Sign in to follow this  
TorqueWrench

Looking for a small 2-axis analog joystick

I use a Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick, and a Thrustmaster TWCS throttle for the majority of my simming, but I'm looking for a small analog joystick to use with my laptop when I'm working away from home. The smaller the better, it's mainly for takeoff and landing.

2-Axis or 3-Axis is fine, not concerned about buttons. USB connection preferred.

Any suggestions?

System Spec : Asus Rog Strix Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6GHz, 32Gb PC2133 Memory, NVidia Geforce GTX1060 GPU with 6Gb Dedicated RAM, Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb NVMe SSD, (OS & Flight Sims), 1Tb 7200rpm SATA (all other stuff). 100Mbps cable broadband.

An XBox game controller has two analog joysticks...the XBox Elite has very stable Hall Effect magnetic transducers on both, and comes with extenders for a longer stick throw.  It works well for portable use, especially if you use a wireless version with a USB dongle plugged into the computer.

On my portable rig, I use the left stick as a traditional joystick (aileron and elevator) with a long-throw stick head, and I wrote a program that uses the Y axis on the right stick as a variable throttle controller (fwd throw increases throttle at a rate proportional to the amount of stick movement, and rearward throw reduces throttle the same way.  I use the trigger axes (also analog) combined additively for rudder (left trigger is left rudder, right is right rudder).  You can also program buttons for trim, brakes, reverser and other functions, and the directional pad below the left stick works well for view control.

Regards

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Thanks, but an XBox controller won't cut it. I don't want a self centering thumbstick, I want a proper analog joystick. I've tried an XBox controller, and it's no good for delicate inputs.

System Spec : Asus Rog Strix Gaming Laptop, Intel Core i7-6700HQ CPU @ 2.6GHz, 32Gb PC2133 Memory, NVidia Geforce GTX1060 GPU with 6Gb Dedicated RAM, Samsung 970 EVO 1Tb NVMe SSD, (OS & Flight Sims), 1Tb 7200rpm SATA (all other stuff). 100Mbps cable broadband.

During a brief search I seemed to be turning up industrial or medical joysticks. HOWEVER. If you have an old RC transmitter and are handy with some maker skills then this may be the way forward (or perhaps see if the guy will make on for you?). RC transmitter sticks don't have to be self-centring, just remove the springs:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3785709

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

On 10/21/2019 at 3:00 PM, HighBypass said:

During a brief search I seemed to be turning up industrial or medical joysticks. HOWEVER. If you have an old RC transmitter and are handy with some maker skills then this may be the way forward (or perhaps see if the guy will make on for you?). RC transmitter sticks don't have to be self-centring, just remove the springs:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3785709

I have a JR 9-channel R/C transmitter and a Spektrum SPMWS-1000 USB dongle that translates the transmitter's PCM axis positions into standard Windows HID controller axis inputs.  Biggest problem with that setup is the lack of a straightforward way to trim, as there aren't buttons for that...the R/C transmitter implements trim by moving the value of the axis center, which doesn't work very well with a flight sim.

The XBox Elite with the long extension is as precise as any full-sized joystick...it's using Hall Effect sensors and a fairly precise A-to-D converter.  I use it between my thumb and forefinger like a miniature stick rather than as a thumbstick.  Have not seen any decent options of intermediate size out there.

I've got an old Saitek Cyborg 3D stick that used to be a great portable solution...the joystick head detaches from the base with a large-diameter knurled nut, and it has an integral 2-axis throttle.  Unfortunately the cheap Saitek pots are long since shot.  The Thrustmaster Warthog stick head does detach in a similar manner, which would make it easily transportable, but it stands really high for tabletop use, is quite heavy, and its spring centering is too stiff for laptop use.

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

On 10/25/2019 at 1:04 AM, w6kd said:

.... I use it between my thumb and forefinger like a miniature stick rather than as a thumbstick. ...

Ah, the "pinch method". I use that for flying my RC helicopters (Futaba 9C super).

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)