Sign in to follow this  
freddy_

[Resolved] Traffic X models - help

I used Just Flight's Traffic X in FSX for years.  Even after Traffic 360 was released, I stuck with Traffic X, purely because Traffic 360 did not have a function to allow me to import all the countless hours of work I had done in Traffic X on keeping flight plans, repaints, aircraft and everything all as up to date as possible.  When it came time to move to P3D, I moved all of my Traffic X models, and associated flight plans, over to P3D V4.5.  The Traffic X program wasn't compatible with P3D 4.5 and therefore I am using AIFP now to manage my AI.

Short version … I am using Traffic X models for my AI in P3D v4.5.

I purchased AI Lights Reborn Pro after reading that it worked with Traffic 360 models.  I am pretty confident that Traffic 360 models are merely the original Traffic X models. Traffic 360 was, so I believe, just an updated program interface, a few additional planes, and some new .BGLs.  With this in mind, I expected AI Lights Reborn Pro to work with my Traffic X models.  But, alas, it seems not.

The Traffic X models I am using do conform to the P3D SDK as far as I am aware.  Here is a copy of the [LIGHTS] section from the aircraft.cfg file for the A320:

[LIGHTS]

//Types: 1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
light.0=3, -20.14, -55.65,  4.21, fx_navredm ,
light.1=3, -20.14,  55.65,  4.21, fx_navgrem ,
light.2=3, -70.35,   0.00,   4.493, fx_navwhih ,
light.3=2, -20.14, -55.65,  4.21,  fx_strobeh ,
light.4=2, -20.14,  55.65,  4.21,  fx_strobeh ,
light.5=1,   0.614,   0.00,  10.004, fx_beaconh ,
light.6=1,   0.614,   0.00,  -4.14, fx_beaconh ,
light.7 = 1, 0, 0, 0, fx_TS_LJet ,

AI Lights Reborn Pro is indeed scanning and listing other aircraft I have downloaded and included in my AI (for example, aircraft from "The Fruit Stand").  But it appears to not recognise the Traffic X aircraft.

For the record, the models are in the "Prepar3D v4 Add-ons" folder (outside the main P3D folder) with an appropriate add-on.xml file.

I am wondering if there is any "trick" to getting it to see these old Traffic X aircraft models.  I was sure it would work OK, but I am having no luck.  Any help appreciated.

Edited by freddy_

Regards,

Freddy

I believe Traffic X installs panels inside the AI models folders.

Under P3D in acordance with the SDK that is a characteristic of flyable airplanes only which I skip on purpose.

Remove the panels folders and check if they get detected by Ailrp.

I recommend you changing to AIGM-OCI, it is free and have more modern models than traffic X.

Regards 

Simbol 

7 hours ago, simbol said:

I recommend you changing to AIGM-OCI, it is free and have more modern models than traffic X.

1000% on that. They will revolutionize the look of your sim. The jump in quality in both the models and the liveries will be incredible.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Firstly, you were correct about Traffic X models having a panels folder inside the model folders.  That would be there because Traffic X did allow users to set the AI planes as flyable.  It was crude, for obvious reasons, but it worked.  I removed the panels folders and the scan detected the models.  Woohoo!  Thanks.

As for AIGM-OCI, I have been extremely happy with my Traffic X models over the years.  Sure, they may not be the best out there; but, my view of AI is that it is something which merely needs to "compliment" the sim.  In other words, I've never seen AI as something that has to be "pixel perfect".  That said, I've updated (repainted) the liveries on my Traffic X models over the years, and, without being too modest, I think I've done a pretty darn good job of it.  As an added bonus, the models come with a low frame rate cost.  Now, with AI Lights Reborn Pro, they will receive yet another "update".  So I'm pretty happy with how things are right now, as is.  Nevertheless, I will indeed do some research on AIGM-OCI.  You never know ...

Edited by freddy_
  • Upvote 1

Regards,

Freddy

1 hour ago, freddy_ said:

As an added bonus, the models come with a low frame rate cost.

That was more of a fairly tail than anything from MTX users over the years, the lower quality models aren't any better on frames at all. It really is worth it to try the ones that look good.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

Yes, I agree.  You are right that it can be a misnomer that lower quality models aren't always better on frames at all. The Traffic X models have a low poly count, use mip-mapping, have fewer animated parts, and have low texture resolutions.  These things all combine together to make models that are not necessarily the best out there.  I can't deny that.  But, that said, I have to believe that this combination, in this case, does indeed contribute to good frames rates.

Personally, I am not really interested in models that look fantastic.  I just want the AI to "exist"; to add a bit of required realism.  So I am happy with the Traffic X models.  They may not be the best, but they're doing the job I want and I am happy with that.  And, my frames do remain high. I've also done plenty of repaints on these models over the years, not only to keep the liveries up to date, but also to improve many of the "not-so-well-done" liveries along the way.

Still, all that said, I will certainly have a look at AIGM-OCI.  I've had a quick glance already, and it does look good.

Regards,

Freddy