Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Feature Discovery Series Episode 2: Weather

1 hour ago, Sethos said:

Really excited about city lights also lighting up the clouds now, that's going to look absolutely spectacular

Yay, light pollution!

This is almost too good to be true!  How could any sim still stand after this releases unless the price is unrealistic, or there's a subscription which folks might not want?  I for one loathe subscription based software.

Im still watching and can't believe my eyes....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Chris DeGroat  

XP11 | MSFS

i9 12900k | 32GB DDR5 RAM | 2TB Samsung EVO SSD (1TB x 2 in RAID 0) | MSI RTX 3090 | Reverb G2 | RealSimGear TBM900 Panel with Yoko+ TQ6+ & TM TPR Pedals

58 minutes ago, n4gix said:

Since they have done icing so well on an airplane, accumulating snow on the ground shouldn't be all that much more difficult... :smile:

Change that procedurelly generated green grass for white snow and you are done. 

35 minutes ago, Mucker said:

Me too and the autogen looks nice but I noticed the tall city buildings looked dark, they should be brightly lit.

Also not sure evn the houses have window lights, just their exteriors lit by street lights.

Work in progress I'm sure but it will be interesting to see how they light custom buildings and landmarks and photogrammetry cities.

They haven't lit them up yet. Last discovery video said they are working on it.

Autogen will be easy. No idea how they do it with photobrammetry but they've managed to use masks for trees. There's gotta be something they can do with buildings.

38 minutes ago, Mucker said:

Me too and the autogen looks nice but I noticed the tall city buildings looked dark, they should be brightly lit.

I'm not sure you'll get lights from photogrammetry objects. What you are seeing is spot lights lighting the external texture surfaces which can be done anywhere. Unless they created a model from scratch then all the photogrammetry buildings will be dark (apart from the impact of external light sources). I think this is where we need to understand the limitations of the tech.

Edited by dtrjones

6 minutes ago, zalox said:

Change that procedurelly generated green grass for white snow and you are done. 

Do you think the procedurally generated aspect could include different amounts of snow on the ground, or is it binary (snow or grass)? 

i7 - 8700k, 4.3Ghz

Nvidia RTX 2070

Win 10

4 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

I'm not sure you'll get lights from photogrammetry objects. What you are seeing is spot lights lighting the external texture surfaces which can be done anywhere. Unless they created a model from scratch then all the photogrammetry buildings will be dark (apart from the impact of external light sources). I think this is where we need to understand the limitations of the tech.

Yes I understand that, let's see if they find a solution.

7 minutes ago, dtrjones said:

What you are seeing is spot lights lighting the external texture surfaces which can be done anywhere.

I’m seeing more than that in this photo.

https://imgur.com/ycfaByX

Look closely at some of those buildings (Columbia Tower for instance). 

That doesn’t look like a spot light lighting textures up (not all of them anyway). If anything it looks like a night texture on the building itself… Or perhaps actual lights that are dim?

Edited by irrics
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, irrics said:

That doesn’t look like a spot light lighting textures up (not all of them anyway). If anything it looks like a night texture on the building itself… Or perhaps actual lights that are dim?

Yeah you could be right, I'd need to see a more close up shot but it does look like some night mask is used as it looks very similar to a lot of buildings. The overall effect though is pretty good and far better than I imagined cities would look like at night.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Purr said:

Do you think the procedurally generated aspect could include different amounts of snow on the ground, or is it binary (snow or grass)? 

I.m not an expert, but if they could control the mixture should be posible some snow gradients.

It is a bit like that plane covered by ice, it start from 0% to 100% ice, but aplying this at ground. Maybe..

Without question this is one of the coolest parts of the scenery being on their servers and upgradable on their end all the time.

The better their techniques get and their source material gets over time - the better our simulator world will get, all without us doing anything much 

In the video -- 7:50 to 8:02  -- very neat stuff.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

2 minutes ago, viz said:

5:17 shows the weather dependent water waves, very impressive.

Exceptionally impressive!

We gotta' tell Asobo that the Viaduct is gone though..  haha

I quite like the icing on the plane; it'll be interesting to see how it will impact not only the performance of the aircraft, but also the sim itself.