Sign in to follow this  
mikeymike

Nvme ssd

Hey guys 

so  I just upgraded my pc.

now I am about to purchase a ssd nvme 1tb

my question is does it have a faster response to loading of scenery/ terrain ? In P3d?

and will my other ssd 840 pro x3 get affected by this?  

board is a z390 master gigabyte 

i9 9900k 

32gb ram Corsair 3600 MHz cl16 

1080ti msi lightning z 

Yes, faster by about 6x.

No

Guess you are running Windows 10. If not, and still on 7, read about the NVMe install tool on the Gigabyte website and download the install tool.

Chris.

1 minute ago, ChrisDa said:

Yes, faster by about 6x.

No

Guess you are running Windows 10. If not, and still on 7, read about the NVMe install tool on the Gigabyte website and download the install tool.

Chris.

Thanks for the response 

yes win 10 

6x faster terrain loading wow that’s impressive 

well lol I’m going shopping 

It's very impressive near some heavily textured airport addons, with HDD I'll see the airport cast out form a black chaos bit by bit, but not with SSD

Depending on the make/model some mvme are indeed up to 6 times faster - on paper ! In real live you will probably not notice much difference compared to an ssd.

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

2 hours ago, willy647 said:

Depending on the make/model some mvme are indeed up to 6 times faster - on paper ! In real live you will probably not notice much difference compared to an ssd.

Of course you will notice a difference, I had P3D on a plain WD Blue SSD with Read/Write speeds up to 560MB/s and 530MB/s and moved it to an M.2 SN750 NVMe SSD with Read/Write of up to 3100MB/s and 1600MB/s and have never experienced stutters that others have experienced. For P3D I would highly recommend an M.2 SN750 NVMe.

• Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

Thanks for the replies 

now are are there different sizes of nvme m2 ssd??

im looking at the crucial 2x 1tb

to for one for top slot closest to cpu

and then 1 for middle behind the gpu

but looking at the slot it looks like different sizes?

z390 master aorus board 

thanks 

mike

Yes, the M.2 standard comes in different sizes, so pick the right one

Be aware that some of the crucial 1Tb nvme's have a read speed of only 560 Mb/s - being the same as an SSD !

• Like 1

i7-7700K @ 4.9 GHz, 32GB DDR4, GTX1080, 2 x Samsung 1TB NVMe, 1 x 3TB HDD, Windows 10 Prof

34 minutes ago, willy647 said:

Yes, the M.2 standard comes in different sizes, so pick the right one

Be aware that some of the crucial 1Tb nvme's have a read speed of only 560 Mb/s - being the same as an SSD !

Thanks for the reply.

any recommendations of which nvme ssd to get.

i was also looking at the p660 intel 2tb 

thoughts? 

There are no "bad" drives. Look at your budget and pick the fastest read/write figures.

I do recommend Samsung .M2 key drive. The reason is because these have certified NVE drivers from Windows 10 which actually unleash the real speed of this technology.

Any drive that do not has these drivers, will run at the normal speed of an SSD drive. So save yourself the trouble. 

As an example my Samsung Evo 950 .M2 drive can push up to 230,000 IOS per second under Windows 10. While another I had before by a difference manufacture was only achieving around 50,000 IOS.

My 2 cents.

S.

Agree with Simbol, I have a Samsung Evo 960 M2 for C drive with the same 230k as his. My Windows 10 boots to ready in 11 seconds.

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5

50 minutes ago, simbol said:

I do recommend Samsung .M2 key drive. The reason is because these have certified NVE drivers from Windows 10 which actually unleash the real speed of this technology.

Any drive that do not has these drivers, will run at the normal speed of an SSD drive. So save yourself the trouble. 

As an example my Samsung Evo 950 .M2 drive can push up to 230,000 IOS per second under Windows 10. While another I had before by a difference manufacture was only achieving around 50,000 IOS.

My 2 cents.

S.

Thank you for your response. 

• Like 1

To take proper advantage of the speed, be sure to use the m.2 drive for your OS. To have the OS on a slower drive makes it kind of pointless. 

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

19 minutes ago, Dave_YVR said:

To take proper advantage of the speed, be sure to use the m.2 drive for your OS. To have the OS on a slower drive makes it kind of pointless. 

Hmm, well I was going to use it just for P3d 

and addons which are not very many Hence why I was looking at 2tb 

os is on a 840 pro ssd