Sign in to follow this  
fluffyflops

Lionair Final Report.

From an untrained eye..looks like aoa sensor replaced and not calibrated properly. Crew acted improperly as unfamilar and not trained properly on the MCAS as the error messages coming up and didnt know how to react.  poor buggers.

like I said from an untrained eye.

just popped into our inbox 

resized.jpg

Edited by fluffyflops

14ppkc-6.png

Yes the uncalibrated sensor  was a contributing factor amongst a host of other deficiencies from Boeing to the crew.  The most compelling for me was the F/O training record. The captain handled this aircraft for 10 minutes before handing the aircraft over to F/O who had this aircraft in his control for 61 seconds. 61 Seconds v 10 minutes. His repetitive training record of poor aircraft handling and the lack of enforcement from lion air to remove him from the right seat proved to be dire. A second competent crew member would have seen this aircraft back onto the ground despite the numerous errors made and decided upon during the design/certification stages and I have feeling we are going to see the same thing again once the Ethiopian report comes out.

Edited by Garys

Perhaps, but what's compelling for me is MCAS needing only 61 seconds to actively fly an otherwise airworthy aircraft into the ground. Even an incompetent FO on his worst day would likely not have.

The need for suitable candidates properly trained can never be overstated and must be addressed. But this aircraft was grounded because it was fundamentally, massively flawed by a badly implemented system it didn't even need except to augment it's control feel. This in order to retain it's great grandfather's certification.

• Upvote 1

Regards,

Mark

It did actually need the system due to the larger engines and their placement fwd of the wing changing its C of G.  The implementation was fundamentally flawed as we know.