Sign in to follow this  
RobdeVries

New system: is it okay?

So this is the system I'm proposing and I'd like your opinions about to run P3Dv4, XP11, FS2020. Much thanks in advance!

Rob

Case

CORSAIR CARBIDE SERIES™ 275Q Silent housing
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i9-9900K (3,6 GHz) cache 16 MB
MB Gigabyte Z390 AORUS PRO: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GBs - RGB suitable
RAM 16 GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200 MHz (2 x 8 GB)
GPU 8 GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3 x DP GeForce - RTX VR! suitable
1e Storage Drive 250 GB Samsung 860 EVO 2,5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (max. 550 MB/sR | 520 MB/sW)
2e Storage Drive 1 TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3,5 inch HDD, 6 GB/s, 7200 RPM, CACHE 64 MB
Power CORSAIR 750 W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRASILENT
CPU Cooling Corsair H80i V2 Hydro Cooler ultra silent ventilators PCS

Edited by Holland_Holland

RobdeVries.jpg

Swap out the 9900k for a 9900ks, which just came out today.  Same price, and higher clocks right out of the box (means higher performance without any need to overclock).

I'd go for 32 GB memory -- you'll thank me later.

Also, I'd want more than 1 TB of storage, especially if I were going the hard drive route.  You are going to run multiple sims, so multiple sceneries, multiple aircraft, etc.  My P3D setup alone is approaching 1 TB, and I avoid photoscenery.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

+1 for both suggestions above.  In my opinion, I'd also increase the power supply wattage to give you additional headroom, especially in light of possibly upgrading to a 2080Ti at a later date.   

• Upvote 1

Doug Miannay

PC: i9-13900K (OC 6.1) | ASUS Maximus Z790 Hero | ASUS Strix RTX4080 (OC) | ASUS ROG Strix LC II 360 AIO | 32GB G.Skill DDR5 TridentZ RGB 6400Hz | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB M.2 (OS/Apps) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Sim) | Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 (Games) | Fractal Design Define R7 Blackout Case | Win11 Pro x64

Hello all,

I just know I am going to upset some people but i just have to say something.

RGB  .. what the devil is the fascination? I see this in so many reviews of CPUs GPUs, Motherboards and cooling (water cooling in particular)

For the OP ... Motherboard  and RAM RGB suitable.. may i simply ask if you want to fly or watch the pretty lights in the computer? These pretty lights, which are not remotely connected with any flight sim or flight, just cost us money. Admittedly, It is not a HUGE cost but, in reality, what do you want to watch... the computer case or the monitor screen and actually concentrate on flying?  I think (I have never contemplated RGB anything so this is definitely an unqualified statement) I would actually find all those flashing lights distracting more than anything else. I personally, would prefer to invest in  a Christmas tree sand keep it in another room.

I know that RGB is popular ....l just do not understand the attraction and would prefer to spend my money on something that actually contributes to the pleasure of flying.

Imagine, if you will, inviting all your friends over for an exciting evening of watching your computer lights flashing.  I am not all sure that I would be impressed.

I  am quite sure I am missing something so please enlighten me without starting a war. 

Apart from that, I am with most other respondents,

Go for the KS, go for at least 32gb RAM (new sim requirements unknown at this time but will  not be wasted) and definitely go for more storage. Other than that, your proposed system is more than adequate.

Enjoy your new system

Regards

Tony

Tony Chilcott.

My System. Motherboard. ASRock Taichi X570 CPU Ryzen 9 3900x (not yet overclocked). RAM 32gb Corsair Vengeance (2x16) 3200mhz. 1 x Gigabyte Aorus GTX1080ti Extreme and a 1200watt PSU.

1 x 1tb SSD 3 x 240BG SSD and 4 x 2TB HDD

OS Win 10 Pro 64bit. Simulators ... FS2004/P3Dv4.5/Xplane.DCS/Aeroflyfs2...MSFS to come for sure.

2 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

Hello all,

I just know I am going to upset some people but i just have to say something.

RGB  .. what the devil is the fascination? I see this in so many reviews of CPUs GPUs, Motherboards and cooling (water cooling in particular)

For the OP ... Motherboard  and RAM RGB suitable.. may i simply ask if you want to fly or watch the pretty lights in the computer? These pretty lights, which are not remotely connected with any flight sim or flight, just cost us money. Admittedly, It is not a HUGE cost but, in reality, what do you want to watch... the computer case or the monitor screen and actually concentrate on flying?  I think (I have never contemplated RGB anything so this is definitely an unqualified statement) I would actually find all those flashing lights distracting more than anything else. I personally, would prefer to invest in  a Christmas tree sand keep it in another room.

I know that RGB is popular ....l just do not understand the attraction and would prefer to spend my money on something that actually contributes to the pleasure of flying.

Imagine, if you will, inviting all your friends over for an exciting evening of watching your computer lights flashing.  I am not all sure that I would be impressed.

I  am quite sure I am missing something so please enlighten me without starting a war. 

Apart from that, I am with most other respondents,

Go for the KS, go for at least 32gb RAM (new sim requirements unknown at this time but will  not be wasted) and definitely go for more storage. Other than that, your proposed system is more than adequate.

Enjoy your new system

Regards

Tony

It's a trend.

Manufacturers design and release products to meet demand.  Most of the "enthusiast" components on the market today include RGB lighting, or at the very least are compatible with it in some way.  Not a big deal.  If you don't want to use it, there are ways of disabling it.  

5 hours ago, himmelhorse said:

There's a whole culture of case-modders, they really trick out their cases with lights and other things.

Rhett

On 10/30/2019 at 10:16 AM, TechguyMaxC said:

Swap out the 9900k for a 9900ks

Agreed, but not because the KS is worth the cost.  Because the K is still too pricey compared to the KS... might just as well go for the new binned CPU.

I'd definitely put a bigger CPU Cooler on whichever 9900K series CPU you choose.  For simming you'll want to overclock, and the 9900K  series create a lot of heat when overclocked.

Good luck!

Greg

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, lownslo said:

I'd definitely put a bigger CPU Cooler on whichever 9900K series CPU you choose.  For simming you'll want to overclock, and the 9900K  series create a lot of heat when overclocked.

Holland_Holland this is a good idea Greg mentions.  You selected a Corsair H80iv2 as a cooler.  Unless space is at a premium in your case, you might consider a larger unit, like an H100i or H115i or a NZXT Kraken X62. 

Rhett