Sign in to follow this  
Noooch

No support for TrackIR !?

I think you confused my point, Jim. For clarity, the onus is on Natural Point to support compatibility with MFS, not the other way around. 🙂

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

13 hours ago, ZLA Steve said:

I think you confused my point, Jim. For clarity, the onus is on Natural Point to support compatibility with MFS, not the other way around. 🙂

I do not understand your comment.  Natural Point owns this product.  When FSX was first developed and there was no more support for it as the ACES Team was released, Natural Point was still able to make their product compatible so they WILL make it compatible with MSFS but only if they want to.  Personally I think the product is already compatible with MSFS but they might have to make a small modification to their software so their product can find MSFS's installation.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

1 hour ago, Jim Young said:

I do not understand your comment.  Natural Point owns this product.  When FSX was first developed and there was no more support for it as the ACES Team was released, Natural Point was still able to make their product compatible so they WILL make it compatible with MSFS but only if they want to.  Personally I think the product is already compatible with MSFS but they might have to make a small modification to their software so their product can find MSFS's installation.

Trackir already existed when FSX came out, and afaik ACES built support for it into FSX. When the ACES Team was released, the support already existed so there was no problem for Natural Point.

One could argue that its the sole responsibility for NaturalPoint to support Flightsimulator but then the same could be said about VR: Why would Asobo need to built it into the sim when it is the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
AV: Acer Predator x34 3440x1440 monitor | Logitech Z906 speakers
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

I'm wanting Trackir and FS2020 to work together so it makes the smoothest head movement possible.  Presently in p3d it works good, however, you have to recenter more than I would like to.  Also panning sometimes causes slight blurs which I would like to have eliminated.  I'm on my 3rd trackir unit so I'm a old Fart just looking forward to the best New Sim possible

9 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

One could argue that its the sole responsibility for NaturalPoint to support Flightsimulator but then the same could be said about VR: Why would Asobo need to built it into the sim when it is the responsibility of the hardware manufacturers.

Okay.  I've been around for a long time and have a hard time remembering how TrackIR was released.  It was close to 15 years ago, maybe longer.  Just remember seeing the package and got it immediately.  When a member had an issue with TrackIR, members contacted NaturalPoint developer for help (he had his own forums) and he would issue an update to his software if he saw an issue.  There are a lot of updates to his software.  There were no discussions back then that I remember where Microsoft developed FS9 and FSX so TrackIR would work.  In fact, Microsoft developed a program called SimConnect that any developer could use and make their product work with FS9 or FSX.  Perhaps this is what you are talking about?

In any case, that's it on VR in this topic.  No more discussions here.  TrackIR is not even closely related.  Start a topic in the MSFS VR forum for VR compatibility vs TrackIR.  Further discussions here will be removed.

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

From the TrackIR manual:

4.1.1 Introduction to TrackIR Enhanced
TrackIR is designed for use with games that are TrackIR Enhanced. TrackIR Enhanced games enable TrackIR to work alongside traditional peripherals by controlling the in-game view with your actual head movement. The TrackIR is intended for use alongside mice, keyboards and joysticks and does not replace them, though it does replace the traditional function of a joystick’s POV hat switch. A list of games and simulations that are TrackIR Enhanced can be found on the “Titles” tab of the TrackIR version 5.x software

So the actual request for the Asobo team would be: will Flight Simulator be TrackIR Enhanced?
It's a good sign that Microsoft has put it on the Feedback Snapshot so there's hope yet.

Flightsim rig:
PC: AMD 5900x with Dark Rock Pro 4 cooler | MSI X570 MEG Unify | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo | Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 3090 | Corsair RM850x | Fractal Define 7 XL
Controllers: Fulcrum One Yoke | MFG Crosswind v2 pedals | Honeycomb Bravo TQ | Stream Deck XL | TrackIR 5

Oh I thought TrackIR will be there as an obvious basic feature considering the age of the technology.

I have TrackIR 3 Pro + Vector Expansion, got it in 2003 for MSFS precisely, and I use it in X-Plane 11... It's the VR for the poor 🙂 

Please Asobo, follow these easy steps:

1. Go to: https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/developers/
    1. Click on: Request SDK
  2. A Dev at Asobo will go through the SDK
  3. The Dev will then say C'est trop facile ca! and then will implement it without even looking at the screen 😎 (since Asobo developers worked on brilliant and amazing high tech world engine features that seem like 100000 times more complex than the implementation of a 20 years old tech like TrackIR 💪)
  4. NaturalPoints will then add MSFS (Under FSX Steam) here https://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/games/
  5. Everyone who owns this device will be even more addicted to MSFS VFR experience 👁️
    🤩

• Like 1

Scenery for Flight Simulators since 1998

7 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

From the TrackIR manual:

So the actual request for the Asobo team would be: will Flight Simulator be TrackIR Enhanced?
It's a good sign that Microsoft has put it on the Feedback Snapshot so there's hope yet.

Nice try but TrackIR Enhanced will not work without the software that comes with the product.  Microsoft had no programming that made TrackIR work except for SimConnect and Simconnect is needed by many programs to communicate with FSX/P3D.  HiFi, who develops ASN/ASP4, is the only software company that developed their own Simconnect for FSX/P3D so it would work within FSX.  Microsoft had their own weather program and HiFi needed to find something to make their product work. I would suspect NaturalPoint will definitely develop their software too to make sure it works with MSFS.  Perhaps simconnect is what you are talking about when you indicate Microsoft must program their simulator to be compatible with TrackIR?  SimConnect is a needed program, not just for ActiveSky and TrackIR but also for Multi-Player, payware aircraft, and many other utilities.

• Like 1

Submit News to AVSIM

4 hours ago, Jim Young said:

Nice try but TrackIR Enhanced will not work without the software that comes with the product.  Microsoft had no programming that made TrackIR work except for SimConnect..

I wasn't trying anything except explaining that according to NaturalPoint, the game itself does need to do something, obviously in tandem with the TrackIR software, to better support the device. Whether Microsoft achieves that through Simconnect I don't know. Fliight Simulator 2004 also is TrackIR Enhanced and I am pretty sure it doesn't have Simconnect so Microsoft did have special programming for TrackIR in versions prior to FSX, unless off course that whole "enhanced" stuff is just a buzz word.

Flightsim rig:

47 minutes ago, orchestra_nl said:

Fliight Simulator 2004 also is TrackIR Enhanced and I am pretty sure it doesn't have Simconnect so Microsoft did have special programming for TrackIR in versions prior to FSX, unless off course that whole "enhanced" stuff is just a buzz word.

I suspect TrackIR does not even need SimConnect (https://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/simconnect-for-fsx2004.13431/) as there was no SimConnect in FS9.  They just used the NaturalPoint Software - https://flyawaysimulation.com/news/277/ to make TrackIR Enhanced to work. 

Submit News to AVSIM

Ok, can we just close this topic?  It is clear that MS will support TrackIR. It would be colossally dumb not to. If they don’t then any developer can create an app to do so in a few days. It is trivial as long as MS provides an SDK and has mouse view or the like. 

44 minutes ago, MarkSC said:

Ok, can we just close this topic?  It is clear that MS will support TrackIR. It would be colossally dumb not to. If they don’t then any developer can create an app to do so in a few days. It is trivial as long as MS provides an SDK and has mouse view or the like. 

But that is just it.  Microsoft doesn't even need to know if the NaturalPoint developer is selling his product for MSFS as Microsoft has absolutely nothing to do with the add-on.

Submit News to AVSIM

6 hours ago, Noooch said:

Has anyone around here tried to contact Natural Point to ask them?

Good point. I've just sent them an e-mail, including a link to this thread.

Flightsim rig:

15 hours ago, orchestra_nl said:

Good point. I've just sent them an e-mail, including a link to this thread.

Smart, will you be kind enough to post their response here ? Thanks !

Off  course I will. I couldn't find any discussion over there about this new Flight Simulator which I found very weird. In my opinion, they would be mad not to use the new flight simulator to boost their own sales as well, even come out with their own new product, if only a better track clip solution.

• Like 1

Flightsim rig: