Sign in to follow this  
johnbla

Honeycomb suction mounting pad

Could anyone please comment on the quality of this mounting method as the clamps will not work on my desk. Thanks.

For the rest of us still on the sidelines could you please post photos of your desk and the yoke so that we can see what will not work, and why.  That could be a huge issue for many of us see.  Thanks!

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

https://drive.google.com/open?id=18xqby-b_DGyBQLifnq-VUJj5ZrHf5Cxz

Just recently installed this yoke on my smooth, flat desk.   The suction mount is very sturdy, and allows me to operate without clamps as my desk doesn't accommodate them.   So far the  yoke operation is very impressive, has the perfect amount of tension...

Waiting for the throttle controls to be released from Honeycomb.....

John

Hi Guys,

I have an oak table for my desk, so i was concerned about how mounting was going to work out with the Alpha Yoke.

The clamps aren't working since the table has a vertical piece of wood only a couple of inches past the edge.

I tried the nano-suction pad and it works GREAT. I cleaned the table, placed the mounting plate on the table and removed it. There is no residue on the table at all, and the pad is unaffected. I've placed it and removed it a couple of times and it's fine.

One tip - there are two tabs that flip up on the top edge of the mounting plate. Flip those up to provide pressure to get the pad to release. I think it's best to not rush removing the mounting plate from the table. I flipped the tabs up and let it sit for a few seconds and i was easily able to remove the the plate by slowly pulling up with my fingers.

Thanks!

Don.

I would like to offer an additional thumbs up about the suction pad mounting.  My desk was too thick to use the G clamps that came with my yoke so I used the suction pad and find it works just fine. It locks in just fine after tightening the rear adjusters.  A very nice piece of equipment for the money.

This is good to know as I also plan on using the suction method on my desk for this yoke.

What about mounting the Saitek/Logitech throttle quadrant....are there any simple alternative methods (im not skilled working with my hands) for mounting this to my desk without using it's C-clamp (which doesnt fit my due to getting in the way of my keyboard tray)?

Just having unboxed the yoke I see that the suction pad has a sticky adhesive surface.  On repated mounting and removal (my table is used for work during the week) will the adheviness reduce and therefore the mount become less secure?

• Like 1

On 1/4/2020 at 9:51 PM, soloraj said:

Just having unboxed the yoke I see that the suction pad has a sticky adhesive surface.  On repated mounting and removal (my table is used for work during the week) will the adheviness reduce and therefore the mount become less secure?

How did this go? All this time I was using a table that could use the clamps but not anymore. I changed the table and have to use it for both work and flightsim with only option to use suction pads. worried about the adhesive getting worse as repeated reapplication. 

Zain Uddin

I switched to using the clamps so unfortunately I don't have long term experience of using the suction pad.

I have the same problem with the Bravo -- clamps don't work on my desk. Does anybody have any long term experience with the adhesive durability?

Thanks

P.

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

11 hours ago, pgde said:

Does anybody have any long term experience with the adhesive durability?

I'm using a different product with same "technology " for a couple of years and works flawlessly. If you need to remove continuously and adhesive action reduces just need to rinse with water, Voilá !! 

• Like 1

I just bought the alpha and the sticky mount worked great for a day. As I was landing today it came off, was really exciting at the time, had to use trim and throttle to get on the ground, but I saved it. The first time I did use it I wiped the desk with alcohol , didn’t wipe it the next day I installed it, that’s when it came off. Will try cleaning pad with water to see if that helps. Quite a bit if force needed on elevator needed to move it.

ROG MAXIMUS X HERO, Intel Core i7 8700K, 32 GB's 3200 RAM, Gigabyte RTX3080,

My mounting of the Yoke and Throttle. My Bravo & Alpha mount. I found that the mounting clamps was in the way for my legs and I wasn't that fond off those suctions plates, so I got an extra cheep desk shelf that I laid on the desk. Then I screwed the mounting plate directly on that extra desk shelf so I could have my ordinary desk shelf unharmed. If neccesary, I just could lift that extra shelf of and juse my desk as an ordinary desk. 

Come here you big, beautiful cup of coffee and lie to me about how much we’re going to get done today.

I've done essentially what Cloudpiercing  has done. Got 24"x 48" x 1/4" piece of smooth plywood, painted it white and mounted the Alpha & Bravo with tiny little screws, That plus adhesive pad holds. If I need to, I can just lift the board off the desk. Initially, I just used the adhesive, but removing it several times for adjustment seemed to have weakened it. Washing with clear water helped for a while, Going into a slow left bank, the yoke came loose. I could have used two more hands to recover, but managed to hit Active Pause.