Hello,

I'm new here and have no experience with flying other than RC models.

For start, I plan to buy Logitech / Saitek yoke and rudder pedals. I would try to make the trim wheel myself 🙂

I was wondering if this combination would be good and whether it would work as I imagined?

BU0836A 12-Bit Joystick Controller - from http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=204

2 x Rotary encoder CTS 288 - one for wheel, one for stick - from http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_75&products_id=191

4 x Generic Toggle switch - from http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_123&products_id=293

I would like to use this yellow stick for flaps, does it make sense that the movement of stick is so long or is better to make a smaller hole for smaller movement?

S6a1gwS.jpg

z0Uaj4M.jpg

jqmXbuM.jpg

3djVo7K.jpg

u2B1oO0.jpg

XB2NSHK.jpg]

Edited by BuBizgb
  • Like 1

I would just by the saitek trim wheel too! I am sure you know that those photos just show a customized saitek Trim wheel. I used to have on but now I just use buttons on the joystick for Trim up/down

8 hours ago, Avidean said:

I would just by the saitek trim wheel too! I am sure you know that those photos just show a customized saitek Trim wheel. I used to have on but now I just use buttons on the joystick for Trim up/down

There are no new one for purchase and price on ebay is from 150-320$. I can build that for 70$ with more functions ... DIY is also fun and hobby. It's not always fun to just go to the store and buy things! (:

• Like 1

The model is the easy part. You will need to find the correct ratio between trim wheel and pot/encoder so that you can turn the large wheel several times --as in real aircrafts.

And, as always, the pudding is in the details......

tony

2 hours ago, flyforever said:

The model is the easy part. You will need to find the correct ratio between trim wheel and pot/encoder so that you can turn the large wheel several times --as in real aircrafts.

And, as always, the pudding is in the details......

tony

Thanks for the info ... as I said, I'm a beginner and I don't know many more details, hopefully in time I will be able to grasp the basics.

I’m not sure I’ll pay attention to all the details now… for now, what’s important to me is that it works 🙂Later I hope there will be time and will for details.

2 hours ago, Avidean said:

Where do you get the body and the clamp. I suppose you have to gut a saitek Throttle quadrant?

I drew them, the plan is to 3D print them, wheel and stick too. I plan to share files when I will be sure that the thing is working 🙂

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, BuBizgb said:

I drew them, the plan is to 3D print them, wheel and stick too. I plan to share files when I will be sure that the thing is working 🙂

That's awesome! Are you concerned about any copyright?

2 minutes ago, Avidean said:

That's awesome! Are you concerned about any copyright?

Should I be concerned? 🙂  They copyrighted shape or what? It is not same, it is similar! 🙂 "Everything is remix" 🙂 

I don't have plan to sell it! I'm from the Balkans and we have a different mindset here, but of course I don't want to violate anyone's intellectual property.

I chose this design because it will fit with the rest of the Saitek equipment, I honestly don't like it special. I wanted something simple and functional.

I've seen people do similar things in various fields ... reverse engineering and similar ... if you really think there might be a problem maybe I better change the design?

• Like 1

Regarding the yellow flap lever. Depending upon what type of aircraft you plan on flying, you may want to engineer some detents into the travel. As you know, not too many aircraft have one flap setting. 

Assuming you do want to have detents then IMHO having the long travel on the lever is a good thing.

Welocome to AVSIM BTW! :cool:

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I believe it would be very difficult to provide a copyright violation.  If there is a violation, AVSIM will be notified to remove it - http://www.dmlp.org/legal-guide/copyright-infringement and we have been notified in the past, mostly for removal of FCOM's (directly from United, American, etc.).

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

5 minutes ago, BuBizgb said:

Should I be concerned? 🙂

I have no Idea!😁 It struck me that logitech might take exception. But I'm not going to tell them.😎

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HighBypass said:

Regarding the yellow flap lever. Depending upon what type of aircraft you plan on flying, you may want to engineer some detents into the travel. As you know, not too many aircraft have one flap setting. 

Assuming you do want to have detents then IMHO having the long travel on the lever is a good thing.

Welocome to AVSIM BTW! :cool:

As I said I come from the RC world, for flaps we usually use some slider on the radio or switch for flight modes usually on competitive gliders. 

How many percentages the stick moves, that much flaps go down and that guided me with this design and I thought it would work similarly in the simulator?

I’m not sure and I haven’t studied too much about how the flaps command works on real planes.

Initially, it wasn't even a plan to put the flaps in the unit, but when I was already working I decided to add another slider.

Don't have detents, I saw some solutions with detents, something could be done but I think it would complicate the design a lot and would

take a lot of time tu build something functional.

I'm noob with limited time and finances, I want to get into the hobby as soon as possible. 🙂  (I am waiting for Flight Simulator 2020 and I will start asap with X Plane 11)

If I get hooked enough, there will be time and will for more complicated solutions.

Thanks for your time and your hospitality 🙂 

• Like 1

Hello,

I still haven't got the parts from Leo Bodnar. I still haven't started 3D printing because I'm not 100 percent sure I have good dimensions for the parts that need to arrive.

I will wait for the parts to arrive, to measure them and to fix the tolerances.

I started drawing version 2 🙂 ... all the parts are the same except the main body and cover. I can't wait for the parts to come and to start printing. 🙂 

elIz3DH.jpg

tJefm0g.jpg

RkitRff.jpg

c3qbqsK.jpg

o0xEtce.jpg

k4UnxcU.jpg

XoSyheE.jpg

itYHJaX.jpg

QCSoEnC.jpg

Nice!!!  -- I did a GNS 530 and a 737 Landing Gear Handle via 3D Print.  For them both I used Arduino units.  But when I did my Throttle Mod I used a Leo Board and was very very happy with that.

Suggestion -- Use a POT or a Hall Effect sensor for the Flaps.....It is much much easier in Spad.Next or FSUIPC to map the "detents" for the different Flap positions. Some Planes (like the Sierra I fly) have Flap Switches (similar to what is on the Saitek MultiPanel) where you hold it in a "sprung" down position to move them down and when you release it will "pop" up.  Plenty of planes have Flap switches or Levers that have positions that you move it to for setting the desired Flaps setting

Finally considering all of the work the you are putting into this 🙂 I would suggest that you add a "Gear" handle / Switch to the unit....Gear is usually on the Left and Flaps on the right in most GA and small jets....Airliners have the Gear towards the middle on the MIP while the Flaps are part of the Throttle Quad.

Considering your going to do this Level of modelling and build I would say don't bother with the Saitek Throttles......You easily can design your own which would also give you more flexibility.  I modded the Saitek throttles because they use 8 Bit analog DA.  So you only have 0-255 for your steps of resolution.  By using the Leo Bodnar board (the one you mention) I was able to join 2 Throttles and get all the AXIS 0-4096 steps....much better control of the throttle settings....Plus I was able to add extra buttons and I did use some Encoders for Rudder and Elevator Trims.

You might as well go all the way and just size this up a bit and Add the rest of the Axis controls and some more buttons until you max out the inputs on the Leo Controller 🙂

Well Done!!

• Like 1

Les O'Reilly

Parts have arrived. I think I burned one encoder so I'll probably use a potentiometer for the flaps. 🙂

I have started 3D printing, it needs a couple more changes in CAD and I am continuing to build the housing asap.

GndMneg.jpg

TTOgunf.jpg

whTmorT.jpg

Ask5nKE.jpg

Edited by BuBizgb
another link
  • Like 2