Sign in to follow this  
Flybynumbers

Best flight sticks for combat

I like the Logitech Saitek x52 and x52 Pro. 

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01LZ1MQTL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have resistance that you can adjust, and has a proper reverse thrust axis on the throttle where you actually pull it back and it locks into place. It's literally the best part about landing a jet! I checked out other brands being recommended, but it seems that most use a work around where you program a button to reverse the throttle without actually pulling the throttle back? Can anyone confirm what other brands have a proper reverse thrust axis?

Anyway I went back to my tried and true Saitek x52.

P.S if you touch type then they also make the best keyboards...the logitech K520

Edited by Flybynumbers

Any throttle can have a beta/reverse capability on the throttle axis when using FSUIPC.

29 minutes ago, yurei said:

Any throttle can have a beta/reverse capability on the throttle axis when using FSUIPC.

This is more than just assigning a reverse axis..the x52 has a FORWARD/BACKWARD axis and a REVERSE THRUST axis. I just assumed all throttles had this separate reverse thrust axis built in but from researching it sounds like some don't. I want to be able to start at idle...throttle up to max...throttle down to idle as one axis. Then there is another axis if I pull down from where it rests in idle to reverse thrust.

Edited by Flybynumbers

There was no search...the x52 has a built in reverse thrust axis 🙂

I was just surprised this isn't standard on all throttles...as mentioned it's literally THE BEST PART ABOUT LANDING A JET. 🙂

Edited by Flybynumbers

I have a Microsoft Sidewinder forced feedback 2. If I really wanted to fly fighters in an ergonomically correct fashion I'd add to that saitek rudder pedals and a fighter like throttle. The X52 throttle is great but it connect to the X52 Joystick via a PS2 cable I think and the joystick connect to PC via USB. Keeping it simple the X52 with Saitek Rudder pedals is a beauty but nothing has ever surpassed the Microsoft Sidewinder forced feedback 2 as far a joy stick go IMHO!

Thrustmaster

Hotas Warthog -Highly multifunctional.

Awesome stick and throttle

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Win 11 pro 64Bit, X670 AORUS ELITE AX, Ryzen 9 7900x, RTX 4080, 64Gig GSkill 6000 DDR 5, Samaung Evo 4TB SSD.

2 hours ago, christb said:

Thrustmaster

Hotas Warthog -Highly multifunctional.

Awesome stick and throttle

Ya I looked at this one...but does it have a reverse thrust axis built into the throttle like the X52 does? 

The motion should go from axis a --> b ---> a ---> c for reverse thrust. 🙂

Edited by Flybynumbers

Reverse?  Sorry, I'm not aware of any combat aircraft that have reverse thrust.  That's what the question was anyway.

There are detailed Youtube reviews which point out problems with the X52 (wiring harness movement causes issues) and other HOTAS setups, but you'll have to search for each one by name. 

For my money, it's very difficult to go wrong with the Warthog HOTAS.  I have one setting here along with my Honeycomb Yoke for commercial flying.

I hope this has been helpful!

Best wishes!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

31 minutes ago, DaveCT2003 said:

Reverse?  Sorry, I'm not aware of any combat aircraft that have reverse thrust.  That's what the question was anyway.

There are detailed Youtube reviews which point out problems with the X52 (wiring harness movement causes issues) and other HOTAS setups, but you'll have to search for each one by name. 

For my money, it's very difficult to go wrong with the Warthog HOTAS.  I have one setting here along with my Honeycomb Yoke for commercial flying.

I hope this has been helpful!

Best wishes!

The Warthog looks good for combat. Which one the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS or the Thrustmaster 2960720 Hotas Warthog Joystick?

Edited by Flybynumbers
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

The Warthog looks good for combat. Which one the Thrustmaster T16000M FCS HOTAS or the Thrustmaster 2960720 Hotas Warthog Joystick?

I have the Thrustmaster 2960720 HOTAS.

Edited by DaveCT2003
  • Upvote 2

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I'm using the Warthog throttle and FSUIPC to do beta/reverse on turboprops. But as @DaveCT2003 pointed out, no combat jet aircraft  with a control stick (that I am aware of) has reverse/beta. 

Edited by yurei
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The warthog also has lifts into an off position which triggers a 'button' press. its supposed to be for engine off, but for civil stuff I use it to activate reverse via FSUIPC. Its not an axis of course.........

Edited by GHarrall
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1