Sign in to follow this  
Snuffleupagus

P3D crashing on startup

I've been away from the sim for a while but decided to hop back on today and I'm now experiencing a problem I've never had before. Whenever I start P3D and click on change aircraft or location, the sim crashes to the desktop after a few seconds with no pop up. The only things I've done were update QW 787, ActiveSky, and P3D from 4.4 to the latest 4.5 HF2 (only client and scenery). I can't figure this out and about to do a a whole uninstall and reinstall...

Any help would be appreciated.

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Are you selecting an aircraft or change of location at the Scenario screen? What happens if you just press OK and enter P3D with the default aircraft and location?

What is your startup aircraft? PMDG specifically state their 737 should not be a startup aircraft. Maybe the same applies to the QW787.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Yeah at the scenario screen. I don't even get to click on a new aircraft or type a new location before it crashes. And the default F-22 is what I have for start up aircraft. If I load from the default scenario, it loads just fine. And then going to select a new location or aircraft, crashes again.

RW Freight Pilot

Okay, so if you go with the default aircraft and location it’s fine until you try to change either.

Try renaming Prepar3D.cfg and change extension to cf#. That will force the sim to generate a new one. If that fixes it all well and good. You can find it in:-

C:\User[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed-Martin\Prepar3Dv4.

If that doesn’t work clear the shaders folder. I can’t remember the location. Google “delete shaders folder P3D”.

Time for bed over here. Catch up in 9 hours.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

I can’t remember the location

Just a few clicks away from main AppData folder - C:\Users\X\AppData\Local\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Shaders

Contents of shaders folder should be cleared entirely after P3D update. As mentioned by Ray, prepar3d.cfg must be rebuilt after update.

27 minutes ago, Ray Proudfoot said:

Okay, so if you go with the default aircraft and location it’s fine until you try to change either.

Try renaming Prepar3D.cfg and change extension to cf#. That will force the sim to generate a new one. If that fixes it all well and good. You can find it in:-

C:\User[yourname]\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed-Martin\Prepar3Dv4.

If that doesn’t work clear the shaders folder. I can’t remember the location. Google “delete shaders folder P3D”.

Time for bed over here. Catch up in 9 hours.

Tried both, same result with each. Really frustrating.

RW Freight Pilot

Had the same, similar issue, but it wouldn't make it to the splash screen, same updates performed except for scenery, only client, reinstalled the Fsuipc module and all is well, just a thought.

Regards Rod 

2 hours ago, doublebubble said:

Had the same, similar issue, but it wouldn't make it to the splash screen, same updates performed except for scenery, only client, reinstalled the Fsuipc module and all is well, just a thought.

Regards Rod 

Bummer, tried this and same result. 

Ok Update:

I've uninstalled P3D fully and reinstalled. Same. Exact. Issue. FSUIPC doesn't affect anything. It also doesn't crash until my mouse goes over an aircraft in the list and highlights it, not even clicking. Also does this any time I select a drop down in options or anywhere on the startup screen... How could it still be happening after a fresh install? 

Edited by pvupilot

RW Freight Pilot

Have you tried installing app crash view and seeing if there is an error when it crashes ? https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/app_crash_view.html

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

I may have solved it by uninstalling the latest windows update. I'm now able to load a plane and fly... fingers crossed.

• Like 1

RW Freight Pilot

4 hours ago, pvupilot said:

I may have solved it by uninstalling the latest windows update. I'm now able to load a plane and fly... fingers crossed.

Well done. It will help others if you name the update you uninstalled and post your current windows build number.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

uninstall instances of Microsoft simconnect in your add remove programs and run the msi installers in the p3d\redist folder (but NOT the Japan and Russia folders, do all others)

11 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

uninstall instances of Microsoft simconnect in your add remove programs and run the msi installers in the p3d\redist folder (but NOT the Japan and Russia folders, do all others)

Is this the solution to the original problem, or something else?

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, ACTIVE Sky FS,  PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310

12 hours ago, pvupilot said:

I had the same problem, associated with the .NET updates. I had to remove the update twice (since Windows insisted on re-installing it a week later), and then magically on the third update everything works.

If I remember correctly the crashlogs indicated a D3D9DLL error, which is part of the .NET framework. 

John Howell

Prepar3D V5, Windows 10 Pro, I7-9700K @ 4.6Ghz, EVGA GTX1080, 32GB Corsair Dominator 3200GHz, SanDisk Ultimate Pro 480GB SSD (OS), 2x Samsung 1TB 970 EVO M.2 (P3D), Corsair H80i V2 AIO Cooler, Fulcrum One Yoke, Samsung 34" 3440x1440 curved monitor, Honeycomb Bravo throttle quadrant, Thrustmaster TPR rudder pedals, Thrustmaster T1600M stick 

3 minutes ago, Howellerman said:

I had the same problem, associated with the .NET updates. I had to remove the update twice (since Windows insisted on re-installing it a week later), and then magically on the third update everything works.

If I remember correctly the crashlogs indicated a D3D9DLL error, which is part of the .NET framework. 

And these are the people that are going to program MS2020 Flight Sim....LOL

Edited by Bobsk8