Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

Ambient heat in computer room

Hey Guys.  Anybody have issues with an overclocked computer making the room VERY warm.  This is really only a problem when pushing the computer.  That means during flight sim flights.  I have a ceiling fan, AC/open window.  But long haul flights in particular make the room very hot.  Granted I understand the chemistry/physics of an overclocked computer.  The heat has to go somewhere.  But I was just wondering if anybody else deals with this issue.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

Why would you have the A/C on and the window open?

Gigabyte P67A-UD3-B3 | Intel i-7700k  4.5 Ghz | RTX 3060 | 32GB OCZ DDR3, 1330 | 35" Curved Samsung monitor. | Windows 10 Home Pro Edition Premium | Samsung 1TB SSD | Samsung 1TB SSD |  UTLive/ P3DV5.3/ SF, AS P3D5.3  MSFS 2020.

I mean if it's hot outside I have the AC on with windows closed.  If AC is not running then I open the window.  

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

This is why aggressive overclocking can be risky your PC can never be cooler than the ambient room temp. unless a chiller is used.

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

all my temps are very good with the specs.  I have a nice cooler.  Not pushing that hard actually.  Have overclocked for years. 

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

Hey Guys.  Anybody have issues with an overclocked computer making the room VERY warm.  This is really only a problem when pushing the computer.  That means during flight sim flights.  I have a ceiling fan, AC/open window.  But long haul flights in particular make the room very hot.  Granted I understand the chemistry/physics of an overclocked computer.  The heat has to go somewhere.  But I was just wondering if anybody else deals with this issue.  

Hi micstatic

I have been dealing with heat issues for years. Since I live in the Midwest, I have the luxury of extreme cold weather for extra cooling my game system. I also have my system by the window during the time when it warm enough to leave the window open. But I have it open in two places, at the bottom and at the top, allowing the heat the escape since heat rises. Air will circulate and it very comfortable so long as it its stays around 75 F otherwise I turn the ac on.

When it too warm during the summer season, I will turn the ac on if I am going to so some serious flying or going on long hauls. All windows are close and keep the room about 75F and have I may run a ceiling fan.

In the spring and fall season I have my bottom window partially close onto a 1-inch foam strip filter to block the outside air. I cut a hole in it and I have flex hoes going thru it. The other end of the hoes in going into the back of the computer allow for colder air inside. I know that there will be a concern for dust but I blow my machine out periodically.

Normally at idle my CPU temp avg around 35 to 37c. In winter and its very cold the CPU temp can go as low as 29 to 30c and under load around 50 to 69c depend on the cooling. But when my system is running warm, it heats the room and my heater does not kick on as much and room is comfortable.

I perform maintenance on my system since it an open loop liquid cool system every 6 mos and full maintenance yearly.

My 2nd machine is a newer built for flight sim supported software, planners, weather on general computer, also network with the game machine.  It just has a Liquid cool close loop system and it sits on the floor however there is no aggressive cooling so it does not get very warm except in the summer.

thanks for the reply.  My temp profiles for the CPU are virtually the same as yours.  The 9700k dumps out a lot more heat than my 2600k ever did.  That's for sure.  

• Like 1

Any computer will add heat to an enclosed space and overclocked computers do generate even more heat.  My hobby room is a spare, upstairs bedroom.  This room is routinely 2 or even 3 degrees F warmer than the rest of the upstairs area.  The winters are not an issue as the thermostat is set at 72F, but summers, when the thermostat is at 76F, can get a little toasty and the cooling fans will spin to a higher RPM.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.