Sign in to follow this  
Dave Morgan

Camera or eyepoint movements

Hi.

Is there a way of making the X-Plane camera behave like the three other sims with which I'm familiar (P3D, FS2004 & Flight Unlimited)? What I'd like is...

• In 3D Cockpit, to have the POV hat pan the camera (rotate view left/right up/down) (swivel in place like turning my head).
  • In spot plane view, (outside the aircraft view) to have the POV hat truck the camera (translate left/right up/down) (keeps the plane in the centre of the view while circling the camera around it).
  • It would be the icing if I could also zoom in the 3D cockpit and dolly in the outside view.

So far I've only been experimenting with the X-Plane demo, and this camera problem is frustrating as I can't decide whether or not the improved dynamics and the better-looking (to me) environment outweigh the inability. Once I have my eyepoint set in the virtual cockpit all I want is to look around. Outside the plane I don't want to look away -- I want to see the plane from another angle. I get the impression that it can be done with keyboard & mouse but the crucial point is that my hand is already on the joystick with my thumb in place and I don't really want to be looking away from the monitor to hunt the right key, then transition to the mouse, then back to the keyboard or joystick when I'm done...

So is it possible (or will I just get used to it in time)?

Thanks very much.

D

The coolie hat on my stick works as advertised. Check your control assignments.

If all else fails, try X-Camera. (Plugins work in the demo.)

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

Bjoern, thank you. If you hadn't suggested checking the assignments I'd still be feeling frustrated instead of stupid.

I had the 3D cockpit view so engraved in my mind that I'd set the left & right hat switch buttons to Rotate view: pan left (or right), so messing up the external view.

Setting them to Hat switch left (& right) corrected the external view and... the 3D cockpit is unaffected -- it still pans just as I wanted.

Can we just pretend that I never made the original post?

D

Edited by Dave Morgan
  • Like 1