Sign in to follow this  
Dominique_K

A SDK thread for amateurs ;)

Many of us are not developers but still loving to correct airports and add stuff. We merely scratch at the surface of the SDK potential but have  fun still. No expensive GMax (Sketchup at most),  no Photoshop (or at most the C2 free version,) no C++ programming

I'd love to be able to continue that.

If I had a wish it would be to have a placing tool  like the now defunct Instant Scenery coming for us non Pro. 

Edited by domkle
  • Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Thank you for the thread.

I *just* created this account only to add that I wish, I really wish Microsoft could please support Blender with their SDK.

Blender is a free, yet powerful 3D asset creation software. The interface of latest version, 2.8, is even more intuative than the previous ones.

Youtube is full of clear, easy to follow/understand tutorials to get you going quick too.

And here is a thread by an addon maker in X-Plane working with Blender. 46 pages. The screenshots get more and more spectacular as you move through the pages. The man is working with version 2.79. But all versions of the program are free. 2.8 is the latest.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/149456-boeing-747-200-classic-by-felis/

Here is a video of his 747-200 slat animation test in Blender. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1C9uLsdReQ

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I'm sure that once we learn more about the capabilities of the SDK, we'll have threads dedicated to it. A long long time ago, I ran a section of this forum for SimConnect development. We could always do something like that again.

Also, I second a converter for Blender to FS20, assuming they aren't using an already supported file type.

4 hours ago, DreamSkywards said:

Thanks for the suggestion ! I thought that Blender was an expensive payware only !

6 minutes ago, NotASenator said:

I'm sure that once we learn more about the capabilities of the SDK, we'll have threads dedicated to it. 

Hopefully but the Asobo folks have to think of the amateurs and not only of the pros when designing the SDK

• Like 1

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

Official support for Blender (exporter or importer) would definitely allow for a lower entry level to build custom scenery/aircraft objects, I absolutely second support for that. It would allow way more people to build and publish landmark objects for their favorite regions too. 

Maybe they can also provide a higher level C# SDK or maybe even a Web API so we can more easily create peripheral apps like HTML driven instrument panels running on a tablet or separate PC for example, or just a panel with some important switches and annunciators on a smartphone. 

An option to import models from sketchup would be great as well. 

i9-11900K, RTX 4090, 32 GB ram, Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo, TCA Airbus sidestick and quadrant, Reverb G2

The no C++ part is not a good idea though. It is the greatest tool because of the shear amount of power it provides. If the system can be vastly improved over FSX's old convoluted gauge rendering system to allow direct access to D3D draw calls or easier use of other 2D graphics libraries, then there is no excuse really for not using C++.

• Upvote 1

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

2 minutes ago, JB3DG said:

The no C++ part is not a good idea though. It is the greatest tool because of the shear amount of power it provides. If the system can be vastly improved over FSX's old convoluted gauge rendering system to allow direct access to D3D draw calls or easier use of other 2D graphics libraries, then there is no excuse really for not using C++.

You wont beat C++ for pure performance, but I've done an amount of 3D work using WPF recently and the performance has been fantastic (with meshes of 100k+ polygons and far greater).

The XAML for UI can be a little awkward at times but the efficiency (in terms of man hours saved in production and maintenance) of .NET code over C++ can't be ignored.

8 minutes ago, JB3DG said:

The no C++ part is not a good idea though.  

Jonathan, please re-read my initial post and topic title. 

I am talking of the numerous simmers who make a small airfield here and there or a landmark or a small regional map, etc. for their own pleasure and share them as freeware . The little guys.

The SDK is my reference book to understand how the machine ticks and I use the FsDeveloper tools, SU, PS C2 but I don't program anything. I think I am not alone. 

The guys making aircraft (pay or free) belong  to another league :smile:

Dominique

One thing that would be create is a live customization tool to "help" Azure. For example one would just pick any object (building, tree or whatever) and then do some simple adjustments like buildings height/number of floors or wall coloring or perhaps tweak the night lighting color/intensity, etc....! For more experienced and advanced users there would be a 3D modeling interface, which would give more precise instruction to Azure, like e.g. what shape and with what features to create a specific building, perhaps even be able to upload textures for Azure to use on a specific building. I have no clue how Azure works, this is just me imagining how things "could" work. People could then upload their modifications for others to integrate (or not). With this kind of system I could see plenty of people amending their home neighborhoods and "Azure only" cities would increase in accuracy over time just by user input, until more official enhancements are being released.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, JB3DG said:

True, the main API should definitely target C++, no discussion necessary there. But a wrapper in a more accessible language (like C#) for a subset of that API would be more than welcome. Things beside writing to the screen and other low level operations, like for example adding an object to the world, make it move, set the lights of your aircraft, control the flaps and stuff like that could be done through the secondary API. 

3 minutes ago, Raymond.Groenendijk said:

True, the main API should definitely target C++, no discussion necessary there. But a wrapper in a more accessible language (like C#) for a subset of that API would be more than welcome. Things beside writing to the screen and other low level operations, like for example adding an object to the world, make it move, set the lights of your aircraft, control the flaps and stuff like that could be done through the secondary API. 

SimConnect has had a managed wrapper for some time. Hopefully the new FS will follow the trend.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, domkle said:

Jonathan, please re-read my initial post and topic title. 

I am talking of the numerous simmers who make a small airfield here and there or a landmark or a small regional map, etc. for their own pleasure and share them as freeware . The little guys.

The SDK is my reference book to understand how the machine ticks and I use the FsDeveloper tools, SU, PS C2 but I don't program anything. I think I am not alone. 

The guys making aircraft (pay or free) belong  to another league :smile:

Somehow missed that. Apologies :) . By all means easier to use tools should be done. Although....C++ support can even there allow you to do some pretty awesome stuff.

• Like 1

Jonathan "FRAG" Bleeker

Formerly known here as "Narutokun"

If I speak for my company without permission the boss will nail me down. So unless otherwise specified...Im just a regular simmer who expresses his personal opinion

4 minutes ago, JB3DG said:

Somehow missed that. Apologies :) . By all means easier to use tools should be done. Although....C++ support can even there allow you to do some pretty awesome stuff.

No harm done !

Yes, a toolset which would go beyond the Environment SDK .exe would be much welcome. I don't discount the C++ usefulness by the way.

Dominique