Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

No support for TrackIR !?

1 hour ago, some1 said:

People tend to miss the fact that FSX or FS2004 did not support Trackir like other games, which use proprietary Naturalpoint libraries. Microsoft merely exposed SDK which allowed cabin view to be moved, and the rest was done by Naturalpoint in their software. The same SDK functions that EZDOK is using in FSX by the way. 

Actually, you're right.

3 hours ago, some1 said:

People tend to miss the fact that FSX or FS2004 did not support Trackir like other games, which use proprietary Naturalpoint libraries. Microsoft merely exposed SDK which allowed cabin view to be moved, and the rest was done by Naturalpoint in their software. The same SDK functions that EZDOK is using in FSX by the way.

That's a great point. I keep reading that Microsoft should do this or that to support some addon and it puzzles me. Give the community a great SDK with good documentation and from that point on it's up to the devs of the particular addon to make it work.

I don't want MS diving in to make something work for Dev XYZ. I want them to focus on the big things (graphics, scenery, physics, interface, etc.) and give us a great platform to build on and keep it fresh going forward.

Gerald

EAA #: 1317747

i7 8700K 6-Core 3.7GHz (4.5GHz); ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-I Gaming ; RTX 2070 Super Turbo 8GB; 32GB G.Skill TridentZ 3000MHz; 250GB Samsung 960 Evo PCIe NVMe M.2; 2x 500GB Samsung 850 Evo Series SSD; 1TB WD Black HDD; Win10 Pro 64; P3D 4.5

10 minutes ago, gsand said:

That's a great point. I keep reading that Microsoft should do this or that to support some addon and it puzzles me. Give the community a great SDK with good documentation and from that point on it's up to the devs of the particular addon to make it work.

I disagree; it's better to have native support in any simulation. First, because it ensures that there are no conflicts between the default camera views and TrackIR when it's active. They can be smoothly integrated without 3rd party hacks to get around any conflicts.

And second, it allows the sim developers to incorporate useful switching functions, like the way you can look left or right in TrackIR to open side cockpit MFD panels in Elite: Dangerous. Or briefly switch in and out of the gunsight view in Rise of Flight without having to disable TrackIR and go back to default camera views. Integration with an important peripheral controller like TrackIR is always better than 3rd party hacks of the default view system.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

3 hours ago, gsand said:

I don't want MS diving in to make something work for Dev XYZ. I want them to focus on the big things (graphics, scenery, physics, interface, etc.) and give us a great platform to build on and keep it fresh going forward.

According to Jorg Neumann, the sim itself is finished, functionnalities are being added 😉

Lots of discussion, however, the bottom line is if we don't have Trackir capabilities I'll probably stay with P3D.

As some have already stated, MSFS is backwards compatible with FSX and thus TrackIR will be supported.  I doubt those in the video posted by the OP were knowledgeable of TrackIR and were not official Sources to make such statements.  Since the video is all in French, it is hard to hear where TrackIR was discussed but I will continue to look.  It would be nice if the OP or someone else fluent in French indicated the time where this was discussed in the video.  So the OP can get his TrackIR out of the closet and prepare to use it on the day of release of MSFS.  He may have to wait for a TrackIR software update first but doubt it as it should work flawlessly with MSFS.

I do not think it is the responsibility of Microsoft/Asorbo to make a simulator compatible with a particular product like TrackIR.  There's an MSFS SDK (well, there will be one sometime after the release of MSFS) and any developer can see it and develop a product to work with the SDK.  That's what the developer of TrackIR did for FSX.  When the ACES Team was released by Microsoft (meaning no further development of FSX), someone developed TrackIR to work with it.  Same goes with other commercial products developed for FSX.  Microsoft did not develop the product or make it compatible with FSX, the developer made it compatible with the software that comes with TrackIR.  I remember it was not fully compatible with FSX at the beginning and the developer had to continually update the software to make it work. That's the way I understand it.

Any further discussions of VR in this topic will cause this topic to be locked.  This topic has nothing whatsoever to do with VR other than the OP indicated TrackIR is cheaper.  I will continue to scan this topic and remove any discussions about VR even if just VR is stated somewhere in the post and the post has otherwise good information about TrackIR.

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future MS will confirm that Track IR will work with MSFS, I just think why wouldn't it, at the very least shorty after the release of the simulator.

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D, GIGABYTE X570 Aorus Ultra, 32GB DDR4 3600 MHz RAM, 2* 1 TB SSD,1*4 TB M.2, 2*1 TB M.2, (4TB) HDD,RADEON RX 6800XT NITRO+ OC SE 16GB GDDR6, NZXT Kraken X73, NZXT 710 Case, X55 JOYSTICK/THROTTLES, LG 4K monitor, Dell 1080 monitor. Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Bravo Throttle. Thrustmaster TPR Pedals. Tobii Eye tracker.

3 hours ago, Jim Young said:

It would be nice if the OP or someone else fluent in French indicated the time where this was discussed in the video. 

It is at 25:04

17 minutes ago, Noooch said:

It is at 25:04

Thanks!

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, eaim said:

I wouldn't be surprised if in the near future MS will confirm that Track IR will work with MSFS, I just think why wouldn't it, at the very least shorty after the release of the simulator.

They have already stated MSFS will be backward compatible with FSX.  TrackIR works with FSX.  It is not up to MSFS to make TrackIR compatible.  It is up to the developer.  If the developer of TrackIR cannot make it compatible or he doesn't want it to work with MSFS, then that's the end of the subject.  I suspect it would only take a TrackIR software update.  TrackIR is used for other simulators/games too.  I count at least six other games on their website that work with TrackIR.

Submit News to AVSIM

I was thrown in the fire by some on a previous topic I started (search via my user name in this forum) about items just like this, the must have peripherals that we use in P3D and wondering how they would work, if at all. People are are drooling all over the visuals and forgetting everything else. How can MSFS make a sim in 2020 with people running on large 4k TV's without TIR support?? So now we all have to have a keyboard on our laps to turn our heads? Forget it, will not purchase.

Eric 

7 minutes ago, B777ER said:

I was thrown in the fire by some on a previous topic I started (search via my user name in this forum) about items just like this, the must have peripherals that we use in P3D and wondering how they would work, if at all. People are are drooling all over the visuals and forgetting everything else. How can MSFS make a sim in 2020 with people running on large 4k TV's without TIR support?? So now we all have to have a keyboard on our laps to turn our heads? Forget it, will not purchase.

How about you hit up TrackIR and and encourage them to make sure their product will work with MSFS. It's not Microsoft's or Asobo's responsibility to ensure compatibility with every single hardware device out there. They're releasing an SDK for a reason.

• Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | Ryzen 9 5900X | MSI MEG X570 ACE | 32 GB DDR4 | Geforce RTX 3080 | Samsung Evo 970 M.2 | Dual 1440p screen | Win 10 Pro

Honeycomb Alpha Flight Yoke | Honeycomb Bravo Throttle | Thrust master TPR Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

It's not Microsoft's or Asobo's responsibility to ensure compatibility with every single hardware device out there.

It's not even that it's their responsibility, it's that they legally may not be authorized to do so without permission from NaturalPoint.

It's easy to chalk these things we think should be natively supported as oversights when reality dictates that there is far more nuance as to the decision. It's been barely a week since the Tech Alpha began. Helpful to realize this sim is far from finished and thus should not be judged on what we've seen or heard up to this point.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

17 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

It's not even that it's their responsibility, it's that they legally may not be authorizatied to do so without permission from NaturalPoint.

It's easy to chalk these things we think should be natively supported as oversights when reality dictates that there is far more nuance as to the decision.

I don't think it's that complicated. It benefits Naturalpoint if games support the hardware they're selling, so they have an interest in making it as easy as possible for native support. It's not unreasonable to expect native support in the new MSFS when other current flight and space sims have native support, like Aerofly FS2, XP11, DCS, IL-2, Elite Dangerous, and Star Citizen. 

The main reason for native support is because it avoids conflicts with the default camera system. That also means fewer tech support issues for both the sim developer and Naturalpoint. The MS/ASOBO support staff never has to answer a question about why TrackIR isn't working -- and you know people will do that, even if the question should go to Naturalpoint -- if it just works with MSFS of the box. Less headaches for everyone. And more sales for MSFS from people who won't fly without head tracking.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

33 minutes ago, ZLA Steve said:

It's not even that it's their responsibility, it's that they legally may not be authorizatied to do so without permission from NaturalPoint.

I cannot believe how convoluted this topic has gone.  MSFS or Microsoft would never ever develop TrackIR.  It is not their product and it never has been their product.  TrackIR is owned by Natural Point and it is their sole responsibility to develop their product for MSFS (if they want to). So you want to contact Natural Point and ask the developer/owner of TrackIR if they plan on updating their product to work with MSFS.

• Upvote 2

Submit News to AVSIM