Sign in to follow this  
Cfoley

Moving from Windows 7 to Windows 10

Get the Pro version, updates can be delayed for up to 30 days. UAC can be disabled. Just remember to run everything as an administrator.

There is a better way.

I'm "dyed in the wool" Win 7 user, but my Son loaned me a machine for the next couple of months,  that will be used on medical equipment, and it is running Windows 10 LTSC Enterprise, 2019 edition.

It is very "bare bones", no browser and stuff and updates once every 12 months, and only if you check for updates. Very easy to configure, bit like 7 in lots of ways.

I stuck in a 500gb ssd and a 1080Ti, loaded P3D4.5 HF2 and it goes way better than my Win 7 Pro machine.  Only a bit of Orbx scenery, bit of traffic and stuff. Both, my main machine and this new one are running a i7 8700k processors with 32gb ram.

So, I'm impressed but I have to give it back.

I would like to get a licence but I'm told that is a bit difficult.

Chris.

Edited by ChrisDa

2 minutes ago, ChrisDa said:

There is a better way.

... my Son loaned me a machine for the next couple of months,  that will be used on medical equipment, and it is running Windows 10 LTSC Enterprise, 2019 edition....I would like to get a licence but I'm told that is a bit difficult.

Chris.

The only licences available to the general public when buying a new PC are Home and Pro.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The only licences available to the general public when buying a new PC are Home and Pro.

Yes, I know  😥

But it is a very nice OS.

I'll know more about it as time goes by.

Chris

Edited by ChrisDa
Correction

8 hours ago, Wobbie said:

Sorry, what is Mfs20? 

If you do not like Windows 10 interface, I take it that you actually mean the GUI (Graphic User Interface), there are many free Start Menu interfaces to replace the Start Menu. 

Way to go to split hairs, I meant MSFS2020 ;-) No I don't just mean the start menu, I hate the desktop too. I hate the whole 10 thing tbh, perfectly happy how 7 is laid out and works I say that as someone who went from XP to 7 when the latter was still a beta, so I'm hardly resistant to change.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

16 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

Way to go to split hairs, I meant MSFS2020 ;-) No I don't just mean the start menu, I hate the desktop too. I hate the whole 10 thing tbh, perfectly happy how 7 is laid out and works I say that as someone who went from XP to 7 when the latter was still a beta, so on hardly resistant to change.

What's different between the Windows 7 and 10 desktop?

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

12 minutes ago, Sethos said:

What's different between the Windows 7 and 10 desktop?

Go here and just look at the pictures to see the differences:

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

BTW, this product will turn WIN10's UI to a WIN7 desktop/start menu...

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Just now, n4gix said:

Go here and just look at the pictures to see the differences:

https://www.stardock.com/products/start10/

BTW, this product will turn WIN10's UI to a WIN7 desktop/start menu...

But that's the start menu, he said the desktop specifically as a secondary point to why he 'hated' Windows 10. Was just curious about what was different in the desktop environment.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

7 minutes ago, Sethos said:

But that's the start menu, he said the desktop specifically as a secondary point to why he 'hated' Windows 10. Was just curious about what was different in the desktop environment.

This is a Win7 "look alike" I very much prefer this minimalist scheme to the rather confusing WIN10 Start menu, and the cluttered desktop with those UGLY huge icons...

EwsEd.jpg

Fr. Bill    

Me too. I'd also like to know.

That Stardock Start10 is just a payware version of a replacement Start Menu, of which there are many freeware versions. It certainly does not replace the desktop, which is normally a picture with many icons, identical to that of Windows 7 & 8.1

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

That is just a generic desktop with Start10 plus Fences, from Stardock, that can, obviously be added to Windows 10.it is NOT a default Windows 7 desktop, but a nice representation. 

By the way, there are also freeware versions of Fences for Windows 10.

Edited by Wobbie

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

2 minutes ago, Wobbie said:

Me too. I'd also like to know.

That Stardock Start10 is just a payware version of a replacement Start Menu, of which there are many freeware versions. It certainly does not replace the desktop, which is normally a picture with many icons, identical to that of Windows 7 & 8.1

Displaying the icons on the Desktop is optional in WIN7, 8.1, and 10 Wobbie. And no, Stardock Start10 is more than a Start roll-back. Note that in the image above the small icons are "fenced" into separate functional groups.

Fr. Bill    

Sorry, I did mean Fences. 

With my Windows 10, I have an app running that automatically hides my desktop icons after a few seconds. 

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...

AVSIM has a great Windows Forum where members discussed their likes and dislikes for Windows 10 vs Windows 7.  Every time there is a new OS released, there are many complaints about moving to the latest.  I thought moving from Windows XP to Windows Vista/Windows 7 generated the most discussions relating to the new OS.  The most difficulty is updating the drivers for the new OS.  Windows 10 will automatically update drivers but not all.  Then some have issues when running an app like Quicken, P3D, FSX, etc. and they blame the app developers or tell everyone they do not like Windows 10.  Best to run a freeware drivers update (Google) program to see what is out of date.  You can use have the drivers update program update the drivers (I use Driver Booster) or, after seeing what new drivers are needed, you can Google the driver and Google will take you to the latest version.  Bing too.  They also have more security as there were many who complained Windows was not secure and rightly believed Windows needed to have a secure anti-virus/malware program without having to go to another developer and getting another anti-virus program like Norton.  If one is going to update or create a new OS, it must be complete, including security.

I remember when Windows was updated from XP to Vista (and soon after Windows 7), ATI refused to update their video card drivers as they did not like the new OS and were going to show Microsoft how much they hated upgrading their drivers for the new OS.  Meanwhile, Nvidia issued new drivers immediately and that was good as FSX was developed with the latest OS (Vista) and Nvidia's new display drivers.  They would have liked to have tested FSX with ATI cards but ATI refused to update.  Eventually (I think about a year later), ATI relented and updated their drivers and lost millions of customers.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I am not much of a computer techie and some of the computer language is confusing. I think I will stay with FSX boxed version for now because I am not familiar with P3Dv4  and when I do have FSX issues, I usually can get them fixed because I am familiar with it.  But P3Dv4 I am not familiar with at all.  I probably should have gotten Windows 10 when I purchased my HP Z240 in December 2016, could have saved me a lot of problems. But I hate change when I finally adapt to something that works.  But it never occurred to me at the time Microsoft would discontinue support and updates for Windows. 7.   I had major issues just over a month ago when FSdreamteam did a GSX update, my QW757 would not upload.   I found out that it was so old when I purchased it in 2011,  it was not compatible with the current GSX update.   As I recall,  I was told to delete and reinstall my QW 757   I could not get the old purchase order number, and ended up out of utter frustration after a week of trying,  of purchasing it again.  The same thing happened to two of my add on airports,  could not find the old purchase order from the website, which I recall I purchased from SimMarket, but no record in my purchase log, so I repurchased one of the airports.

Edited by Cfoley

Cray Foley

Some observations from a long time Windows and flight sim user. Granted, I only use default FSX and some repaints, so my experience is a bit different. I have run every version of Windows from 98 to 10. No issues. I adopted each one as soon as I could. They look different. Big deal. Right click functions remain the same. SSD is the only way to go. No more mysterious 100% disc usage.

I might be mis-remembering this next part, but I think I remember upgrading from 7 to 10 in place. That upgraded my 7 license to W10. Then I reinstalled 10 from a USB stick loaded with 10 from Microsoft. It activated OK as far as I remember. Even if you have to call to activate, it’s not a big deal.

AV. I just haven’t had problems with Defender.

Drivers. Well sure, you sometimes have to look for drivers. That’s nothing new.

Updates. Multi core cpu and SSD load updates quickly in the background.

W10 10 can be adjusted for game play, but I haven’t messed with it much to know how well it works. Screen record is built in.

The account you set up in Windows 10 is an admin account. But there is a higher level admin account. I usually install older software as admin. Sometimes it helps. 

• Like 1

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.