Sign in to follow this  
cepact

Scenery popping

Am I the only one who noticed frequent scenery popping (switching LOD it seems) on the videos that were recently released ? 

Edited by cepact

You're not, I also noticed it and found it somewhat distracting. Hopefully it's an area that will be improved or optimised by release. I'm sure the team are aware of it already but worth a mention.

Some of the other sims do it well with objects fading in/out with distance (XP), or scaling up from the ground (DCS) - as far as I remember - rather than popping into view.

Could you give the approximate time stamps where it is most obvious? I would like to have a look at it as well.

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I have seen it in the last video in fact when I replayed it and looked at the detail and not the big picture in full screen 4K, I could see trees popping I stopped and replayed to check and it and confirmed it. It`s a bit like when you play a high detail FPS shooter game replaying you start to notice the small detail bugs.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

7 hours ago, Murmur said:

Could you give the approximate time stamps where it is most obvious? I would like to have a look at it as well.

+1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

8 hours ago, Murmur said:

https://youtu.be/OmoG8jgdQvQ?t=216

There is an example but I am able to notice this almost everytime it flies over scenery. You just have to look at the foreground in my example to notice the very frequent level of detail switchings.

3.30 bottom left bridge popping

11.45 right side road round about 

13.30 looking back at Renton hanger pop to the left scenery pop to the right under wing

27.04 right of the space needle tree pop

In the Fselite vid above but you can see more through the vid. 

• Upvote 2

Raymond Fry.

I’ve noticed buildings (and a couple other things) upgrading to a higher detail level occasionally - doesn’t seem to be particularly related to distance from the player a lot of the time. It’s quite similar to how map apps work when you scroll around in 3D mode. Hopefully there’s a way they’ll be able to minimise this at some stage though 

I noticed it too quite a few times already but it seems to me that most of the popping happens in outside views that look back on the aircraft, so the popping happens underneath or even behind you. I think or presume or hope that the forward view, what you see while sitting in the cockpit, is somehow prioritized and will show less popping or none at all. (I myself never ever fly using an outside view. 😉 )

It’s almost certainly going to exist when you look straight down from the aircraft because of how the LOD loading works on the photogrammetry.

They can still add alpha fade.

• Upvote 1

We have to bear in mind it`s still in pre-alpha I suspect work is still ongoing this why I think if it`s not already in it will not make it to release. 

Raymond Fry.

On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 11:46 AM, rjfry said:

We have to bear in mind it`s still in pre-alpha I suspect work is still ongoing this why I think if it`s not already in it will not make it to release. 

Ray, it won't even leave pre-alpha much less alpha until they've put in everything they intend to. After that milestone is reached it will then move into the Beta test cycle.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

6 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Ray, it won't even leave pre-alpha much less alpha until they've put in everything they intend to. After that milestone is reached it will then move into the Beta test cycle.

Testing is suppose to start in a few weeks.

Raymond Fry.

49 minutes ago, rjfry said:

Testing is suppose to start in a few weeks.

ALPHA testing. What Bill meant is the Alpha is supposed to be the phase where features are still in the proccess of being added meanwhile the testers are testing the other features. Until it is still in Alpha, a lot of features can be added before the BETA.

But having in mind this is a 10 years project (will we see a Flight Simulator II in 2026?), features will still be added even before the "final release".

On 10/14/2019 at 8:24 AM, bonchie said:

It’s almost certainly going to exist when you look straight down from the aircraft because of how the LOD loading works on the photogrammetry.

They can still add alpha fade.

What is alpha fading?

Regardless of what stage of development we're at, aren't there going to have to be some tradeoffs if you're flying low? Isn't this just a current limitation of 3D graphics in general?