Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10

I have been using FSX since 2011 on Windows 7.  After years of updates and Add-ons to my FSX files,  I will eventually will have to switch over to Windows 10 since Microsoft announced they will no longer give support or updates to Windows 7 starting in January 2020.  I eventually plan on just buying a new HP with Windows 10 and the same FSX requirements I have on my HP Z240 for things to run smoothly.  My question is, will transferring FSX from Windows 7 to Windows 10 cause me any grief I should be aware of?

Cfoley.

Cray Foley

Copy FSX both main and config(things under appdata or so) to a backup space, install a new FSX under where it was, install all "heavy" add-ons like PMDG etc which could invove registry, finally copy all your backup back and overwriten.

At least that's what I have done with my FS9, it should work

BTW you can upgrade win7 into win10 without lose user-data, BUT, I tried that only give me BSOD almost every hour, so I refresh installed it, but still it could be done without lose files in C:\

@Cfoley, you should ask yourself if this would be the most appropriate time to switch to P3D v4. Your new PC presumably with a decent graphics card would be wasted running FSX since that version cannot take advantage of modern graphics cards.

A lot of airports and aircraft designed for FSX can still be used in P3D because the underlying engine - ESP - is the same. I would urge you to make the switch. There's never been a better time.

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I would consider migrating to P3Dv4 as well with a new rig with Windows 10.

Don't be like Boeing by sticking new engines on a 1967 era aircraft, just update everything 😎

• Upvote 1

Matthew Kane

I agree upgrading to a 64-bit app (P3DV4) would provide more joy but, if you want to keep FSX (boxed version), FSX will run well on Windows 10.  I would dump any idea of using the boxed version and would recommend you pay $25 or less for FSX-SE.  That will install quickly and the only thing you will have to add are your add-ons.  The last time I reinstalled FSX (earlier this year), I installed my boxed version.  Many error messages along the way as I had reset Windows 10.  Windows 10 did an assessment before resetting my install of Windows 10 and said I would not have to reinstall FSX or any of the add-ons.  Wrong!  Will never do that again!  Completely uninstalling before resetting Windows 10 is the only way to go.  Activation was no problem once I got it installed properly.  I was reinstalling on the same system, with the same SSD, and had no problems with activation.  You will be reinstalling on a new system and you may have run out of activations.

I installed on my G drive (G:\FSX).  Make sure you click on "Options" at the beginning of the install so you have the option to install other than at the default location.  Use the AVSIM FSX Configuration Guide for settings.

• Upvote 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

18 hours ago, C2615 said:

Copy FSX both main and config(things under appdata or so) to a backup space, install a new FSX under where it was, install all "heavy" add-ons like PMDG etc which could invove registry, finally copy all your backup back and overwriten.

At least that's what I have done with my FS9, it should work

BTW you can upgrade win7 into win10 without lose user-data, BUT, I tried that only give me BSOD almost every hour, so I refresh installed it, but still it could be done without lose files in C:\

Yes,  I will have to do that.  The last time  I got a new computer with Windows 7,  I lost my PMDG aircraft in the transfer.  Currently on my computer I have now,  I cannot even get PMDG Operations center to work. 

Cray Foley

4 minutes ago, Cfoley said:

Currently on my computer I have now,  I cannot even get PMDG Operations center to work. 

You must use the current installer on your purchase page on PMDG.  This means you have to download the product again and cannot use an installer you backed up.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

and if you want the old desktop experience in Win 10... then install Start10 for $4.99 stable and great.

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Windows 7 users across the world start to shake uncontrollably at the sight of the nightmare Windows 10 style Start Menu :blink:

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Upvote 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Not!

There are quite a few free addon Start menu replacements out there...

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Mfs20 will force me to switch and I'm dreading it. Discontinuation of updates doesn't concern me so much. I hate the win10 interface and will be doing everything possible to get it like 7.

• Upvote 1

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Sorry, what is Mfs20? 

If you do not like Windows 10 interface, I take it that you actually mean the GUI (Graphic User Interface), there are many free Start Menu interfaces to replace the Start Menu. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

What I would need are a Windows 7 style Start Menu and desktop setup, the option to disable UAC (or whatever international cyber security is called in Windows 10), and the ability to STOP it from automatically downloading driver updates.

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's interesting in all this discussion the OP hasn't responded to the advice given to switch to P3D from FSX. The OS is of secondary importance because once support for 7 is withdrawn in Jan switching is more or less mandatory.

I wasn't looking forward to 10 but apart from the main interface which can be adapted the underlying OS doesn't take long to get used to. And for anyone switching to UHD 10 is more or less mandatory.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot
  • Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

14 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

What I would need are a Windows 7 style Start Menu and desktop setup, the option to disable UAC (or whatever international cyber security is called in Windows 10), and the ability to STOP it from automatically downloading driver updates.

Get the Pro version, updates can be delayed for up to 30 days. UAC can be disabled. Just remember to run everything as an administrator.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather