Sign in to follow this  
Shomron

Aerosoft CRJ-1000 major update announced

I wish the Bombardier CRJ series had an autothrottle for n00bs like me :blush:

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

One can add an auto throttle to any jet aircraft.

Of course, depending on how the aircraft is modeled, it 

may work well or not.

In the aircraft.cfg file, these entries must be like this:

[autopilot]
autopilot_available= 1
autothrottle_available= 1
autothrottle_arming_required= 0

In FSX and P3D, if you map a key or button to Autopilot airspeed hold (on/off)

it will hold whatever speed you are doing.

If one's quest is to achieve the nearest thing to real life, as most of any aircraft

critics seem to have, to do this would be heresy.

Edited by Reader

1 hour ago, Christopher Low said:

I wish the Bombardier CRJ series had an autothrottle for n00bs like me :blush:

I actually thought that the CRJ Pro did have an A/T, at least on the 1000...? I thought I had read this on the initial announce post, but perhaps I'm wrong. I actually upgraded in small part because I thought there was that option. One of the reasons I really haven't flown the CRJ X very much was because the lack of an A/T. Not because I can't do it, but because I prefer having the A/T handle the throttles and I can sit back and relax. My job is hectic enough - I'd like my flightsim to be easy 😛

• Upvote 2

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

Same here, the missing autothrottle basically prevents from flying longer legs and walking away from the PC, something that works pretty well for all other IFR addons I use (AS Arbusses, PMDG 737, QW787). I maybe once try the trick with the autothrottle defined in the aircraft.cfg, but I guess it will not work with the CRJ (unless the throttle is simulated using the basic commands of the sim).

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

1 hour ago, Tim-HH said:

Blackbox711 has tested the new CRJ Pro as well:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/513193418?t=2h31m11s

Unfortunately he experienced quite a few CTDs when using the charts function on the EFB.

I watched two streamers experience multiple CTDs last night as well.  One seemed to be chart related and one was a weird screen flickering/black screen glitch.  Odd.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

Count me in to those who experience CTD when using the EFB and searching for destination ICAO. =/

Usually Hans picks these reports up and fixes it within days.

EASA PPL SEPL ( NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch, SLPC, Retractable undercarriage)
B23 / PA32R / PA28 / DA40 / C172S 

MSFS | X-Plane 12 |

Sadly that price is way too much for me. I am sure I am not the only one...

I encountered a CTD on my inaugural flight in the CRJ Pro while using Navigraph Charts in the EFB as well.  Have seen several reports of the issue over at the Aerosoft forums.  Hans is looking into it.

I'll avoid using the EFB for the time being until this gets fixed...hopefully soon.

Edited by cparrott73

4 hours ago, Benjamin J said:

I actually thought that the CRJ Pro did have an A/T, at least on the 1000...? I thought I had read this on the initial announce post, but perhaps I'm wrong. I actually upgraded in small part because I thought there was that option. One of the reasons I really haven't flown the CRJ X very much was because the lack of an A/T. Not because I can't do it, but because I prefer having the A/T handle the throttles and I can sit back and relax. My job is hectic enough - I'd like my flightsim to be easy 😛

It's not A/T, but coupled VNAV.

Basically, VNAV by default on the CRJ is just advisory.  The displays will tell you when it is time to descend, and what altitude you should be at at a given waypoint, but it is up to the pilots to manage the descent themselves.

However, in the 550 and 1000, those models have an extension known as coupled VNAV by default.  The A/P on those models will pitch the plane down for you in this mode starting at T/D, but they still do not manage thrust for you like an A/T would.  Apparently Bombardier also makes coupled VNAV a nonstandard option on the 700 and 900, and it is possible to edit config files in the CRJ Pro to add this feature to those models as well.

This FAQ gives a very basic explanation:

https://forum.aerosoft.com/index.php?/topic/148162-crj-pro-questions-and-answers/

I get why the CRJ doesn't have A/T.  It adds to the cost of the aircraft, and most CRJs fly short segments where it's not as much of a pain for the pilots to manually manage thrust.  But yeah, I get it...it's still a bit of a pain compared to having a real A/T.  I don't mind it too much, and I actually enjoy the challenge at times.  I figure as long as I'm within 5% of my target mach number, I'm in pretty good shape.  I have no idea if real CRJ pilots are more precise than this, though...

• Upvote 1

On 11/25/2019 at 4:57 AM, DaveCT2003 said:

I'm not going to get into it with you here (which is not my decision, it's my bosses decision and I will respect that), so this is a statement and I won't be providing any further replies on this matter here. But you are most welcome to Private Message me or better yet, come by our forums to discuss - which I think would be the right thing to do.

I'm guessing that you may not fully understand what the NEW PRODUCT is all about, and if that's the case then believe me I understand, following flight sim and it's products is a daunting task even for me and I do this full time.

One thing you may have missed is that we published many updates for the previous CRJ-700/900X product. Those updates were indeed at no cost to the customer, and that product is fully stable and working very, very well, in fact I was flying that aircraft just last week.

What we're talking about is a NEW PRODUCT, which it also provides 2 completely new aircraft (so now it's the CRJ 550, 700, 900 and 1000 models) and many new things. Even though this is a new product, we are providing a substantial discount for those who owned the previous product, just like we did and do for the Airbus.  Compare that to other aircraft AND scenery developers!

Aerosoft's policy is that we never charge anyone for the same file twice, and if you ask me we go FAR BEYOND this policy when we compute price differences and discounts.  For instance, in this case the cost to previous CRJ Product owners is about $23 USD and for what one gets for that, well, I think it's amazing. Our policies not only prove to be the greatest benefit to everyone, but to my knowledge no other developer does this.

If the above is not good enough for you, then by all means skip the new CRJ.  But I believe our policies are far more than fair, that they are of great financial benefit our customers especially when compared to other aircraft and scenery developers.

I wish you the very best!

I work in software development myself - though not in the domain of flight simulation - and I have to say that I think the CRJ Pro upgrade is a very fair value proposition for existing CRJ owners.  For about $25, you get extra CRJ models (550 and 1000), PBR support, a redesigned VC that is really nice (even has curved displays modeled!), the EFB, and the performance calculator.  I know it takes many hours to develop and test all of these new features, and developers have to be able to eat and pay their bills, too.  The nice thing is that if an existing CRJ owner doesn't find the upgrade worth the price, there is nothing stopping them from flying what they already have.

That said, I do find the EFB CTD bugs a bit vexing, and I hope Hans will get them sorted out as soon as he possibly can.  Otherwise, I think the CRJ Pro has been great so far.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, cparrott73 said:

I work in software development myself - though not in the domain of flight simulation - and I have to say that I think the CRJ Pro upgrade is a very fair value proposition for existing CRJ owners.  For about $25, you get extra CRJ models (550 and 1000), PBR support, a redesigned VC that is really nice (even has curved displays modeled!), the EFB, and the performance calculator.  I know it takes many hours to develop and test all of these new features, and developers have to be able to eat and pay their bills, too.  The nice thing is that if an existing CRJ owner doesn't find the upgrade worth the price, there is nothing stopping them from flying what they already have.

That said, I do find the EFB CTD bugs a bit vexing, and I hope Hans will get them sorted out as soon as he possibly can.  Otherwise, I think the CRJ Pro has been great so far.

Thanks.  The OP for the post actually updated his post and thanked me for the info.  Poor guy is getting beat up a little in this thread, and I think he's good to go.

Yeah, I didn't have any issues with the EFB CTD yesterday but I'm seeing some activity about that.  It's just post release stuff, happens all the time as I'm sure  you know.  Hans is an excellent coder and he'll get this resolved. 

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

5 hours ago, AnkH said:

Same here, the missing autothrottle basically prevents from flying longer legs and walking away from the PC, something that works pretty well for all other IFR addons I use (AS Arbusses, PMDG 737, QW787). I maybe once try the trick with the autothrottle defined in the aircraft.cfg, but I guess it will not work with the CRJ (unless the throttle is simulated using the basic commands of the sim).

There is some advice on the throttle N1 setting in the manual. I generally find an N1 setting around 0.75-0.80 best around 0.77 to be a good setting for cruise. The CRJ will sit stable around 290-300KIAS. Might need some adjustments for winds.

Shez Ansari

Windows 11; CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K; GPU: EVGA GEFORCE GTX 1080Ti 11GB; MB: Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming 5; RAM: 16GB; HD: Samsung 960 Pro 512GB SSD, Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD; Display: ASUS 4K 28", Asus UHD 26"

Deleted

Edited by flyblueskies
Operator Error...

PC: 10900K, RAM 32GB, Geforce GTX 3080 (10GB), MSFS 2020, FSX-SE, XP-11, P3DV4.5, P3DV5