Sign in to follow this  
wardp

Help for a newbie please

Hi all

I am thinking of trying VR and watching many hours of Youtube video it seems I have now to decide on which way to go but before I pull the trigger could you help me with the following questions.

1 I am thinking of going for the Oculus Rift S (or maybe the HP Reverb) but with my IPD of 67.4 would the Rift S be the better option as I believe it has a larger Sweet spot but is my IPD likely to be a problem even though it is within the specified range or should I really be looking at the Cosmos?

2 I wear glasses (varifoculs) which I understand is not a problem with the Rift S but does the Reverb also allow for the user to wear glasses without too much discomfort?

3 I would want to use VR for some flights and other times my 4k monitor, is switching over as simple as saving the P3D.CFG, Controls.CFG and possibly the  exe.xml/dll.xml files for each option and switching between the 2 sets before launching P3D or is it more involved than that?

4 Can the Chaseplane program be used in VR?

I know no one can give me a definitive answer but any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

I have an IPD of 70 and the Rift S works fine for me. Your mileage may vary.

Oculus software and controllers are arguably the best available.

Eyeglass inserts are available for most computer vr hmd's

Switching to vr in P3D requires only for you to select the option in the P3D drop-down.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Thanks HiFlyer that's very encouraging. I thought of saving a Prepar3d.cfg file specifically for VR with lower graphic settings to increase frame rates.

Asus Maximus Hero XI , i7-8086, 16 Gb RAM, nVidia GTX 1080 ti

1 hour ago, wardp said:

Thanks HiFlyer that's very encouraging. I thought of saving a Prepar3d.cfg file specifically for VR with lower graphic settings to increase frame rates.

P3d has a function for saving graphics profiles in the settings. No need to mess around with config files, VR or not.