Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

Programming joysticks/throttles, please ASOBO finish the job !

Don't give us yet again the FSX/P3D Settings-Controls interface where we cannot program easily, out the box, the curves and all the buttons/switches of our sometimes expensive gears like the Warthog. 

Take a leaf out of DCS book. Everything is accessible and easy to understand (well, almost).

• Upvote 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Actually I would go one further and ask them to take a look at how Elite Dangerous does it.

ED allows you to assign combined keystrokes or button presses to functions.

eg : Joystick Button 5 lowers the flaps.  Hold joystick button 4, and then hold 5 , raises the flaps.

Button 4 is like a mode toggle.

By allowing the user to define combinations, the user can define their own "mode" switches, even multiple mode switches.

A 10 button joystick could produce more than 30 button combinations to do 30 different things.

Edited by smoothchat

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

7 minutes ago, smoothchat said:

Actually I would go one further and ask them to take a look at how Elite Dangerous does it.

ED allows you to assign combined keystrokes or button presses to functions.

eg : Joystick Button 5 lowers the flaps.  Hold joystick button 4, and then hold 5 , raises the flaps.

Button 4 is like a mode toggle.

By allowing the user to define combinations, the user can define their own "mode" switches, even multiple mode switches.

A 10 button joystick could produce more than 30 button combinations to do 30 different things.

That would be very usefull!

Yes! This! So much all of this! Pretty please...with a cherry on top!

• Like 1

Chris

X-Plane 11 controllers / keyboard and mouse GUI is nicely done too in terms of usability. 

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

7 hours ago, Greazer said:

Ditto. X Plane nails some things. Do it like XP.

With the ability to assign multiple simultaneous button presses to get the most from our controllers.

Specs: Win10, 4790K, nVidia 1080ti, Saitek Yoke+Quadrant+Radio/Switch and AP panels, VRInsight 737 overhead, Virtual Avionics 737 MCP. 3 x 1440*900 main display + 1024*600 VDU display. NLR V3 Motion seat. Oculus DK2 CV1 HTC Vive VR headsets.

XP is a disaster IMO, I can't assign my throttle1 for ENG1\3 and throttle2 for ENG2\4, that make me needed to change setting between 2 and 4 (and it even had B52 come with....) engine aircraft. And that couldn't be done easily as well, since there is no sepreation profile for different aircraft, with different add-ons use different input for simular AP functions, and Helio use different collectivepiston than throttle.... and no combination as well....

FSUIPC with the editing in FSUIPCx.ini is still the best I think, It's still decent and easy to use without text editing, like axis range to button,profile per aircraft, and multi-assignment, but with modification in .ini, you can add ablity to condition based on offset, or combination based on key sequence and many more...

Eg. I have a 4-way "street fighter joystick" wired up in buttons use for Flaps(Mainly for sequential gearbox in racing game), in XP, I can only do Up-Down for flaps recation and extention with no safty, some other game, or with things like joy-to-key, I can get left+up for retraction and left+down for extention, But with FSIUPC, I can secure it must be left first then up or down to function, not the other way around!

Eg2. With my saitek throttle, I can set the "REVERSER" notch button for idle reverse, then while holding the notch, press&hold the button under(B2), I can get full reverse, upon release button2, goes back to idle, then relase notch, retract reverser. If throttle2 was not set to the Idle notch, press&hold button2 will not set the ENG2 and ENG3(T1 for ENG1 and 4) to full reverse. That's something I couldn't done in XP or default FS input.

My point is, make a esay to use GUI is great, but still left the room for more fancy "coding" (not that hard in FSUIPC as actual coding though) is very necessary!

• Upvote 2

x-plane joystick setup is nearly perfect in my opinion much better than FSX or P3D (IMHO)
Only things missing are action on button release and native support for saitek/logitech radio and switch panels and extend the usability of trim wheel to interact with autopilot (all things that can be achieved via 3rd party plugins)

Edited by peroni