding objects placement, might be a cool addition, and a cool feature for night flights in certain areas. 

I left you this page, which includes the real light pattern and placement of some of those lighthouses over the world, FYI

https://geodienst.github.io/lighthousemap/

Edited by aleex
  • Upvote 1

I don't have much idea, Aleex, but one : I am adamant, I don't want to see the dreadful airport beacons from FSX/P3D anymore 😃

• Upvote 2

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

1 hour ago, aleex said:

How do you think MSFS dev team are going to implement night lighting? I'm not referring only to the streetlights, but more to building, antennas, windmills or even radars red beacon or white strobes lights at night, or even custom illumination (Las Vegas pyramid beam light...).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_warning_lights

Not exactly sure what you mean, but you can see the airport beacon in the video of the bad weather landing (for example in Froogles video).

1 hour ago, aleex said:

Also, do you think lighthouses should be implemented? With all the help Azure brings regarding objects placement, might be a cool addition, and a cool feature for night flights in certain areas. 

I left you this page, which includes the real light pattern and placement of some of those lighthouses over the world, FYI

https://geodienst.github.io/lighthousemap/

Lighthouses should be implemented somewhere down the line for sure, though I'm not sure if it should be a priority for launch. I really like how lighthouses look from the air though.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

Not exactly sure what you mean, but you can see the airport beacon in the video of the bad weather landing (for example in Froogles video).

Lighthouses should be implemented somewhere down the line for sure, though I'm not sure if it should be a priority for launch. I really like how lighthouses look from the air though.

I refer more to cities buildings roofs and that kind of objects. When those where 3D models, the devs only have to attach a light on the correct position. But now with al the photogrammetry thing... Idk if they are going to add them, or left them “turned off”.

Glad to hear it 🙂

1 minute ago, aleex said:

I refer more to cities buildings roofs and that kind of objects. When those where 3D models, the devs only have to attach a light on the correct position. But now with al the photogrammetry thing... Idk if they are going to add them, or left them “turned off”.

Well I surely do hope they will implement them some way. I'm curious myself also how (and if) they will do building window lights for photogrammetry buildings, that won't be an easy task to do correctly though not completely impossible. The red beacons on top should be fairly do-able though, they should be able to detect tall buildings and put beacon objects on top of them. 

I also hope they will detect windmills for generating electricity and replace them with actual moving 3D objects complete with beacons and all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

You can get a brief glimpse here at 0:21 ....

https://edition.cnn.com/travel/article/microsoft-flight-simulator-2020-reboot/index.html

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

IMO, X-Plane11 night lights could (and I think should) be considered as some sort of basis, then in could be further improved whenever possible. These late afternoon XP lights always put smile on my face 🙂 

• Upvote 2

Biggest thing for me, assuming they look even decent, is draw distance.

XP11's lighting is really good below 3,000 feet and on final. It's awful when you get up and it's popping in just a few miles away.

• Upvote 3

+1 on lighthouses.  I'm also hopeful for realistic water towers (eventually by somebody).

i'd be very surprised if the night lighting wasn't as great an improvement over FSX as the rest of the scenery generation appears to be.  Why go to the trouble of using shader code to ...actually nevermind...they already said they were adding lights on buildings.  Im sure it will be good.  if not, we complain and they fix it. or somebody does.  did you know the .fx files were a form of shader code?  I didnt until some recent reading.

Edited by sightseer
  • Upvote 1

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

29 minutes ago, sightseer said:

+1 on lighthouses.  I'm also hopeful for realistic water towers (eventually by somebody).

i'd be very surprised if the night lighting wasn't as great an improvement over FSX as the rest of the scenery generation appears to be.  Why go to the trouble of using shader code to ...actually nevermind...they already said they were adding lights on buildings.  Im sure it will be good.  if not, we complain and they fix it. or somebody does.  did you know the .fx files were a form of shader code?  I didnt until some recent reading.

I don't know how good the lighting will be but the folks at the preview event were pretty complementary about the lighting. I believe all the scenery materials are PBR which helps but also the clouds and water bodies reflect lighting from the gound and aircraft as well. I'm sure this is something still very much in development which is why we've not seen a great deal of it yet.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, bonchie said:

XP11's lighting is really good below 3,000 feet and on final. It's awful when you get up and it's popping in just a few miles away.

I am always surprise when people speak so highly of XP lighting.  I find it to be pretty bad personally and like you said, the popping is horrendous.  Also, airports are very hard to see at night and they stick out like a sore thumb in XP.  Anyway, I do hope we see a new lighting system with lights out to horizon, no popping and some variation in light colors instead of orange dots of light everywhere.  You see a lot of bright white lights (parking lots, etc) along with a lot headlights when flying at night and this is something we have yet to see in any sim.  I would like to also see more directional lighting for runway/approach lights.  It does sound like all the lights are dynamic and will reflect on cloud bases which is very cool!

• Upvote 1

Eric

i9-12900k, RTX 3080ti FTW, 32GB ddr5 5600 RAM, 2TB 980 Pro SSD, H100i AIO, Samsung CRG90 49", Win 11

I would like to know if the night lighting effects are going to encompass lighting up the user aircraft .... dont want to see the grey cardboard cut-out effect of FSX.