Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Size matters, a guessing game

What  could be the size of the base game ? 

Asobo says that the sim could be played without a connection. Does it mean that it will be also sold on DVD at 8.5 GB per disk ? Are we going to see the old times of the 5.25 floppies when a program could come with 10 disks  ? Could they sell it on a SSD (not a bad solution IMHO for the connection challenged simmers) ?

if sold only online, will it crash the 100 GB mark (ouch !) ?

if premature, not so trivial questions 😉 ?

Edited by domkle

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

I'm sure that it will be a download, as stocking & shipping DVD's all over the world will cost a fortune. 

So, take it for granted that the base sim will be a download.

Also, many of us only have laptops, & some do mot have media spinners at all. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

In the avsim interview they expect it to be around 100gb. Which honestly nowadays isn't that big considering what other videogames bring.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

31 minutes ago, Noooch said:

Didn't they already said around 100GB?

I understood it as the footprint on disk.

23 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

I'm sure that it will be a download, as stocking & shipping DVD's all over the world will cost a fortune. 

So, take it for granted that the base sim will be a download.

Also, many of us only have laptops, & some do mot have media spinners at all. 

There will, of course be, a download ! And indeed 12 double layered DVD  would be a big fat box. But they say it could be played with no connection...

20 minutes ago, france89 said:

In the avsim interview they expect it to be around 100gb. Which honestly nowadays isn't that big considering what other videogames bring.

Last large game I bought, DA:I, has a footprint of about 27 GB and I suppose the download size is much less

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 minutes ago, Flamingpie said:

But they didn't say it could be installed with no connection. 😉

It has crossed my mind too. Sneaky, sneaky, sneaky  😃 !

Dominique

14 minutes ago, domkle said:

Last large game I bought, DA:I, has a footprint of about 27 GB and I suppose the download size is much less

Well, i think the average now is around 50-60.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

There are now games requiring 150GB or more space on the disk. Personally I hope they make it as large as possible, since the quality of the offline scenery is directly dependent on that.

It's not the install size that matters; it's the stimulation of the simulation.

-Abe Lincoln, 1855

- Michael Scott, 2007

- Noodle Hoss, 2019

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ChaoticBeauty said:

There are now games requiring 150GB or more space on the disk. Personally I hope they make it as large as possible, since the quality of the offline scenery is directly dependent on that.

I am not speaking of the footprint on HDD/SSD - I agree with you that the larger, the better -  but the compressed size of the download.  A 100+ GB d/l at  .5 Mbps lasts several days 😓...

Well, maybe the gods of simulation will bring me the fiber in time ! 

• Like 1

Dominique

2 minutes ago, domkle said:

I am not speaking of the footprint on HDD/SSD - I agree with you that the larger, the better -  but the compressed size of the download.  A 100+ GB d/l at  .5 Mbps lasts several days 😓...

Well, maybe the gods of simulation will bring me the fiber in time ! 

0.5 Mbps? And here I thought my 6 Mbps was bad.

Regarding compression, I'm not sure whether it depends on the developer or the content delivery system, but I am seeing varying results. I am downloading lots of games right now after installing Windows 10, on Origin the download size is nearly the same as the install size, while on Steam the download size can be cut in half or even more. If anyone knows something more about this the information would be appreciated.

9 minutes ago, nms said:

Boxed X-plane 11 comes on 9 DVDs and takes about 70GB of disk space.

Thanks for the info

Dominique

Because this sim is so highly dependant on an internet connection I can't imagine MS releasing this on DVD's. People who would buy the DVD-version in a local shop would surely be annoyed and frustrated to see they only got a basic and (dare I say it) crippled version of the sim and they need an internet connection anyway to download the real good stuff. And after downloading that real good stuff I am sure they wil think 'Man, I might as well have downloaded the basic sim too' because they will have to download a lot more GB's than they got on those DVD's. 

X-Plane on DVD's is okay because you actually do get the full version with all bells and whistles then but not so with MSFS. With MSFS you won't get the sim on your HD as it is on the box art.

DVD version suck anyway... just look at Aerofly FS 2 where DVD users have to wait longer for updates and fixes and DLC. And just think about reinstalling the sim from DVD's: not only will it take ages but you will also be back to the very first version again, having to look for updates and so on. Not so with an online install (like Steam). DVD's are a thing from the past and MS would be crazy to spend time on developing a DVD version. 

Very unlikely they'll be a boxed version. 

If you've got a slow connection, you'll probably just have to set aside a few weeks to get it downloaded. Then you can fly offline.