Sign in to follow this  
Flybynumbers

My first VR flying experience!

2 minutes ago, Lenny777 said:

I began using Oculus with FSX couple of years ago with the FlyInside program. To be sure the new experience is great but several issues plague it. The first is resolution. That effects everything from the outside graphics to the interior gauges. I know there are new versions of VR coming out improving resolution but the system required to keep up in the context of VR and flightsimming starts to make it unreasonably expensive. Second, is the manipulation of charts, weather programs,  pop up gauges, etc.  normally done outside the sim and usually on a second monitor. FI was improving the ability to do this but very unwieldy, ackward and unpleasant.

I've ended up leaving my $700 Oculus unplugged. Until ALL these issues sort themselves out I would not recommend it.

I too like the freedom to pull out clipboard and read approach plates. I am going to give IFR in vr a try...but I will probably fly mostly VFR...something I rarely do with my homebuild/monitor setup.  

22 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

One thing I noticed when first trying vr was how easy it was suddenly to stick landings. The sense of depth was something I had never realized the importance of..... until it was given back to me, in 3D

The second thing was the immense, childlike grin on my face as I explored the various cockpits, astonished by things made clear to me that never were before.. Like how cramped some of them were and as said, how your head is on a swivel as you take it all in.

I think I smiled for weeks after first flying in vr.

Yes! I totally agree. I could do VFR landings all day in VR...totally different experience. AND don't forget...my only experience thus far has been an ultralight in oculus quest UltraWings...not exactly a flight simulator but so much fun!

Edited by Flybynumbers
  • Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, HiFlyer said:

One thing I noticed when first trying vr was how easy it was suddenly to stick landings. The sense of depth was something I had never realized the importance of..... until it was given back to me, in 3D

One thing I found was landing helicopters became possible and fun to do. Before VR landing a helicopter gracefully was more chance than anything as in a flat screen I could only guess where the helicopter was in relation to the ground. With VR, there were many more visual references to be able to land a helicopter perfectly. 

As a result I got into flying helicopters much more.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

48 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

:blink:

mo·dal·i·ty
/mōˈdalədē/
noun
modal quality.
"the harmony had a touch of modality"
a particular mode in which something exists or is experienced or expressed.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, yurei said:

mo·dal·i·ty
/mōˈdalədē/
noun
modal quality.
"the harmony had a touch of modality"
a particular mode in which something exists or is experienced or expressed.

Many thanks. I appreciate it. 👍

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

19 minutes ago, Ron Attwood said:

Many thanks. I appreciate it. 👍

Thanks for all  you do!

5 hours ago, Ron Attwood said:

1: I kept trying to lean my elbow on the side of the cockpit.

2: I kept trying to look down at my watch. :rolleyes:

Ha, yes I was sat in the PMDG 747 in VR , I fly the 747 in real life as well and found myself reaching out with my left hand for a hand grip recess which is on the coaming to support myself as I do in real life while leaning in to look at the FMC. Of course my hand fell through thin air and I nearly fell off my chair, but I new that just for a few seconds I had been completely sucked in to the VR world.

It’s not fantastic just yet for airliner flying but it’s still very good and will only get better over time. The real beauty though is light aircraft and VFR, Things like looking  out over the wing at the landscape then glancing  back in at the instruments briefly, and the turns onto final, and looking down the far end of the runway and using peripheral vision to judge depth in the flair are all perfectly captured in a way you just can’t do on a monitor.

• Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

9 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

If i had to pick one aspect that is different in VR flying is that your head is really on a swivel...on the downwind leg of a right hand traffic pattern I could really judge when to turn base leg by looking abeam over my shoulder. This aspect of flying is lost even with a multiple monitor setup.

Welcome aboard! Be warned, flat panel flying will stop being fun now that you have experienced this. 😉
While VR in its current form has a lot to build on, it's still the future of simming.  

32 minutes ago, jon b said:

It’s not fantastic just yet for airliner flying but it’s still very good and will only get better over time.

While mostly true, I have found a comfortable balance by using VR for ground ops and departure and approach phases, where you are mostly head up. (It also helps to have a HOTAS setup, so you don't have to fiddle with that mouse that often)

Edited by ZLA Steve

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

2 hours ago, ZLA Steve said:

Welcome aboard! Be warned, flat panel flying will stop being fun now that you have experienced this. 😉
While VR in its current form has a lot to build on, it's still the future of simming.  

While mostly true, I have found a comfortable balance by using VR for ground ops and departure and approach phases, where you are mostly head up. (It also helps to have a HOTAS setup, so you don't have to fiddle with that mouse that often)

Hand tracking is coming to the oculus quest! That will be awesome for using the controls and turning knobs and switches. 🙂

https://www.engadget.com/2019/09/25/oculus-rift-s-vs-quest/

I can definitely vouch for the Reverb. It’s awaesome, you’ll need to setup reprojection which is not too hard but the clarity is stunning. 

On 10/14/2019 at 7:43 AM, Flybynumbers said:

I have been on here busting you VR guys so I figured I should really experience it myself before knocking it. 

The only VR simulator option I have right now is Ultrawings on the oculus quest. I flew the ultralight.

If i had to pick one aspect that is different in VR flying is that your head is really on a swivel...on the downwind leg of a right hand traffic pattern I could really judge when to turn base leg by looking abeam over my shoulder. This aspect of flying is lost even with a multiple monitor setup. VR is the already the future of gaming...I have no doubt now that it is the future of simming as well. I am going to try out Aerofly FS2 and Flyinside.  I think flying VR in the MSFT 2020 scenery would be the ultimate flying experience so going to wait for them to launch a VR version.

tenor.gif?itemid=6021624

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

On 10/14/2019 at 10:44 AM, Flybynumbers said:

I too like the freedom to pull out clipboard and read approach plates. I am going to give IFR in vr a try...but I will probably fly mostly VFR...something I rarely do with my homebuild/monitor setup.  

That's the thing about VR. It depends on the sim, and what it has available. fsx With flyinside is nice. But xplane with Avitab, is for IFR. all your charts, imported ifr moving maps, airport information. Everything is there, and can bring in flight plans, the only thing is how good is your memory in remembering atc commands. Even that I've gotten good at quick shorthand in the avitab notepad for that using the oculus controller

5 hours ago, Casualcas said:

That's the thing about VR. It depends on the sim, and what it has available. fsx With flyinside is nice. But xplane with Avitab, is for IFR. all your charts, imported ifr moving maps, airport information. Everything is there, and can bring in flight plans, the only thing is how good is your memory in remembering atc commands. Even that I've gotten good at quick shorthand in the avitab notepad for that using the oculus controller

I am going to start with DCS and then likely try both aerofly fs2 and flyinside to see which one I prefer. If my cockpit PC meets the minimum specs for MSFT 2020, and saitek gear is compatible then I might get it...but not doing a new build. Will probably wait for a PCVR version instead. 🙂

Edited by Flybynumbers

3 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

I am going to start with DCS and then likely try both aerofly fs2 and flyinside to see which one I prefer. If my cockpit PC meets the minimum specs for MSFT 2020, and saitek gear is compatible then I might get it...but not doing a new build. Will probably wait for a PCVR version instead. 🙂

Just a heads up, DCS is having an autumn sale starting today where the majority of their modules/maps/campaigns are 50% off.  If you would like a recommendation or two let me know what your preference is and I will try to help out  (props, jets, helicopters, ground attack, dogfighting, multi-role, super complex modules or easy to learn modules)