Sign in to follow this  
aaronkia

No SDK (unpopular opinion)

2 hours ago, F737NG said:

Some developers are likely to want to take the minimalist option of porting across and charging full price for the 'privilege'.
By not allowing backward compatibility to enable simple ports, all developers would need to design products that use the functionality of MSFS as it is meant and not a reuse of their simplified add-on via the implied MSFS legacy module.
That way products are fully compatible and allow simmers to experience MSFS as it should be.

That's a very good point and I had already considered it, and we've certainly been down the road of re-buying the same aircraft at full price (++) before, but I think it comes under buyer's choice. It's the old balancing of the developers' business model versus the simmer purchasing model. Some will be happy to play again for a port-over, some will hold out for something truly new. Neither approach can be deemed "wrong".

The comments previously shouldn't be taken as being against anything new, quite the contrary...the more the new sim differs from the old, the better chance my good intentions of starting afresh and not over-buying add-ons will acually come to pass... :smile:

2 hours ago, aaronkia said:

As consumers do you think the inability to port over existing products might actually encourage new developers to come out of the wood work and provide competition to the already established developers? Competition can only be a positive for us as it would drive developers to create even more impressive products.. 

Imagine if PMDG redeveloped their products to take advantage of new features and we were given a product of exceptional performance, features and graphics..

It's this exact thinking why our current sims are outdated and lacking behind.. sometimes it takes a neophilic person to drive a bit of change, Paul.

Gee thanks for the lecture, but please quote the bit where I said I was against change. My use of the word neophilia was in reference to intolerance for the old, rather than embracing of the new.

2 hours ago, domkle said:

Weren't we newbie once, Paul  😉 ?

PS I am also horrrified by what he proposes 

I'm suddenly more interested in where you got a 4.4 GHz 4770 in 1981. :biggrin:

Just now, Holdit said:

I'm suddenly more interested in where you got a 4.4 GHz 4770 in 1981. :biggrin:

Well, I was a neophiliac then, looking forward to drive a bit of change. 

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, aaronkia said:

As consumers do you think the inability to port over existing products might actually encourage new developers to come out of the wood work and provide competition to the already established developers? 

Why ? The history of the last 13 years has shown that  the porting over of aircraft from FSX to P3D v1,2, 3 and 4 was in no way an obstacle to new comers and new technologies. We have seen them blooming !   

Imagine if PMDG redeveloped their products to take advantage of new features and we were given a product of exceptional performance, features and graphics.

Why in the world do you think they won't do just that ? 

In a more general way, I will give you idea Let people decide what they want to buy, and let the companies which have shown great talent, do what they do best, bring great addons the way they feel fit. You don't like it, don't buy it ! 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 3

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

23 hours ago, aaronkia said:

When the new sim eventually launches I am actually hoping they do not release a SDK for developers to simply port over products. I'm sure many many people have spent thousands in total on their current sim (don't worry, I am one of those people too) but I believe this would really be a backwards step for something that is meant to be one giant leap forward for us.

But you don't have to buy them, particularly if they're just ported over. It's happened in the past - ports of FS9 add-ons into FSX. They mostly worked but weren't nearly as good as native FSX add-ons. I think the same will be true of the new sim. Commercial add-ons (unlike most freeware) tend to get reviewed and if no effort was put in to utilising the new features, I'm sure that this would be pointed out and the sales would be low.

• Like 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit