Sign in to follow this  
Casualcas

100mb or go gig

With the advent of MSFS soon approaching,  it's funny my provider just snail mailed me and offer to upgrade to 1 gig download speed. To me it sounds excessive, but with MSFS do you really think I would need that from 100mbps I currently have? Hmmmm 

No.

They will obviously want to make the product in best state available to as many consumers as possible. Few have 100 meg so that will be more than enough.

Probably 20 meg or so will be enough to stream the game using Azure architecture though more can't hurt but I doubt anything over 40 meg or so would be utilised.

We will hear more as Alpha progresses but 100% not worth upgrading now if you don't need it for another purpose.

Edited by Mucker
  • Like 1

To be honest, I highly doubt you will need any significant amount of internet speed to stream the world.  The game will do the download initially and load everything into RAM, after that you won't be able to fly fast enough to make your internet sweat.  My guesstimate is anyone with 20 Mb will be more than satisfied with their experience.  Any more and you'll probably just get faster loading menus and end up bottlenecked by your hardware eventually.

• Like 1

The more important consideration may be whether it's data-capped or unlimited data, whatever your speed is. 

• Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

45 minutes ago, Casualcas said:

With the advent of MSFS soon approaching,  it's funny my provider just snail mailed me and offer to upgrade to 1 gig download speed. To me it sounds excessive, but with MSFS do you really think I would need that from 100mbps I currently have? Hmmmm 

The infomation that is currently available is that you need a 25mps connection to stream without hickups.

Edited by Farlis

100mb is sufficient but it also depends whether you have other household members pulling down movies or also playing games at the same time.

Barry Friedman

1 hour ago, fs4fun said:

100mb is sufficient but it also depends whether you have other household members pulling down movies or also playing games at the same time.

That's what the QOS settings on a router are good for. You get 90mbps and they get 10...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, goates said:

That's what the QOS settings on a router are good for. You get 90mbps and they get 10...

LOL, there's going to be a whole bunch of flight simulator users researching QoS to keep family members throughput under control I bet.

• Like 1

Brian W

KPAE

1 hour ago, goates said:

How does that work, your home router can make your ISP shape traffic before sending it downstream?

Barry Friedman

1 minute ago, fs4fun said:

How does that work, your home router can make your ISP shape traffic before sending it downstream?

Not an IT expert here, but I think the idea is that you have your desktop PC flight sim computer on a wired Ethernet link to the router, and everyone else in the house is on Wi-Fi. Which you can then throttle to preserve your flying experience (insert evil grin emoji).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

31 minutes ago, fs4fun said:

Some routers allow you to control the traffic flow coming through them, including limiting the bandwidth each computer or device on your network can use, or limiting the time of day a device can access the Internet.

10 hours ago, goates said:

Lmao, well then I'm glad my stepson would never figure that one out. Lol

I'll be fine, even with 75mb on my wifi and ping time is only 19ms. The deal wasn't much of a deal after I looked it up on their page.