Sign in to follow this  
guenseli

Realistic Storm :)

As we talk about weather: Asobo, this is what we expect in MSFS2020

😉

• Like 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a clip from the Unreal Engine generating realistic storm

Guenter Steiner

I was about to say that there is no way that this is a real storm.

Waaaay too much debris flying around.

What I expect then is an ATC which closes the affected airport and diverts me to another airport 😃 ! 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

36 minutes ago, Farlis said:

Aha ...

Guenter Steiner

I would not fly in weather like that.  No, what I would do would be to crouch in a corner, put my head between my knees and kiss my butt goodbye. :ohmy:

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

1 hour ago, guenseli said:

Aha ...

Cool as that is, footage of Hurricane Irma (a category 5 hurricane that was the fourth-costliest hurricane on record) is atypical of a storm and not what Asobo should be using as a base for weather in flight simming.

Trying to fly in 180 mph winds is fun for a bit, but I don't think that most simmers want a constant stream of trees, trucks or trampolines (there's always footage of a trampoline being blown away) thrown at them after about 5 minutes of mucking about.

Could be interesting for MSFS to include a mission to storm chase in NOAA's Lockheed WP-3D Orion.
However, I'd rather weather modelling of updrafts, downdrafts, foehn winds, rotors, clear air turbulence, windshear, etc. was given the most attention - we'll find out next week.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

3 hours ago, Farlis said:

I was about to say that there is no way that this is a real storm.

It's realistic for a hurricane at ground level, but nobody would be flying in it except the NOAA crew.

What I want for a realistic storm -- as basically a litmus test for realism -- is an accurate 3-dimensional model of a towering cumulonimbus, including vertical convection up and down, the temperature changes, and the ground effects like microbursts:

http://adrienne-bailon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/thunderstorm-meteorology-britannica-com-updrafts-structure-atmosphere-downdrafts-thunderclou-how-did-cumulonimbus-clouds-form-are-formed-do-cumulus-high-can-tornadoes-does.jpg

I suppose there is an argument that a flight sim doesn't need this kind of modeling because you'd be nuts to fly inside the thing, especially as a GA pilot. But commercial aircraft do sometimes experience the outer edge or worse of a big towering CB, and it should be modeled as part of the aviation environment.

If a flight sim has a weather engine sophisticated enough to model a CB, including the internal 3D wind and temperature dynamics, then it can model any other weather effect like large rotating systems (hurricanes, cyclones, tornadoes) and dynamic weather fronts.

• Upvote 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor