Sign in to follow this  
JustanotherPilot

Qantas Sydney to New York Non Stop 19 hour flight

I hate these long haul flights in economy. I recently flew emirates from Dubai to Dallas. 17.5 hours? Sheesh... I just about died. Their business on their 777 is 2+4+2 is awful too. ..I would think.

I've flown Cathay pacific Hongkong to NY in their 777 with its 1+2+1 seating in business which is also close to 17 hours and that was good.

Edited by Manny
  • Upvote 1

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

It's all well & good beating long haul flight records, but comfort levels need to increase, not only for health & wellbeing of individual pax, but also evacuating the jet in an emergency.

As has been mentioned in another thread, we should hark back to the comfort and cabin space levels of decades gone by if a person is to be on a flight for most of a day.

Yes, numbers per airliner would have to decrease and thus fares would skyrocket, but at least air travel would be a privilege and not a right as it seems to be these days..

(Not that I can afford to anyhow LOL!)

EDIT: At least Qantas seemed to have a common sense approach regarding collecting data, according to the article.

Edited by HighBypass

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Wasn't it New York to Sydney?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Manny said:

I hate these long haul flights in economy.

They all hate that , so those super long haul flights even don't come with economy class seats at all.

It's far cheaper to make a "tech(ish)" stop, than take that much fuel at start, and cost is what economy class cares the most.

Since only those guys above business class need to cut the time for transfer, why bother to carry economy seats.

7 hours ago, spilok said:

Wasn't it New York to Sydney?

yes it  was,  it  was  a  test  flight(had  about  50 or  so  test  passengers)  but   for  it  to  work  they  need  to  get  a bigger  aircraft if  they  want  a  full load  of  passengers  etc 

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

It has to be tough on the pilots and flight attendants too.  I was on a 14 hour flight sitting in the front row of seats in Economy.  I could easily stand up and move around w/o bothering others but it was still rough and I couldn't wait for the aircraft to land.  The people around me were irritated too.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Oh, Man!  If I didn't have asteroids at the start of the flight, I would be sure to have them at the end (or is it IN the end)?:blink:

• Like 2

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

It has to be tough on the pilots and flight attendants too. 

Depending on the airline, everything more than 9-10 hours flight time is usually enlarged, that's at least one additional pilot plus two additional flight attendants.  

On a 14hrs flight this means at least 4hrs of sleep for each pilot and flight attendant. 

Nevertheless, approaching the end of such long flight you really exhausted and keeping alert etc. during the approach is far from being easy! 

Edited by FDEdev
  • Like 1

The benefit of Ultra Long-Haul flights is that for people willing and able to pay extra, there's no 'middle of the night' (whether actual or body clock equivalent) flight transfer that needs negotiating which currently takes place on 1+ stops.

I've done LGW - DXB - HKG and LHR - IAD - GRU - GIG.
Having had the option to go non-stop afterwards, I found the direct flights to be a lot more pleasant and I felt a lot more refreshed versus stopping, disembarking, going through security, waiting at gate and then finally board again process.

At least there's choice for both types of passenger.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

15 minutes ago, F737NG said:

I found the direct flights to be a lot more pleasant and I felt a lot more refreshed versus stopping, disembarking, going through security, waiting at gate and then finally board again process.

Interesting. I always dislike long flights, especially due to the humidity dropping to 6-8% which isn't exactly pleasant or healthy.

It would be Interesting to see what the payload available is on this flight.

The chances of a medical diversion and passenger rage increase markedly with ULR flights. Imagine being seated next to a screaming child for the duration of the flight!

No thanks. These routes are not suitable for subsonic flight. Who wants to work for 2.5  eight hour works days non stop?

Cheers

Steve Hall

The trouble with long haul flights is it is a definite risk of getting Deep Vein Thrombosis which can be deadly. People have to get up and move around as much as possible.

• Upvote 1

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals