Sign in to follow this  
DaveHagen

FSX freezes mid-flight but sounds continue

Hello, I have a issue (which only happens with my PMDG 737, not with the Aerosoft A320) with that my FSX freezes mid-flight and doesn't get out of it, it starts with that the FMC freezes (I can click on buttons but nothing will happen) and eventually everything freezes, but the sounds continues. This only happens when fly PMDG and not when flying Aerosoft

Edited by DaveHagen

Hi Dave,

Sorry to say this is not necessarily a PMDG issue, I've had the same thing happen to me also, quite a few times lately I am not using any PMDG aircraft. I don't yet know what is causing the screen freeze Black full screen (sound continuing) but am looking into it. There is nothing new in my FSX Sim, hardware is operating normally after several checks, temps are normal, I suspect a .net issue with 4.8 which could be causing the problem but as yet cannot tell. I was experimenting with additional monitors where I had issues with (EMB Shader enhancement) it clearly does not like running with 2 monitors. Single monitor EMB behaves properly, so that may be the cause of my own screen freeze.

One thing I have tried which seems to at least get back into the sim (without exiting or rebooting), is to first press keyboard "p" key to Pause the sim, then  Alt+Enter to exit FullScreen into Windowed mode even though the screen is black, then wait a few moments for the Windowed screen to redraw, it should come back as though nothing had happened. Don't be surprised if your desktop needs to redraw as well, you can continue in Windowed Mode or press Alt+Enter to re-enter Full Screen, un-Pause the FSX and continue flying.

Yep, I've done exactly as you describe, Jethro!  With mine it's usually caused by not pausing first, but going to the map, or other such thing and then coming back to a normal looking panel but black sky out the window.  I hit pause and go to windowed mode and let it sit for about a minute.  I then go back to full screen and un-pause and everything is back to normal.

• Like 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

On 10/20/2019 at 5:23 PM, Jethro said:

Hi Dave,

Sorry to say this is not necessarily a PMDG issue, I've had the same thing happen to me also, quite a few times lately I am not using any PMDG aircraft. I don't yet know what is causing the screen freeze Black full screen (sound continuing) but am looking into it. There is nothing new in my FSX Sim, hardware is operating normally after several checks, temps are normal, I suspect a .net issue with 4.8 which could be causing the problem but as yet cannot tell. I was experimenting with additional monitors where I had issues with (EMB Shader enhancement) it clearly does not like running with 2 monitors. Single monitor EMB behaves properly, so that may be the cause of my own screen freeze.

One thing I have tried which seems to at least get back into the sim (without exiting or rebooting), is to first press keyboard "p" key to Pause the sim, then  Alt+Enter to exit FullScreen into Windowed mode even though the screen is black, then wait a few moments for the Windowed screen to redraw, it should come back as though nothing had happened. Don't be surprised if your desktop needs to redraw as well, you can continue in Windowed Mode or press Alt+Enter to re-enter Full Screen, un-Pause the FSX and continue flying.

If it wasn't a PMDG issue then it should've happen to Aerosoft too, but only happens when flying PMDG