Sign in to follow this  
birdguy

Bye-bye P3D...

This morning I had planned a flight a nice flight from Queenstown to Christchurch but when I tried to bring up P3Dv4 I got a message telling me a file was missing.  I shut down the computer and did a hard reboot but the same error popped when I attempted to bring up P3D again.  So for the umpteenth time I uninstalled P3Dv4 and will fly P3D no more forever (sorry Chief Joseph).

For two or more years I've struggled first with P3Dv3 and then P3Dv4.  Not constantly, but enough to make this old man decide to give it up.  All the while I spent days writing to tech support and waiting for replies that didn't work and then the next one that might have worked; or hours researching a ton of responses on google and giving up in frustration finally uninstalling and reinstalling and spending days bringing the program back to the state it as in before it crapped out.

And all that time FSX has been running happily along on my D-Drive for years without a hiccup.  In fact I probably have been flying FSX as much if not more than P3D.  

All I want to do is relax for an hour or two (the limit of my simming attention span).  I had the entire Orbx world installed on P3D but only the North American Orbx world on FSX.  But that's plenty of space for an hour's flight.  And a boatload of stuff that P3D spits out like my huge collection of FSX aircraft and all the MIAW military bases and ai flights that work fine if you convert the traffic files from FS9 to FSX.  Not all of them, but most of them.  MAIW made that easy for me. 

Oh, P3D might be more beautiful in a party dress and flashy earings but comfortable old FSX in a housecoat and slippers is the woman for me.

Please don't reply, "You shuda done this or you shuda done that."  More power to you fellas and gals (can't forget you Sue)  who are able to blissfully fly along in P3Dvwhatever.  It's too much woman for me to handle.

Noel

Edited by birdguy
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

Too Bad, P3dv4 has been flawless for me.

• Like 3

I5 9600k@ 4.8ghz    rx580 limping-along   2x  23" 1080P Monitors

Well Birdguy You know which sim to try now. Fly to Clovis etc. With that other sim coming out in 2020,you decide.In my other post,i said that i found a home with X Plane.It gets better as time marches on. HAPPY FLYING!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, birdguy said:

This morning I had planned a flight a nice flight from Queenstown to Christchurch but when I tried to bring up P3Dv4 I got a message telling me a file was missing.  I shut down the computer and did a hard reboot but the same error popped when I attempted to bring up P3D again.  So for the umpteenth time I uninstalled P3Dv4 and will fly P3D no more forever (sorry Chief Joseph).

I can't deny having experienced (very rare) cases like this either. However, what I recall from FSX which I didn't use for ages, it wasn't a paragon of stability either. But if it excels on your system - that's just fine.🙂

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

P3d is my only choice at this time, and it runs fantastically every single day.  I seems YOUR computer prefers FSX.  Enjoy it. I prefer a "hot" woman.

Stan

Edited by spilok
  • Like 1

If I were a betting man, I bet he's trying to get his new women to where his x's cloths :).  I eliminated all P3D problems the day I decided to stop loading FSX designed add-ons (e.g. sceneries , AI traffic, and planes) into P3D; To that point, If it's not coded/designed specifically for P3D, it's not going into my sim.  Since I've adopted that philosophy, I haven't experienced a single hiccup in 2+ years...

• Like 1

Matt King

P3Dv4 has generally been working just about perfect for me as well. However at times I could almost swear that the sim is some kind of Lovecraftian ancient being hell bent on driving me insane when it for some unknown reason just decides to give me a hard time. 

Yesterdays flight can serve as an excellent example when I did I flight I sometimes do and always functions just fine. This time, though, I got wierd pauses in the sim (never had that issue before). I could complete the flight just fine, but I was really annoyed. 

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

20 hours ago, birdguy said:

So for the umpteenth time I uninstalled P3Dv4 and will fly P3D no more forever

You know, I probably have as many or possibly even a few more addons than my friend Rob has, and P3D runs flawless for me as well.

Incidentally, I ran all payware aircraft and airports in FSX (later FSX:SE), and I believe I had about 3/4's or better the number of payware and freeware addons in FSX:SE, and it also ran flawlessly for me.

As much as the sometimes look, the ESP derivatives (all versions of FSX, Flight, and P3D and then some) simply are not plug and play, but neither is this software and setup difficult to understand and manage.  One simply has to avoid taking shortcuts (example:  Ah, I think I can get away with not doing a reboot after an install/uninstall, I think I can get away with installing over an existing addon, etc.), not just updating the P3D Client with version 4.5+, and stick to using native P3Dv4+ addons unless you know what you're doing and how to get them to work without effecting P3D or other addons).  And of course, having a computer truly capable of running the base sim and having the computer configured correctly.

Again, for me FSX and P3D were tremendously stable for me, but here is the kicker.  I used to maintain or help maintain 12 other computers running FSX / P3D, and over the past 14 years the number of computers I did this for exceeds 30 (I've just lost count) and with very few exceptions they too were flawless.

I know it can be frustrating, and my heart goes out to you my friend.  Hopefully the new MS sim will be more plug and play where addons and performance is concerned.

My very best wishes!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

Thanks, Rob!  After seeing that display.....and flying FSX, I must be mingling with lizards!🐍

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

Rob - Wow.

Can you tell me what you used to make that flow chart.  I actually need to make something like that but for a different non-sim reason.  Can you pm me what you used to make it.

Active Pattern: MSFS2020 | In Long term Storage: Prepar3d  

How I Evaluate Third Party Sim Addon Developers

Refined P3Dv5.0 HF2 Settings Part1 (has MaddogX) and older thread Part 2 (has PMDG 747)

Such a shame that the licenses don't allow you ex-FSX guys to pass on your unused software.  🙂

Ernest Pergrem

18 hours ago, Rob_Ainscough said:

To be honest, I'm amazed at how well P3D does work given the complexity of components I've added over the years (diagram is a work in progress):

Well, you definitely have the systems down pat, but the only thing you need is X-plane to power better eye-candy. 

MODERATOR'S NOTE: Please delete most of the quote before typing your reply. Be kind to those members who use their smartphones or tablets.

Edited by n4gix
REMOVED EXCESSIVE QUOTE!!! Please don't quote the entire post you are replying to!

I get a few elevation issues with P3Dv4 as well around New Zealand between ORBX and another addon I can't sort out from last August. I was about to do a complete reinstall as a last resort to fix everything but I decided instead to switch to American Truck Simulator for now. I know when I go back to P3D I am going to have to reinstall it to fix it so I have put that off for almost 3 months now.

What I am going to do instead is enjoy American Truck Simulator until the release of FS2020 that way I can put off the pain of a reinstall for a very long period of time, and if FS2020 is great maybe indefinitely 

Edited by Matthew Kane
Typo

Matthew Kane