Sign in to follow this  
pilotforhire

A Boeing Driver Considering Airbus

Hello Everyone.

As the title says, I've flown nothing but Boeings my entire flight sim career and I'm looking to switch things up a bit and learn something new. Heavily considering picking up the FSL Airbus but I'm just looking for some input or maybe other personal experiences on how transitioning to a completely different aircraft is. How steep is the learning curve with Airbuses systems? Thanks for the input

It's not steep, just a different methodology and thought process. Be warned in that you might actually assimilate and enjoy it!

The 320X is probably the single best addon you can buy, so jump in and enjoy it.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

It shouldn't be too hard to switch.  The FSL A320 is one of the most immersive add-ons available and shouldn't be overlooked. The pre-flight data entry in the MCDU feels like it goes all over the place compared to the nice flow in a Boeing.  It just takes a few times before it becomes familiar though and there are actually less steps.   The up/down arrows on the MCDU were confusing to me too, and I still occasionally go the wrong way when stepping through a flight plan.  The other thing that really helped me was remembering that you pull to take control, and push to give control when using the FCU (MCP).  Other than that it wasn't too difficult, I do feel like I'm cheating on Boeing a little by enjoying it so much though. :ph34r: 

Brian W

KPAE

Considering moving to the Dark Side, ya? 

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

I'm a big fan of the Boeing (speaking PMDG) birds.

But especially the FSLabs Bus is a good notch above PMDGs Boeings. It is not the Airbus technic itself, but the complete addon is really immersive with it's handling, sound, systems etc.

There are just two other addons which could be compared a little bit: Majestic Dash and the MaddogX.

So, go for the FSLabs Bus or you have missed the best addon!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 4

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Pilotforhire,

you did not give your system specs. My experience with the FSL A320 has not been very pleasant. It is very demanding on the CPU, and my older PC just can't handle that bird (and that bird only). I personally prefer the Aerosoft A320 for this reason. However, chances are that you have a better PC than I do, and then the FSL model may suit you well.

Peter

• Upvote 1

You will not regret trying the FSL birds.  They are as other have said immersive and a joy to fly.  My lower end system handles it okay and since purchasing it is my go to aircraft!

Darcy

Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated. I think I will take the dive off the into the dark side, although it looks as if I will need to wait until payday...just saw the price tag 😲

12 minutes ago, pilotforhire said:

...just saw the price tag 😲

Just the cost of a couple of meals at a half-decent restaurant 😁

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

I resisted doing this for years, then jumped in... and I'm so glad I did.  I remain in awe of how well FSLabs simulated this aircraft.  It performs with an accuracy and fluidity I have not seen in other study-level products.  I don't believe you'll be disappointed.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

If you can fly a Boeing you’ll be able to figure out an Airbus and eventually you’ll be able to setup either for a flight without even thinking about it.

The FSLabs Airbus is my favourite add on aircraft of all time, no finer add on to cut your Airbus teeth on.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Not a fan on the aircraft at all. Systems and the layout or the look. Horses for courses but you'll be paying top dollar to see if you like it.

Edited by VBHB

Running i5-9600K @ 4.8ghz - 32GB DDR4 3200mhz - GTX 3070.

Is the FMC on the Airbus similar to the one on the Boeing 717?  That one took a couple of flights to learn for myself just being experienced on the PMDG Boeing's. This thread has my attention. Ive stayed away from the Bus for two reasons. One is the learning curve. So different from the Boeing's but exploring new sim frontiers is one reason I love the hobby. The other is wondering if so much automation renders the aircraft boring. This is why I don't use my PMDG T7 much. Just not enough to do.

Vic green

I fly both and switch back and forth on a regular basis (PMDG 737ng, FSL A319/A320X and AS A318/A320) - it keeps things fresh - when you start getting bored on one - fly the other - I pick routes using ProjectFly and its nice to fly the plane and airline for that route.

I recommend it highly, and that's after a year or so on the 737NGX.  it takes awhile to really understand the logic and the laws and how the systems interact.  There are several you-tubers (RW 320 captains) with excellent A320 video series.  V1Simulations and Blackbox711 are two of the best. 

Jeff Callender