Sign in to follow this  
Sethos

Feature Discovery Series Episode 2: Weather

10 hours ago, irrics said:

Without question this is one of the coolest parts of the scenery being on their servers and upgradable on their end all the time.

The better their techniques get and their source material gets over time - the better our simulator world will get, all without us doing anything much 

True, now we will have to look at the landscape and see if it is the same as the last time we flew over it. Some things might have changed, others not, exactly like the real life

6 hours ago, loubar said:

I quite like the icing on the plane; it'll be interesting to see how it will impact not only the performance of the aircraft, but also the sim itself.

What do you mean ? 

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

13 hours ago, SamYeager said:

Apart from the typo that is. 😉

And hope they can make it optional to switch between mbar and inches hg.

1 hour ago, Noooch said:

True, now we will have to look at the landscape and see if it is the same as the last time we flew over it. Some things might have changed, others not, exactly like the real life

Depending on the update frequency of data we might see constructions sights and a few months later the result of it. 

15 hours ago, irrics said:

We gotta' tell Asobo that the Viaduct is gone though..  haha

Nice find! I only realized it after having spent 20 minutes on combing through central France. At least it was working time that I wasted.

Edit: Oh, now I've just realized that you were referring to the Seattle viaduct. :mo_tt_mata: I was thinking of the Millau viaduct (1:39). So my search wasn't in vain after all.

Edited by Shack95
writing nonsense
  • Like 1

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

They never did mention ANYTHING about snow in the latest video

That has me kind of worried. All I see is rain and clouds. What about snow? Might it be something they're leaving for later?

J.C.

"Not all those who wander are lost." - J.R.R. Tolkien
Microsoft Flight Simulator - i7 7700k 5.0 gHz - EVGA 1080ti FTW3 - G.Skill RipJaws 3200 MHz 32GB

1 minute ago, jacf182 said:

That has me kind of worried. All I see is rain and clouds. What about snow? Might it be something they're leaving for later?

In the words of the famous Alfred E. Neuman, "What? Me worry?"

What will come will come in its own good time. There is absolutely no need to worry about things not under your own control!

• Like 1

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

2 hours ago, jacf182 said:

They said seasons might not make it in for launch. Which would probably include winter weather.

Beautiful weather and the night lighting looks awesome!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

16 hours ago, domkle said:

What do you mean ? 

Given how the icing weather effect will impact the aerodynamics of the aircraft and if engine/fuselage stress will be present as part of the sim.

As for the 2nd parte, as to how said effects will effect the performance of the sim; will it work smoothly or will there be some noticeable performance drop (loss of frames, stutter, visual bugs, etc.)

• Like 1

While the weather visuals may look impressive (except some clouds - am I the only one who thinks they look a little blurry?) and real-time online weather will also be available, I don't think that weather add-ons like Active Sky will become obsolete. In larger cities with multiple weather stations it might be easy to get precise data, but when it comes to flying in remote places with sparse data, I bet that AS will still offer superior weather data with more precise interpolation. (And let's not forget wind data, as well as historic weather). I am in favor of MS sharpening up the visuals and improving the weather physics/impact on airplanes, but I would leave the actual weather injection to 3rd party developers.

I remember when FS2004's real-world weather was touted as the holy grail before release, only to find out that wind interpolation sucked, to give you one example. 

Edited by Afterburner

11 hours ago, Afterburner said:

but I would leave the actual weather injection to 3rd party developers.

I see no reason why Asobo wouldn't be able to create a top notch weather injection. We have seen all kinds of revolutionary features so far. The weather engine in what is simulated and calculated realistically is beyond even current 3rd party weather engines. Even AS still uses METARs to translate and inject weather while MS/Asobo can even display clouds at exactly the position they are at in the real world at the same time. I can't see the typical 3rd party developer matching this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

11 hours ago, Afterburner said:

While the weather visuals may look impressive (except some clouds - am I the only one who thinks they look a little blurry?) . 

No you are not the only one. I also pointed this out in the other thread. Although the weather engine looks amazing and the overall effect is very convincing but when you look closely at the clouds, they look blurry. They always seem out of focus and dont seem to have any clear outlines at all. 

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

12 minutes ago, threegreen said:

I see no reason why Asobo wouldn't be able to create a top notch weather injection. We have seen all kinds of revolutionary features so far. The weather engine in what is simulated and calculated realistically is beyond even current 3rd party weather engines. Even AS still uses METARs to translate and inject weather while MS/Asobo can even display clouds at exactly the position they are at in the real world at the same time. I can't see the typical 3rd party developer matching this.

As long as real world weather and the weather and environment engine don't conflict each other at update intervals, because the real world weather engine has far more parameters and variables. No supercomputer on earth could ever simulate earths atmosphere 1 to 1, as even we don't know all of what's going on. So if you'd run them (the sim engine and the real world "engine") side by side and let them do their thing, the more time passes by the more they will diverge. With this in mind... if real world data dictates what the Sim engine should do... the longer the updates intervals the more catching up the Sim has to do, which might result in some unwanted side effects.... maybe not disappearing or popping clouds, but any kind of "intervention" might feel a bit unnatural nonetheless (in whatever way that might be). As opposed to letting the Sim do it's own thing. All that is how I imagine things... hopefully I am wrong. Obviously we will need some universal weather for online flying as everyone needs to be in the same conditions, but I don't really care if it's 100% true to the current real world weather or not.... I just hope they can come up with a way for it to stay 100% to it's own engine, that's how you get rid of sudden weather changes and popping/disappearing clouds.

What I understood is the in-game weather engine recreates the real weather based on real atmospheric conditions. For example it won't display a visibility of 4mi because the metar said so, but because the real atmospheric conditions made the weather engine display a visibility of 4mi.

And this is the main difference between this and the traditonnal 3rd party weather engines like Active Sky.

If you consider this, you can't have unwanted effects of clouds popping even if a new metar is updated but the entire atmosphere will change and clouds will form or dissappear smoothly.

Of course this is what I understood and I may be wrong.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2