Sign in to follow this  
Quasimodo

HP Reverb vs Samsung Odyssey plus

I would like to know from anyone who has made the jump from the Odyssey Plus to the HP Reverb what their experience was. Was it OMG I didn't think it could get better than the Odyssey Plus or Boy I am glad I didn't sell the Odyssey plus before I got this thing so I can send the Reverb back for a refund! I sold my Odyssey plus about 4 months ago. Not because I was dissatisfied with it but because I was moving a good 4000km from Toronto to Victoria and I had to get ride of a lot of stuff.

Now I am in the market for a replacement and I'm wondering if I should get another Odyssey plus of get with the HP Reverb. So if you have had both and use P3D V4.5 your feedback is much 😁

I can only compare with a Samsung Odyssey 1.0 and the different is Hugh BUT to get all out of it you need a beefy machine and a couple of sacrifices in P3D to get acceptable frame rates but more important now, Frame Time. The latest upgrade within P3d 4.5 makes it al better and better and also Win10 and Steam is evolving in it but please don't forget, It's a 4K solution. I started as you can read here and there with the Reverb on a old Sandy Bridge 2600K with 16Gb and a 1060-6Gb cpu and have had a lot of fun with it in P3D and much better then the Odyssey I ditched due to low resolution, Now I'm on a 9600K with 32Gb and a Titan XP 12Gb Vram card and now all the registers are open en can fly in P3D with all the heavy stuff online on Vatsim in 4K VR and can see the complete cockpit in HighRes, manage the FMC in the 737NGX while flying and yes the environment and ground textures are HD. For me the most important factor is.... NO SDE. In the Odyssey + that was much better than the old one but  that's what I have read and is not my own experience.

The sacrifices you have to make in P3D when you have all the hardware ok is,  No Shadows at all, Minimum reflection No HDR lights and oh yes, very important to get good FrameTime (to avoid stutters) is using Process Lasso and putting P3D on 2 exclusive cores. In my case I have 6 physical cores and core 2 and 3 are reserved for P3d.exe ONLY. That is doing the job fine now in HiRes VR.

Happy landings..

Edited by simba_nl
  • Like 1

Thanks. Sounds promising. I am running an 8086K at 5.3ghz with a 1080ti. Only area I'd be concerned about is my 16gb of DRAM. Could you do me a favour and check your Memory usage in Task Manager in what you would consider your most demanding scenario in the NGX or T7. For example departing FSDT KLAX over OBRX SoCal in overcast conditions. I've never been a 4K user so on  my system its about 8gb in that scenario.

I only fly in Europe but 16Gb is enough for P3d at the moment. Ram is very cheap nowadays so a upgrade to 32Gb is not to expensive and be blessed with your 1080ti. You gonna need the 11Gb Vram much more than the conventional RAM.

• Like 1

OK, That's settled then. The HP Reverb will be next VR Headset unless something else materializes between now and black friday.

And thanks for the feedback

Edited by Avidean
  • Like 1

I prefer OLED colors and the FOV of the Odyssey Plus

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

9 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

I prefer OLED colors and the FOV of the Odyssey Plus

Apparently the FOV of the Reverb is 114 compared to the 110 of the Odyssey+

That sounds small but from what I've read 114 is noticeable better 110.

The reverb does cost quite a bit more though so I haven't 100% made up my mind yet.

I was very happy with the Odyssey+ when I had it and of course the lower resolution

means less demand on the hardware. I am waiting for black Friday. Perhaps by then Samsung

might have released an Odyssey++

3 hours ago, Avidean said:

The reverb does cost quite a bit more though so I haven't 100% made up my mind yet.

I was very happy with the Odyssey+ when I had it and of course the lower resolution

means less demand on the hardware. I am waiting for black Friday. Perhaps by then Samsung

Its not about degrees with these two headsets, they use different FOV methods natively

The FOV method in the Reverb is different, its a tunnel/valley like focus sharpness center blur peripheral method  that causes eye swim for some.

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

4 hours ago, Avidean said:

You are lucky to live in the US. Here in Europe we don't have "Black Friday" and never had the Samsung Odyssey in the official stores. By the way, We can only buy the Reverb Pro and not the consumer version and there are actions now I heard that there is a special price for the consumer version in the US for USD 499. Here we still have to pay 649,-

1 hour ago, blueshark747 said:

Its not about degrees with these two headsets, they use different FOV methods natively

The FOV method in the Reverb is different, its a tunnel/valley like focus sharpness center blur peripheral method  that causes eye swim for some.

That was in the Reverb 1.0.  Lot's of people who have the improved version, never complained about it. By the way, the OLED in the Samsung 1.0 I had was much worst with the black and colour richness then the Reverb so I think it's subjective. And as I have stated many, many times.... The Reverb is only shine in all her glory when reach 90fps/90hz. ( With FlightSims only reachable in Aerofly and Flyinside) There is soooooo much difference in running at 90 or falling back to 45 in sharpness and clarity. The Moire bug as stated in the beginning? never seen it in my headset.

FOV?  Very bad in ALL the headsets including the Reverb. It's still looking thru a Scuba Dive Glass.... but... you are getting used to it.

Edited by simba_nl

2 hours ago, simba_nl said:

There is soooooo much difference in running at 90 or falling back to 45 in sharpness and clarity

Hmmm, That's interesting. Hard to see how it would be even possible to run P3D 4. in VR at over 90fps even on the lowest graphical setting.I found the Odyssey+ 30fps in both eyes fine in P3D V4. If clarity and sharpness in the Reverb takes a hit a lower frame rates, I have to wonder if there is a real benefit of the higher resolution at lower FPS and if its worth the price difference. The waters are muddied again. On the other hand there is no substitute for seeing for yourself. I suppose I could always return it or sell it after a couple of months if it didn't meet my expectations.

9 hours ago, simba_nl said:

That was in the Reverb 1.0.  Lot's of people who have the improved version, never complained about it. By the way, the OLED in the Samsung 1.0 I had was much worst with the black and colour richness then the Reverb so I think it's subjective. And as I have stated many, many times.... The Reverb is only shine in all her glory when reach 90fps/90hz. ( With FlightSims only reachable in Aerofly and Flyinside) There is soooooo much difference in running at 90 or falling back to 45 in sharpness and clarity. The Moire bug as stated in the beginning? never seen it in my headset.

FOV?  Very bad in ALL the headsets including the Reverb. It's still looking thru a Scuba Dive Glass.... but... you are getting used to it.

Its the native method FOV of the Reverb's screen period...

There is nothing scuba glass or goggle like about the Samsung Odyssey Plus OLED...

Your statement is simply inaccurate and false sir 

Ill post some Odyssey Plus screens later in comparison...really nothing to compare actually

The the whole screen area of Odyssey Plus is the same no tunnel like FOV blurring at all

Do you understand now?

V7CkRPA.png

aCA1i9Q.png

pNTL2jz.png

Edited by blueshark747

32GB DDR4 3000 Ram

On 10/19/2019 at 7:04 AM, Avidean said:

I would like to know from anyone who has made the jump from the Odyssey Plus to the HP Reverb what their experience was. Was it OMG I didn't think it could get better than the Odyssey Plus or Boy I am glad I didn't sell the Odyssey plus before I got this thing so I can send the Reverb back for a refund! I sold my Odyssey plus about 4 months ago. Not because I was dissatisfied with it but because I was moving a good 4000km from Toronto to Victoria and I had to get ride of a lot of stuff.

Now I am in the market for a replacement and I'm wondering if I should get another Odyssey plus of get with the HP Reverb. So if you have had both and use P3D V4.5 your feedback is much 😁

I can fully state what Simba_NL wrote and I got the Odyssey Plus. The Reverb, which I now own, is much better in terms of sharpness, colouring, black nights, SDE, fitting!. I would NEVER go back to the Odyssey +

I am on a 8700K OC5.1GhZ on 6 Cores, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080ti. Fluid experience also in some heavy areas like KLAX and EHAM with TENE from ORBX

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

2 hours ago, mpo910 said:

I can fully state what Simba_NL wrote and I got the Odyssey Plus. The Reverb, which I now own, is much better in terms of sharpness, colouring, black nights, SDE, fitting!. I would NEVER go back to the Odyssey +

I am on a 8700K OC5.1GhZ on 6 Cores, 32GB RAM, RTX 2080ti. Fluid experience also in some heavy areas like KLAX and EHAM with TENE from ORBX

Mr BlueShark is a very anti HP Reverb person  it seems and can't read although my English is not native, I think it must be understandable.

Edited by simba_nl

4 hours ago, blueshark747 said:

Its the native method FOV of the Reverb's screen period...

There is nothing scuba glass or goggle like about the Samsung Odyssey Plus OLED...

Your statement is simply inaccurate and false sir 

Ill post some Odyssey Plus screens later in comparison...really nothing to compare actually

The the whole screen area of Odyssey Plus is the same no tunnel like FOV blurring at all

Do you understand now?

V7CkRPA.png

aCA1i9Q.png

pNTL2jz.png

Well Mr. Anti Reverb, I'm saying that looking thru EVERY Headset at this moment is like looking thru a Scuba Dive Glass and if you don't know what that is..... In every headset you see the corners of the headset. So, if you think that i am misleading, fine.... Have a nice day sir and please, please stay away from a HP Reverb. It's not made for you .

Edited by simba_nl