Sign in to follow this  
micstatic

NAT Oceanic Quick Question

Hello Guys.  It's been a decade since I did a transatlantic vatsim flight.  I'm trying to read and youtube up on it again.  I've noticed many of the real world flights appear to not be flying a track at all.  Examples:

LHR-JFK today is filed as TAFFY ENE PARCH3

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/BAW173/history/20191029/1135Z/EGLL/KJFK

Amsterdam to Boston.   SUPRY ALLEX SEAER AJJAY OOSHN5

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/DAL259/history/20191029/0930Z/EHAM/KBOS

So are they just choosing their own route?  Just trying to make some sense out of this.  Thanks. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

They will have been filed on what’s known as a RANDOM ROUTE which is still filed with north/west waypoints at 10 degree longitude intervals, but not following a published NAT.

There is also the option of a COMPOSITE TRACK which is made up of part NAT track and part random route. 

Composite tracks can be tricky to achieve as flight planned , so a little extra fuel is a good idea.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

For whatever reason, FlightAware doesnt capture NAT tracks. Notice on both your examples that only North American data is shown. 

Jon Skiffington

To add to Jon's reply, FlightAware doesn't capture flight routes at many non-US locations including EUControl, so what you are seeing is just the route from entry into FAA airspace.

My work around is to use the exit point such as SUPRY then look at the ground track of the flight and from where it leaves land I can usually figure which track the aircraft was taking.  Of course rebuilding the route from LHR to Wales or leaving Scotland is easy after you've done it a few time since there are only a few that are flown.  Then one must evaluate the time frame and use a website such as https://blackswan.ch/northatlantictracks and back up the TMI (date) to get the same tracks as were available at the time of the flight.

• Upvote 1

Dan Downs KCRP

For what it's worth, TATL routings leaving the US towards Europe/ME etc. tend to show up in full on Flightaware. 

• Upvote 1

Rashid Yacine

very helpful guys.  Thanks so much.  Now I just have to figure out if anything more related to selcal i need to factor in.  I know how to put the selcal code into Vpilot.  But I need to see if I need to manipulate the VHF radio at all in the PMDG 777.  Never even touch that.  So don't know anything about it. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

I hope you enjoy your transatlantic flight. I’m not familiar with vatsim procedures so can’t help there ,but if you have any other real world procedure questions on crossing the pond please ask.

Incidentally  I see you’re located in Atlanta, I’ve just spent the last 4 days there on layover, flew home last night..on track U😉

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

nice.  hope you had a good trip

2 hours ago, micstatic said:

Now I just have to figure out if anything more related to selcal i need to factor in.  I know how to put the selcal code into Vpilot.  But I need to see if I need to manipulate the VHF radio at all in the PMDG 777.  Never even touch that.  So don't know anything about it. 

Go here - https://czqo.vatcan.ca/

It's the definitive resource for flying in oceanic airspace on vatsim.

Selcal is a receive only process that you don't need to initiate.
The following assuming oceanic control is logged on -

You will contact Gander/Shanwick and request a selcal check. They will reply and ping you with the code you put into vpilot when you connected. 

You will hear the tones. Now you are set.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

thanks

FlightAware does not publish any segment within Europe because it is prohibited by legislative bodies. Be that either safety concern or what ever. Also, lots of routes there, especially for long haul, are pre-filed well ahead for ATC sector planning purposes. They usually get corrected and finalized some hours before the actual flight but FlightAware might not reflect that.