Sign in to follow this  
bosflo

trying to understand this

14 minutes ago, irrics said:

Again, why is this topic in the MSFS area?

Probably just to annoy you! 😉  Why are you clicking on it if it bothers you?

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Let's say we have a typical ISP connection in the UK of around 20MBytes/s or 167Mbps. 802.11n 2.4GHz is capable of sustaining 200Mbps, maybe as much as 300Mbps. 5GHz is three times faster or more. So the ISP in these circumstances is the bottleneck irrespective of connection. So in theory, the ISP has to be faster than the wifi speeds available to entice the need for cabling up. They'll run out of Copper anyway now they're building a bigger collider,

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

I'm more concerned with bandwidth caps then speed. 

People with unusually slow internet connections can download scenery overnight. Latency will be irrelevant outside of multiplayer. That's why worrying about using a cable over WiFi is not really the thing to focus on. On the other hand, if the download sizes are similar to Ortho4XP, that could limit the amount of scenery you can see per month.

In terms of performance, graphics cards will still be the top factor IMO.

Edited by carbonbasedlifeform
sizes

18 hours ago, decker89 said:

What do you mean by auxiliary router and how is it connected to your main router?

In my main office I have the XFinity "modem". I have a D-Link router connected to it via CAT6 cable. I have my development computer connected to the D-Link via CAT6, and a CAT6 cable supplying connection to a secondary (auxiliary) router in my library room. I have 5 other computers (including my main simulator test machine) connected to the library's router.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

12 minutes ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

Who made that claim, please point out where that was said?

You said this: I would NOT recommend WiFi for the new MSFS or anything that is latency critical

There is no evidence that the MSFS scenery streaming will be that latency critical, or that WiFi will not be sufficient. I additionally wager it will not be very bandwidth sensitive. There is also precisely zero evidence that any transient hiccups in connection quality are going to suddenly make you take a massive scenery quality hit. This is all complete conjecture, and makes absolutely no sense given the way these types of systems and engines are designed, at all.

I have never, in all years as an IT professional, seen the kind of wild constant jitter in latency you describe, even in high traffic suboptimal environments with many computers per square foot and lots of metal around and constant logging. Sure, are you going to get some latency spikes, absolutely. But also, I get those randomly wired too. Upstream connections are not always perfect either (yay Comcast).

All I'm saying is that there is no evidence that WiFi won't be just fine, and additionally knowing what I do about engine design, it is probably going to be just fine. Like I said, I'll be more than happy to eat my words if I'm wrong, but there's no need to be hyperbolic this early in the game.

I don't get how this turned into some kind of strange war about things, but I'll bow out. Apparently there are egos to protect. We shall all find out when it hits our computers next year.

Cheers all,

Matt N

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, n4gix said:

In my main office I have the XFinity "modem". I have a D-Link router connected to it via CAT6 cable. I have my development computer connected to the D-Link via CAT6, and a CAT6 cable supplying connection to a secondary (auxiliary) router in my library room. I have 5 other computers (including my main simulator test machine) connected to the library's router.

Is there a reason you're using a 2nd router on your network versus having a simple Network switch in the library? Having a 2nd router can slow things down for the devices connected to that router as it introduces some overhead not to mention other problems that can arise if the 2nd router isn't properly set up.

It sounds like you were thinking of upgrading the 2nd router, if that is the case I would recommend replacing it with a simple gigabit Network switch. This way your main D Link router is the sole router in your network and the speed in your library and flightsim pc should be at 100%.

34 minutes ago, decker89 said:

Is there a reason you're using a 2nd router on your network versus having a simple Network switch in the library? Having a 2nd router can slow things down for the devices connected to that router as it introduces some overhead not to mention other problems that can arise if the 2nd router isn't properly set up

Actually, I mistakenly called it a "router". It is actually an "D-link 8-Port Unmanaged Gigabit Switch (GO-SW-8G)" that is in the library room.

Purchased 1 time.
You purchased this item on November 7, 2016.
Model: 8-Port Gigabit |

Odd then that I'm not seeing the same performance when I run speedtest though... :wacko:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guys, the basis of reasonable performance is under test. As such, we'll be OK with wifi Routers. But sure, any problems of poor radio performance in the household will be circumvented with a wired connection if the need arises. Most folk have their PC's wired and a wifi to the TV/DVD/Speaker. The latency issues that some are speaking of are simply not worth worrying about with the new scenery strategy.

Edited by SteveW

We have to understand that the way the simulator introduces scenery, is as it always did, which takes several minutes in the background to eventually fill in the scene to the full resolution. That's plenty of time for any flutters of latency, that won't be noticed. So long as a reasonable level of resolution is delivered, there will be no fuss.

What might be an issue is the availability of completeness in a scene such that certain things might appear or not in the scene readily, depending on the work done in the cloud up to that point. Mostly that will be ironed out in reasonably good time as the AI processes stroll through the data. That might appear bandwidth related, but is not.