Sign in to follow this  
Dillon

Getting a little worried with what FS will actually be

Getting a little worried with a few items that haven't been focused on yet with only a few months until release (a short time in terms of major features to the sim being complete considering the five year development cycle).  No real mention of ATC and seasons.  AI is very sketchy as well.  The ability to incorporate an updated package like Ultimate Traffic would be perfect right out the box as a start.  They can develop the SDK to expand on the ATC engine to incorporate third party development of some really cool ideas but default ATC is a standard mainstay in the FS series now.  The talk of real world ATC is complex and who would man it, how would that work with AI? We now have a justified reason for a subscription fee thanks to the global cloud scenery but are we looking at one season in this new sim world?  What's going on with our third party developers and this new sim?

It's not truly a 'Flight Simulator' upgrade with scenery, weather, and flight dynamics alone.  That would be on the level of XPlane (minus the weather component). The interactive world is what sets Flight Simulator apart since FS2002.  Any role back of all that we have now would be unfortunate and for most of us a reason to stay with sims like P3D (for ever how long that lasts).  It would be a repeat of the excuses we heard with FLIGHT.  There's allot of great things being offered so far but there's allot of things mysteriously omitted this far into the project.  The door is fully open for excuses down the road, promises of features coming later, and the age old "We're not focused on that right now", etc.  I've been around long enough to know what happen prior to FSX's release where the community was involved only to be let down by a great many things.  I hope I'm wrong and this new sim builds on all the things we have now and not cut corners on key features.  If they opt for cutting features it's a toss up on how successful this will ultimately be...

• Upvote 1

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

4 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Getting a little worried with a few items that haven't been focused on yet with only a few months until release (a short time in terms of major features to the sim being complete considering the five year development cycle).

What do you mean by a few months? They've only said it will be released next year, not when. Given that the project is still in the alpha stage, there is a long road to travel before the final release, including going through a beta cycle too. At this point they are still locking down the features that will be included and have talked about seasons, AI, VR and ATC, all of which are still under review. Looking at this, I wouldn't expect a release date until the second half of next year, and probably even the third quarter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

I hear ya' OP - but I think it's too early to worry yet.

I won't be surprised if this doesn't fully release until around a full year from now (or even holiday 2020)

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Dillon said:

Getting a little worried with a few items that haven't been focused on yet with only a few months until release

Actually I'd say more like a year away.  Or close to it. 

It's pretty early to be that worried about anything.  This is great new technology, and it will get into our sim lives sooner rather than later, no matter what or how we fly.

• Like 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

There won’t be seasons at launch.

They confirmed this week that AI and ATC are being worked on.

52 minutes ago, bonchie said:

There won’t be seasons at launch.

Could you quote where they said that?  Also, whatever they said about AI and ATC.  Thanks.

Hook

• Like 1

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

6 hours ago, Dillon said:

We now have a justified reason for a subscription fee thanks to the global cloud scenery but are we looking at one season in this new sim world?

Wut?

5800X3D. 32 GB RAM. 1TB SATA SSD. 3TB HDD. RTX 3070 Ti.

A perpetual summer sim just won't work.  There is no point in them creating the perfect weather environment if you're going to see summer textures in hard winter regions.  It just doesn't make sense.  If they are as keen to make this the sim they say they are, then they will address this for sure.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, ErichB said:

"A perpetual summer sim just won't work...."

Even as an FSX user myself, I suspect that there is a plethora of X-Plane users who would disagree.

Edited by RustyFlyer
word omission
  • Like 5

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

Just now, RustyFlyer said:

I suspect that there is a plethora of X-Plane users who would disagree.

Let's not even go there.

6 minutes ago, ErichB said:

Let's not even go there.

Works for me! (relic FSX user here)

• Like 1

i7-12700K; GF RTX 3080Ti 12 GB; MSI Z690 MB; 32 GB DDR5 4800Mhz (16x2); 850W 80+ Gold PS; 1 TB M.2 NVMe SSD + 2 TB HDD @ 7200 + Kingston 4TB XS2000 USB 3.2 Gen 2x2 Ext. SSD (for MSFS & all games); 240 mm liquid cooler; LG 32UD59-B 32" UHD 4K; Thrustmaster T.16000M FCS stick; wired conn. to rtr. (500 Mbps); W11 Pro

15 hours ago, Dillon said:

Getting a little worried with a few items that haven't been focused on yet with only a few months until release (a short time in terms of major features to the sim being complete considering the five year development cycle)(See below).

Okay, I know I'm old and British, but  many, many years ago when I was at school part of our English tuition consisted of something called comprehension! No, I'm not trying to be facetious or snide, I'm just bewildered! All of the above has been covered and in some cases answered. The material containing these answers is freely available online. I would suggest those in the dark avail themselves of it.

"Getting a little worried with a few items that haven't been focused on yet with only a few months until release (a short time in terms of major features to the sim being complete considering the five year development cycle)"

FACT: FS has been in development since 2016! Asobo, unlike many developers working under time constraints who use "shotgun mode" in their development, are far more surgical in their approach, focusing on and honing in on certain features until they are fully functional. They also said that the "legacy mode" is fully functional and can be used if required. ( How this functions within the new FS framework has yet to be revealed, but it's there if required)

YES! The Following Will Be In FS, Eventually:

(1) AI Aircraft (following RW routes)

(2) Shipping Worldwide

(3) ATC

(4) Aircraft persistence i.e. wear and tear, aircraft performance will deteriorate over time and require repair etc

(5) Flamingos

(6) VR Support

(7) Seasons (self evident)

I know the Devs spoke with a mixture of German and French accents, so listen carefully to the following video (you may have to turn it up in certain places) This video is the best quality as far as hearing what the devs are actually saying:

Edited by n4gix
Snipped out the majority of the useless full quote. Please STOP quoting the complete message. You do have a "Delete" key you know... :(
  • Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR and BATC FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

At Cosford, some Devs reckon the the initial release could still end up being just short of 2 years away, even then MS will only release a Sim without some features which will come at a later date, take your time MS and do this right, we (the simmers) will benefit in the long run, in the meantime we still have some great flight sims to fly with.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

12 hours ago, Dillon said:

It's not truly a 'Flight Simulator' upgrade with scenery, weather, and flight dynamics alone.  That would be on the level of XPlane (minus the weather component).

I think it's definitely an upgrade with those improvements. Leaving aside the new weather system for a moment, X-Plane, or any other sim for that matter, doesn't even come close to the scenery we've seen in the new sim. The flight model could well also be better. As to the weather, if it's delivered as advertised, it will be a huge improvement over anything (including payware add-ons) available at the moment. I would certainly buy it with just those improvements.

Edited by vortex681
  • Like 2

i7-6700k | Asus Maximus VIII Hero | 16GB RAM | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X Plus | Samsung Evo 500GB & 1TB | WD Blue 2 x 1TB | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | AOC 2560x1440 monitor | Win 10 Pro 64-bit