Sign in to follow this  
Arthur42417

SSG's 747-8i V2 Releasing Tomorrow

Or perhaps like those wedding cakes you take at the end of the party you know, your portion wrapped in aluminum foil and store it in the fridge for some days and then is much better when you eat it. Let's give some days to the devs to iron those issues. I still don't have the v2 but I will once they update the plane.

• Like 1

Alexander Colka

23 minutes ago, alexcolka said:

Or perhaps like those wedding cakes you take at the end of the party you know, your portion wrapped in aluminum foil and store it in the fridge for some days and then is much better when you eat it. Let's give some days to the devs to iron those issues. I still don't have the v2 but I will once they update the plane.

i'm going to buy it later today, i trust SSG and own all their products....they'll fix it....everything nowadays releases early full of bugs👍

Sorry I couldn’t resist any longer................BURP 🤢

Hmm, I was really feeling for the developers getting a bashing elsewhere on this and thought most of the comments made were a bit harsh and probably unfounded. However, sadly no, I’m afraid I can see what people are saying.

This brings back very fond memories of my time as a beta tester/ tech adviser on the PMDG’s FS9 747 and QOTS version 1, flying an incomplete aircraft.

The aircraft in present is in a beta state I’d suggest, HOWEVER, and this is important, I feel the foundations are very strong  and there’s a very good product hiding under there, but it’s going to need a lot of work. I think people’s complaints at throwing down $65 at this are indeed justified...at this stage.

Ive just got airborne and have the thing on pause 10,000ft over the Pennines as I type this, but things are jumping out at me all from over the place , some nice to have refinements that add polish to a finished model, others that are major issues which should not be present.

A couple of examples.

The flight model, it has the feeling of potential being there and very good,but the roll authority is nowhere near adequate, either for reality or indeed for general controllability.I’ve tested the stall behaviour and it has a strong roll oscillation  in the stall which isn’t present in the real machine (400 series at least)The autopilot however seems very good indeed, and the controls can be pushed and pulled overpowering the autopilot but it stays in command and recovers the aircraft nicely once you let go of the yoke . The 400 series has this behaviour unlike earlier classic series in which the AP would disengage when overpowered.

Red bricks present on the speed tape on the takeoff roll up to stall speed , very distracting and not realistic.

i currently have number 2 main and override pumps on with 1+4 crossfeeds valves open and all other pumps off (best not doing this in real life) instead of draining tank 2 as expected all 4 main tanks are drawing in symmetry, a bit of a basic error there.

Talking of symmetry, my pet hate in multi engine simulations, all 4 engines are outputting identical parameters. GE would be extremely proud of themselves to get 4 engines to behave in perfect unison like that ! I remember raising this issue with PMDG with their FS9 beta during testing, but that was 15 years ago , I’d hoped things would have moved on since then.

Anyway, enough of the negatives, you get the picture, as I said I think there’s something good and special in there waiting to get out. I don’t know anything about SSG, but to simulate a 747 is a mammoth task (just ask just flight) and there’s only so much you can get from manuals , it need lots of real world engineers and pilots giving input to get things right. I think they’ve taken a giant leap, but probably need help more than criticism at this stage and they can, possibly, deliver what I and many others are craving...a proper 747 for x-plane.

I’m off to take the dog for his walk before I attempt a landing with that roll response 

Edited by jon b
  • Like 2

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

On 11/1/2019 at 2:33 PM, Arthur42417 said:

i'm going to buy it later today, i trust SSG and own all their products....they'll fix it....everything nowadays releases early full of bugs👍

Did you get it ?

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

Crazy how fast this plane turned into a meme already. It's absolutely rubbish it seems. Watching Youtubers deal with the incredibly buggy FMC has been quite amusing.

Sadly I own an SSG product (the E-Jets) and I think the FMC is just the same under the hood because it's these very same bugs that have been around for years. SSG just can't do it. At this point I'm convinced they just lack the skills to get either coding or graphics right.

It's an embarrassment that this kind of product is even sold on the org store. But hey, if they don't like the criticism of it in the forums, they just delete posts and ban posters.

Edited by flycln