Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Is Google the next to enter Flight Simulation (Speculation)?

I think this is an interesting conversation while we wait for more news.  Clearly Bing Maps is the foundation of MSFS modernization and the only competitor to Bing Maps in the consumer world is Google Maps.  Google has even invested quite a bit more than Bing in it's mapping technology.  Partly because Google saw the consumer search benefit of having the best maps in the world and got out ahead of MS.  I feel MSFS biggest appeal to the general consumer is the exploration of the world and learning to properly fly a close second.  Google, over the years, has dipped it toe in the global exploration market with it's Google Earth and VR products.  It definitely means something to them to bring the world alive, but they of course have never taken a 'true gaming' route to show off the technology.  I think there is potential for Google to look at this and say, wait, we are the only other ones with enough mapping data and resources to bring a competitor to the market, maybe we can develop a flight simulator to compete and blow MSFS world out of the water with our superior global data.  More consumers exploring and viewing Google world, means more consumers searching with Google products...right?  Maybe, not sure their executives would see it that way.

Of course I see the natural evolution that MS was set up for being that they have a great Flight Simulator history and an actual gaming department, but Stadia is coming.  It's hard for me to see Google developing a real flight simulator like MSFS is trying to do because it doesn't fit their mold as far as I can tell, but I don't know, something tells me with their vast resources they might see an opportunity.

19 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

I think this is an interesting conversation while we wait for more news.  Clearly Bing Maps is the foundation of MSFS modernization and the only competitor to Bing Maps in the consumer world is Google Maps.  Google has even invested quite a bit more than Bing in it's mapping technology.  Partly because Google saw the consumer search benefit of having the best maps in the world and got out ahead of MS.  I feel MSFS biggest appeal to the general consumer is the exploration of the world and learning to properly fly a close second.  Google, over the years, has dipped it toe in the global exploration market with it's Google Earth and VR products.  It definitely means something to them to bring the world alive, but they of course have never taken a 'true gaming' route to show off the technology.  I think there is potential for Google to look at this and say, wait, we are the only other ones with enough mapping data and resources to bring a competitor to the market, maybe we can develop a flight simulator to compete and blow MSFS world out of the water with our superior global data.  More consumers exploring and viewing Google world, means more consumers searching with Google products...right?  Maybe, not sure their executives would see it that way.

Of course I see the natural evolution that MS was set up for being that they have a great Flight Simulator history and an actual gaming department, but Stadia is coming.  It's hard for me to see Google developing a real flight simulator like MSFS is trying to do because it doesn't fit their mold as far as I can tell, but I don't know, something tells me with their vast resources they might see an opportunity.

Having a streaming service isn't the same as having gaming studios. Besides that, I think would be more probable to see some other gaming studio partnering google to do such task. But it will depend on how successful Microsoft will be with the MSFS2020.

• Like 1

7800X3D@H170i // Msi RTX 4090 Trio // 32GB DDR5 6000mhz CL30 // 2TB + 1TB Nvme
Dell 27" 2127DGF - 1440p - Gsync - 165hz 
Thrustmaster TCA Sidestick Airbus // TCA Quadrant Airbus // TFRP T.Flight Rudder Pedals // Logitech Flight Multi Panel

They could run Google ads right there on your horizon and listen in on your ATC calls to know what type of coffee and whiskey you like while you fly. The sim could be free as long as you they could track your browsing habits...

Edited by kowen
  • Upvote 1

It would take Google years to get anywhere near Microsoft Flight Simulator, after all MS admitted this themselves,if they hadn't used sections of FSX that were still perfectly usable in a next Gen FS.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

32 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Clearly Bing Maps is the foundation of MSFS modernization and the only competitor to Bing Maps in the consumer world is Google Maps

Actually there is also Apple maps that also has a fair number of 3D cities and more than Bing in places like the UK.

• Upvote 1

I don't see how it would fit into Google's business model either. At least not a fully fledged flight sim like those here would like. Maybe a simple tech demo for VR like the current Google Earth flight sim is. And on top of that, I also wouldn't trust them to stick with it for long. Do a search for "Google Spring Cleaning" and have a read about how quick they are to start something new and then drop it when it isn't working out, or they lose interest.

1 minute ago, tonywob said:

Actually there is also Apple maps that also has a fair number of 3D cities and more than Bing in places like the UK.

True, but as eaim points out:

1 minute ago, eaim said:

It would take Google years to get anywhere near Microsoft Flight Simulator, after all MS admitted this themselves,if they hadn't used sections of FSX that were still perfectly usable in a next Gen FS.

So not only would they have to develop a brand new and credible flight sim, Google would have to compete against a long-established and recognised franchise for a market which many here claim is never going to be that big.

Better to set their fledgling first-party game studio on creating AAA-like gaming titles to win over gamers to their Stadia gaming platform.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Hmmm,  Laminoogle ou Googlinar 👀 ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam