Sign in to follow this  
Brianl

Head Movement in the Cockpit

For the last few weeks I've been delighted by my new combination of P3D with HP Reverb headset. Today I flew the helicopter from Hethel to the nearby Tacleneston radio tower and back. In the first few weeks of Reverb I could move around in the cockpit and everything stayed where it should be; I could even poke my head through the right door and look down to the ground beneath over the right skid! Amazing. But on today's flight I could not do this. As I move my head around the cockpit everything else moves around with it, for example when I lean forward to adjust the transponder's squawk code the transponder moves away from me. And, strangely, when I play back the flight using P3D's Analysis, the problem vanishes and I can lean forward to see the instrument panel more clearly.

Does anyone have a clue what's happening?

All the best,

Brian

Is there enough ambient light where you are (so that the cameras can sense your head movement?

Petraeus

It is important to run WMR Software first, put on your HMD, Look Left, Right and Down (this calibrates your HMD). After that you can put it off and start P3D. What you are describing is that the 6DOF is not working. So you can look left/right/up/down but the environment, sticks with the movement.

This can also happen in game already. One of the trigger is to less light in your real environment. Than your HMD can´t find enough "reference-spots" to measure and make movements possible. In that case turn off al your HMD related software. Means:

1. Disable VR View in P3D (so go back to normal view) while P3D is running. Leave P3D running. It doesn´t matter
  2. Turn off Steam VR for WMR
  3. Turn off Steam (Important to close Steam VR completely! Minimizing could cause problems/avoid to calibrate in WMR Software again (Step 6)
  4. Turn off WMR
  5. Start WMR
  6. Put HMD on. look left/right and to the floor
  7. Start VR via the P3D VR Menu....which startsup Steam VR
  8. Ready to go again

Regards Marcus

Edited by mpo910

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Thanks Patraeus and Marcus, I'll do what you suggest when I get home. My real desktop is usually quite dim so that my view of the display isn't spoilt by sunlight through the blinds. And I never use the reverb controllers, don't need them for flight sim. There's nothing on my desk, the desk top is plain grey with nothing on it but the monitor; I can well believe that the cameras are struggling to follow my head movements.

I'll let you know what happens.

Brian

Well folks you solved it. Marcus suggestion worked when I next encountered the problem. And when I open the blinds now to let more light in, Patraeus suggestion prevents the problem. Many thanks to both of you.

Brian