Sign in to follow this  
FlyerNYC

Just build the best PC you can afford! (short rant)

I don't understand all the people asking for system requirements because they want to build a new PC based on them.

What they seem to forget is that the new sim is built on an engine optimized for current PC-hardware. Just buy the most modern hardware you can afford! More means better in our case.

That's all. Thoughts? 

EDIT: Some people seem to have misunderstood. It's not that you should build a pc right now. Never said that at all.

Edited by FlyerNYC
clarification

I don't understand why some can't simply wait when the product will be finalized, available and benchmarked on several hardware platforms ? Price will drop, new products appeared... Etc...

2020 is made of 12 months and we are still in 2019.

Edited by vbazillio
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Vincent B.

Check my MSFS sceneries : https://flightsim.to/profile/vbazillio

Probably not a good idea right now. The simulator is slated for release sometime in 2020, and in one year from now we will have hardware with better performance or value.

For reference, the systems at the Global Preview event were equipped with the GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, which could output 30-40 FPS at a 4K resolution. Hopefully this time next year, hardware with that level of performance will cost $700, and $1000 will give you a GPU that can do 4K60.

Edited by ChaoticBeauty
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, FlyerNYC said:

I the new sim is built on an engine optimized for current PC-hardware.  

History tells us that is a questionable proposition until proven.

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

My philosophy has always been pretty simple. Upgrade pretty much every year or so, and the relatives will be ecstatic with my old castaways, as otherwise they would never in their wildest dreams purchase 500+ dollar graphics cards and etc.

My relatives now uniformly have the fastest, sexiest Candy Crush playing computers in the world......

And I'm ready for whatever comes.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

I buy what I need, not what I can effort or want. 

Xplane, and fsx run fantastic on my fx8350 and 1660ti. And wont buy anything until the sim is on my system and I can evaluate what the bottleneck is, if there is one. Its silly to play the keep up with the Jones, just to have it just in case, when I'm sure I could use the money for many many other things. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vbazillio said:

I don't understand why some can't simply wait when the product will be finalized, available and benchmarked on several hardware platforms ? Price will drop, new products appeared... Etc...

2020 is made of 12 months and we are still in 2019.

This here.

Don't buy your hardware based on what the Alpha/Betas say. As optimization is always happening during development.

Wait until the official system requirements for the release version come out.

Not everyone is a computer expert. Some computer components have more impact than other depending the program you are running. This is what this community is about, sharing your experience. That’s when I built my first PC for FSX, I got that consensus was FSX runs better on Intel than AMD and better on Nvidia than Radeon. I chose to take the advice but I didn’t have to.

Joel Pacheco

X-plane 11.5, i7 4790k OC 4.8GHz (1.330V) - Nvidia GTX 1080ti - Asus Sabertooth Z97 Mark 2 - Corsair Hydro Series H115i - Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 - Samsung 860 EVO SSD 500Gb  - Windows 10 Pro - HP Reverb G2 

Same here. I find it very hard to believe FS2020 won't be able to run at acceptable performance on my 4790k 1070ti and 16 Ram. It's not like I have to go right on all the sliders and I also don't use 4k. I reckon MSFS with mid settings will still be way ahead of P3D at its best. And as many have mentioned by the time FS2020 gets out a €2000 PC will be better than a €2000 today or the former config might be half the price. 

3 hours ago, joelpacheco said:

Not everyone is a computer expert. Some computer components have more impact than other depending the program you are running. This is what this community is about, sharing your experience. That’s when I built my first PC for FSX, I got that consensus was FSX runs better on Intel than AMD and better on Nvidia than Radeon. I chose to take the advice but I didn’t have to.

Well yes. That's how it is at them moment. In an ideal scenario though, Microsoft will push optimization for every piece of modern PC hardware. Take Overwatch as an example. It's one of the best optimized games I know.

My thoughts on this subject is that while there will be new technology available when FS2020 is released, I don´t think it will be Much different from now. What may happen though is better prices, maybe not by much, because older tech doesn´t get that much cheaper a year after launching.

I know AMD is planning Zen3 to 2H, so it will be after FS2020 releases, if the launch is around E3, which I think is very likely. So, even if you wait all this time to make a FS2020 Ready Desktop, it will likely be Zen 2, if you want to fly at release. Cheaper Ryzen and Motherboards? Maybe, but I don´t think by much. Intel doesn´t have much to offer either, their products aren´t gaining much performance compared to AMD at each new generation

Memory, DDR4 2X16GB 3600Mhz, which is the best technology can offer at a good cost right now, and plenty enough for FS2020, is around 200 bucks now. Better memory will only be available when DDR5 becomes standard, so until then, nothing better.

Graphich Card, that´s something that is sure going to change, likely first months of 2020, we will have new generations for Nvidia, maybe AMD. So better performance, same prices, or you can pickup older gen at cheaper prices. So that´s the one item that sure is worth waiting a bit. And the one I suspect FS2020 will benefit the most, alongside SSDs and 32GB DDR4 memory.

The good news is that GPU are the easiest to change, and sell online. So if you want a new Build now, pick a good enough GPU for other Sims and Games, and when we have real benchmark data of FS2020 , you can sell your old one, and decide if Nvidia or AMD< and which model.

That´s my thinking. I plan on building the Core of my Desktop this way by Blackfriday. If you are OK to waiting for everything going next Gen to make a new PC, good luck waiting for a whole year 🙂 If you can, consider it, I don´t have anything now, so that´s not an option for me

Edited by Alec
typo

Alexis Mefano