Sign in to follow this  
Arthur42417

UPDATE: SKY SIMULATIONS MD-11 V2.2

i know alot of ppl on Avsim hate this plane but i think it's ok if you just want something Lite with no 500page manual to read....Today it got updated again 🙂

Upgrade from MD-11 V2.0 to 2.2. Includes:

NEW! PBR TEXTURES

NEW! FMC VERTICAL NAVIGATION ADDED

UPGRADED FMC 

NEW! AIRCRAFT MANAGER

Fix and upgrade some minor issues from the previous edition.

i own this payware with the TSS Soundpack and it feels and sounds great.....NO STUDY LEVEL but seriously how many ppl here in 2019 read 1000page manuals and then fly p3dv4 at 15fps into a payware Airport😅  The fps on this md11 are great and now with version 2.2 i like it even more👍  The Sky Sim MD11 will be the only MD11 on p3dv4.....no other devs incl. LORD PMDG will ever make it for p3dv4.

p.s THE PILOTS MOVE IN THE COCKPIT, WIPERS WORK, CALLOUTS FOR T/O AND LANDING, ETC. for all you immersion pilots out there👍😅😂

Edited by Arthur42417
  • Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Great to see they are updating this bird!

• Upvote 1

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

Thanks for posting!

5 hours ago, Arthur42417 said:

NEW! FMC VERTICAL NAVIGATION ADDED

UPGRADED FMC 

NEW! AIRCRAFT MANAGER

While the PBR is very nice, this caught my eye. Can anybody comment on what 'upgraded FMC' means? What functions were added, and how good is the added VNAV? If the plane does LNAV and VNAV properly, I might just go ahead and get this plane.

Benjamin van Soldt

Windows 10 64bit - i5-8600k @ 4.7GHz - ASRock Fatality K6 Z370 - EVGA GTX1070 SC 8GB VRAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX @ 3200MHz - Samsung 960 Evo SSD M.2 NVMe 500GB - 2x Samsung 860 Evo SSD 1TB (P3Dv4/5 drive) - Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200RPM - Seasonic FocusPlus Gold 750W - Noctua DH-15S - Fractal Design Focus G (White) Case

As an FSX:SE user of the V2.0, I too am curious. I posted up a similar thread in the FSX section.:cool:

EDIT: I asked this question over in that section, but in order to access a wider user base, I hope the mods don't mind me asking here. It appears that the exe tells me that the software is already present. I presume I should uninstall it and try again?

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I finally caved a got it with the PBR.  I'm already cutting into their metallic files and altering them as what I'm seeing isn't exactly top notch.  The Green channel they used for dirt instead of shadows for one...Will see what I can come up with.

• Like 2

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

While some will not really notice the difference unless pointed out.  Here is a quick comparison.  I've gotten the big work done for the fuselage I think. Now I just need to do the tail and engines then go back and get really picky about all the details.  The first shot is the SkySim PBR FedEx aircraft.  The second is mine.  I adjusted the paint layer to be less metallic and dialed down the reflective properties to match any of my previous work on other aircraft.  It gives a less mirror like finish but still retains some reflective properties as paint does and its noticeably different than the metal areas of the aircraft.  The biggest difference can be seen from the green channel.  I don't know what possessed them to put the dirt and panel lines on the shadow layer but leave shadows off it.  So I made a custom green channel as best as I could, I think its a good compromise.  So now their dirt won't be so discoloring as you can see on their work (first image belly).  Once I get into my own custom liveries I'll probably put my own dirt and what not and apply to my custom alpha channel (reflective properties) where that stuff belongs.

Update (10 min later): So apparently the Green Channel was done right on the engines and tail....idk what got into them on the fuselage....

48914978178_88aa3a72d2_b.jpg

48914978078_e5089ed85f_b.jpg

Edited by thibodba57
  • Like 4

Brian Thibodeaux | B747-400/8, C-130 Flight Engineer, CFI, Type Rated: BE190, DC-9 (MD-80), B747-400

beta.gif   

My Liveries

So I'll paint the plane because I like PBR, but as before in their older version (v1).  The aircraft itself is on par with Abacus.  The autopilot lost 400' in Altitude hold in a 60 degree turn (2000fpm) then corrected back to the MCP alittude just to over shoot that by 300' then porpused back and forth until it finally settled on the MCP altitude.  Truly horrendous programming.  Speed control is all over the place from assigned as well (Minus 0 Plus 30).  They need to get their game together and fix some things that in my min are more important than some VNAV profile.  If they can't even maintain altitude or speed VNAV isn't going to do anything for anyone.

Update to this aircraft Autoflight system.  On departure, Autoflight engaged selected a 180* turn and a altitude to 2600 under V/S.  Upon reaching the selected altitude and in the turn the aircraft started pitching down as if it was unable to increase the AoA in a turn.  Continued with its turn and got to a point of 4000 fpm descent without any attempt to really correct the issue.  Just wow.

Edited by thibodba57

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Here's a link to a completed PBR update by me.  Latest update was a change to the alpha layers.  6 areas improved, the fuselage 3 files, the tail and the Engine pylons and engine turbine metal.  They had assigned it all assigned as if it was painted. So I changed them to a metallic texture and dialed the reflection way back.  Just drop the 6 files in the zip folder in any livery you want to test it out on. If you are satisfied with the results you can drop them in the common texture folder. Make sure you make backups first.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c5eju4s3090mk57/SkySimMD11_PBR_update.zip?dl=0

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

beta.gif   

My Liveries

In addition to fixing their PBR job I'm fixing their Paintkit.  My paintkit will have the different files merged into one paintkit that people are used to working with now, all the different segments will be merged as well for easy sorting and exporting.  I'll have a base layer that is for PBR without shadows and one base layer with shadows so there won't be an overly dark texture to the aircraft.  At that point I'll create a metal base kit, this kit will be the same as the PMDG 747 metal kit I made.  the first all metal livery I make will probably be a Eastern replica DC-10.

My paintkit test bed aircraft being worked on below.  Still lots of work to be done, lots of work to be done combing thru layers to make sure everything will be able to bounce from Freighter to Passenger and between the metal and painted aircraft mediums.

48920706463_d44c0ea01c_b.jpg

A side note, I've been on medical from work for the last 2-3 months so I've been able to upload a decent amount of work such as the PMDG Metal kits.  I just got cleared to go back to flying so my pace might slow down here the moment they start finding flights for me.  Hopefully I can finish this kit up before that happens. I'm anxious to see everyones work!

• Like 2

beta.gif   

My Liveries

Don’t mind me dropping in from the FSX version, but I have quite a concerning issue with the 2.2 update: My FMC is gone, kaput. Not in the VC, nor a pop-up gauge. Have any of you P3D fellas had a similar issue?

image for reference:Screenshot_235.png

And before anyone asks, yes. I’ve tried reinstalling it multiple times. Yes, I made sure no prior versions were installed prior to installation. And NO, it did not seem to have an effect

Edited by CatnipLeaves
  • Upvote 1

On 10/17/2019 at 10:02 PM, thibodba57 said:

......Continued with its turn and got to a point of 4000 fpm descent without any attempt to really correct the issue.  Just wow.

Could she have run out of available STAB TRIM?

I know I'm using FSX:SE, but this may have some bearing on the situation, I don't know. I got her relatively slow, using autopilot, about 170 knots, with full flaps and she didn't maintain altitude because she was up against full aft trim. This was the default "fly now" meaning the aeroplane was fully loaded minus a few thousand pounds of fuel. However, take a look at this.... the MOIs in the aircraft config file have been massively increased.

OLD values

;Moments of Inertia
empty_weight_pitch_MOI   = 5494000
empty_weight_roll_MOI    = 1790000
empty_weight_yaw_MOI     = 6965000
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 1020

NEW values

;Moments of Inertia
empty_weight_pitch_MOI   = 15061503 
empty_weight_roll_MOI    = 4460989 
empty_weight_yaw_MOI     = 13220207 
empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 1020

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but increasing the inertia would surely decrease control effectiveness?

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

3 hours ago, HighBypass said:

Could she have run out of available STAB TRIM?

I know I'm using FSX:SE, but this may have some bearing on the situation, I don't know. I got her relatively slow, using autopilot, about 170 knots, with full flaps and she didn't maintain altitude because she was up against full aft trim. This was the default "fly now" meaning the aeroplane was fully loaded minus a few thousand pounds of fuel. However, take a look at this.... the MOIs in the aircraft config file have been massively increased.

OLD values

NEW values

I could be barking up the wrong tree, but increasing the inertia would surely decrease control effectiveness?

I'll try those values. I was able to dial down the proposed cannibalizing from other aircrafts autopilot entries. Also edited some data in the .air file.  A lot better but still ugly.  I think the trim might be PART of the problem. It's not that it hits its max UP/DWN its the rate it's doing it I think. It's extremely fast.

• Like 1

beta.gif   

My Liveries

I'll just add this to the mix.  Their original metal work is at the top.  Mine is the bottom. You compare and decide which is better for whatever your reasons.  I did happen to notice there are NO placards to any of the doors so unfortunately I can't let that stand and I'll be adding them which is gonna take awhile, fortunately I can work on that from my laptop when I head out.  Unfortunately I can't push all the metal medium changes I need to adjust for those placards.  So what I have now might be as far as I get with the base until all that work is done.  I know I know, you guys are biting your nails in anticipation <Not> hehe.  For the mean time, the link to replacement metallic files are above you can atleast fly around with that correct.

48924490296_674e3d7e78_o.jpg

48923956338_c3f4211c29_o.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

beta.gif   

My Liveries

FWIW Brian I've had a look at the SDK formula for calculating rough, ballpark MOIs and the new larger values seem to be more correct...

MOI = EmptyWeight * (D^2 / K)

where K = 810 for pitch, 1870 for roll & 770 for yaw (where D = 0.5 * (length+span divided by 2)

To be fair, I should have perhaps not tried to go for a landing configuration close to MTOW - she'd be too heavy anyway.

Mark Robinson