Sign in to follow this  
klaasje123

alternative for rudder pedals

Recently I lost function of my left foot. So using pedals is difficult.  Ofcourse I can use the rudder option on my Thrustmaster throttle. But are there better options? Programmable mouses  or somthing like that.

regards

Hoi,

You could use a throttle with a twist grip. You could pick up a cheap Logitech 3D Pro joystick and use that if you current joystick does not have that functionality.

Edited by Glenn_C

I did use pedals for quite some time but I've switched back to the very precise T16000M twist grip joystick.

Very fine rudder control due to its high resolution and the hall sensors.

2 hours ago, FDEdev said:

I did use pedals for quite some time but I've switched back to the very precise T16000M twist grip joystick.

Very fine rudder control due to its high resolution and the hall sensors.

Unfortunately, the Z (rudder) axis on the T.16000M uses a standard pot and will eventually start to spike.  That joystick's X and Y axes use Hall Effect sensors, but the throttle and rudder (twist) axes are pots. That said, I've had pretty good luck with mine...I own three of the T.16000M sticks, and none of them has started to give me problems, but I know that eventually it'll happen as they age.

For the OP, another option would be a second joystick with the X axis assigned to rudder in the sim.  Or you could fit a stirrup-like loop around your right rudder pedal and use push/pull with your good leg for rudder control.  The Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog has a rotary slider axis on the right side of the throttle quadrant that could also be used for rudder...I know a few people have said they use it as a tiller control.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

56 minutes ago, w6kd said:

The Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog has a rotary slider axis on the right side of the throttle quadrant that could also be used for rudder...I know a few people have said they use it as a tiller control.

That slider on the right side of the Warthog throttle could be a good option, as long as you can adapt to the forward and back travel. It has a mild center detent so you can tell when the slider is centered, unlike most of the sliders meant to be used as throttles.

The Warthog joystick and throttle set is expensive but built like a tank, with very high quality switches. If you get the full set with joystick, I recommend a DIY mod you can find on YouTube that removes the big main spring on the joystick, leaving it a bit "floppy" but with still a bit of centering from the remaining set of smaller springs. The heavy spring is designed more for combat sims. The looser feel with that mod works better for civilian flying and helicopters (IMO).

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Unfortunately, the Z (rudder) axis on the T.16000M uses a standard pot and will eventually start to spike.  That joystick's X and Y axes use Hall Effect sensors, but the throttle and rudder (twist) axes are pots. That said, I've had pretty good luck with mine...I own three of the T.16000M sticks, and none of them has started to give me problems, but I know that eventually it'll happen as they age.

For the OP, another option would be a second joystick with the X axis assigned to rudder in the sim.  Or you could fit a stirrup-like loop around your right rudder pedal and use push/pull with your good leg for rudder control.  The Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog has a rotary slider axis on the right side of the throttle quadrant that could also be used for rudder...I know a few people have said they use it as a tiller control.

Regards

Could not have said it better Bob!  Perfect!

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

1 hour ago, w6kd said:

Unfortunately, the Z (rudder) axis on the T.16000M uses a standard pot and will eventually start to spike. 

Interesting info. Never had any problems with my T16000M, hence my wrong assumption.

I've never used one but the CH Eclipse yoke has thumb paddels on the yoke that substitute for rudder peddles.

Edited by PATCO LCH

Vic green

Wow Bob, you use three stcicks ????

Do you have a home cockpit ?

I love my T.16000 too - best stick ever!  But the trigger ( buton 1 ) is crashing, and since my unit is not the newer HOTAS, I am seriously considering ordering a full set - stick + HOTAS - instead of using an old broken X.52 HOTAS.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I have three logitech attack 3 , one is modded for the helis cyclic and can be used for fixed wingz with an extension and the center spring removed , and the other one is a handheld anti -toruqe  / rudder / collective / throttle / the 3rd one its lying disassembled. 

Ryzen 5 1600x - 16GB DDR4 - RTX 3050 8GB - MSI Gaming Plus

I use a home built console which consists of 6 sliders and 32 mechanical cherry keyboard switches. The three to the right are used for engine controls, the others are assigned to different functions depending on which aircraft I fly. But usually the lower horizontal sliders are used for rudder and tiller.

X6j9sYN.jpg

Edited by Airboeing