Sign in to follow this  
Flybynumbers

IFR in VR is awesome!

I have been VR flying all weekend (what day is it?) with Flyinside, Aerofly FS 2, and DCS world. At first I thought I might only fly VR for VFR and use my cockpit build for IFR, but IFR in VR is actually better! 

So I will be moving my yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant over to my VR setup today. I will wait for MSFT to release a VR version for MSFT Flight Simulator 2020.

Adios cockpit builders...it's been fun. 🙂

• Upvote 1

If by "IFR" you mean "IMC" or using the instruments or maybe even using charts you can view in the VR world, good for you. 

If by "IFR", you mean simulating real world Instrument Flight Rules using ATC and clearances, I'm skeptical.

Sticking to my cockpit, monitor, etc. so I can simulate real world Instrument Flight Rules for now.

Edited by yurei

VR is the bees knees. 

You can’t go back once you get into it. 

Normal 2D just feels lifeless in comparison. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

I have been VR flying all weekend (what day is it?) with Flyinside, Aerofly FS 2, and DCS world. At first I thought I might only fly VR for VFR and use my cockpit build for IFR, but IFR in VR is actually better! 

So I will be moving my yoke, rudder pedals, and throttle quadrant over to my VR setup today. I will wait for MSFT to release a VR version for MSFT Flight Simulator 2020.

Wow...... Now that's a quick turnaround!

And your cockpit build link is broken.

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

4 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

Yep. And nobody believes us it can be done. And you didnt like brussel sprouts before either. Lol

15 hours ago, Flybynumbers said:

Mmmhmmm😉

Most importantly you gave VR a chance and thats is the essential start of opening ones mind. Now only if the rest of these...nvm why bother😂

• Upvote 1

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

You might be surprised how many in these forums have a VR headset and have found the experience lacking in any of several ways. 3D immersion is very impressive but it is a small part of a more complete simulation experience. Particularly at the current level of technology. 

Happy for the OP, happy for all the VR fanboi.

(full disclosure: I worked for over 20 years in stereoscopic photogrammetry.)

Most have openly admitted to not trying VR and having absolutely no desire to outside of this forum section the ones who own VR  or have tried it already stated their preference in past threads and their opinions were respected.

Your 20 year career in stereoscopic photogrammetry is irrelevant to this conversation and also please refrain from insults and name calling.

Thanks!

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I follow this forum because there are VR enthusiasts ( @HiFlyer) who keep up with the technology and provide a valuable source of research for those of us waiting for better technology. VR is not a dead end, it is a partially baked cake.

Good luck with your limiting and/or preferred flight sim modality. I know I'm having fun with mine.

Edited by yurei

It is fully understandable that people who have invested huge sums of money into 3 screen setups and full cockpit builds are bit apprehensive about tech that has potential to render their investments obsolete. I would be too. 

But, I only ever invested in an x52 hotas so for me it was no a brainer to go vr. 

Edited by andreh
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, andreh said:

It is fully understandable that people who have invested huge sums of money into 3 screen setups and full cockpit builds are bit apprehensive about tech that has potential to render their investments obsolete. I would be too. 

But, I only ever invested in an x52 hotas so for me it was no a brainer to go vr. 

In my humble opinion, your experience (and situation) is probably one of the most persuasive reasons to go all in on VR for flight sim. If the hobbyist's preferred modality is casual VFR flight with limited nod to real world procedures, VR can be a very cost effective, expeditious upgrade with major positive impact to their enjoyment. 

(PS many of us who (blessedly and luckily) have the means to spend "huge sums of money" (just ask my wife) on full cockpits, have no problem with the current cost of mid-range VR hardware. As I previously mentioned, it is the flight sim experience that is lacking, not the means to invest)

Edited by yurei

39 minutes ago, yurei said:

In my humble opinion, your experience (and situation) is probably one of the most persuasive reasons to go all in on VR for flight sim. If the hobbyist's preferred modality is casual VFR flight with limited nod to real world procedures, VR can be a very cost effective, expeditious upgrade with major positive impact to their enjoyment. 

(PS many of us who (blessedly and luckily) have the means to spend "huge sums of money" (just ask my wife) on full cockpits, have no problem with the current cost of mid-range VR hardware. As I previously mentioned, it is the flight sim experience that is lacking, not the means to invest)

I also understand that if one has a fully realized home cockpit build, like say a 737, with all the panels etc, then that's arguably cooler than VR. I'd rather have that, all things being equal. But failing that, a Rift S and a PMDG addon is very cost effective alternative.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

I've often suspected there is a space at Avsim to honestly discuss contentious topics like VR and home cockpits. Lord knows there are many folks in the community who are exploring and navigating this intersection...Russ Barlow on youtube, example. 

Unfortunately, every time the inclination to open a topic for discussion hits me, I see more examples of familiarity bias in the VR community. Honestly, it's not their fault. So many folks registered at Avsim believe that the way they do flight sim is the BEST way. 

There have been some threads in this forum where some honest, respectful discussion has occurred..and I learned a lot, hopefully others did too.  But those discussions have been few and far between. 

I will leave this discussion with these last comments. Thanks for all the good and not-so-good seen.

1 hour ago, andreh said:

I also understand that if one has a fully realized home cockpit build, like say a 737, with all the panels etc, then that's arguably cooler than VR. I'd rather have that, all things being equal. But failing that, a Rift S and a PMDG addon is very cost effective alternative.

VR is still cooler because you get the dream setup of a 360 degree view with every plane you fly...not just one. 🙂

4 hours ago, yurei said:

You might be surprised how many in these forums have a VR headset and have found the experience lacking in any of several ways. 3D immersion is very impressive but it is a small part of a more complete simulation experience. Particularly at the current level of technology. 

Happy for the OP, happy for all the VR fanboi.

(full disclosure: I worked for over 20 years in stereoscopic photogrammetry.)

You can do full instrument approaches in VR. Actually I find using the virtual hands for flipping switches, pushing buttons and twisting knobs even easier than using my real hands on my physical panel...also everything is in the proper place. All that is missing is Live ATC. The thing about MSFT 2020 not being VR is no matter how good the rain hitting your windshield, or the double rainbows, or the skid marked runways, or the thunderstorms simulating downdrafts look, when you glance to your left or to your right you will be looking at an empty room, or a wall, or your kitchen, or your dirty laundry, while I will be looking at New York city in twighlight, or the Golden gate bridge, or the mountains of Innsbruck, or the Florida Keys.

🙂

2 hours ago, andreh said:

Ah...you got to be able to let go. I dismantled my old cockpit this morning because I needed the powered usb hub. 

Edited by Flybynumbers
  • Upvote 1

I have been instrument flying in VR (Oculus Rift S) this last year in the PMDG 747-8 and the Real Air Turbo Duke with the Flight1 GTN 750, in P3D V4.5. I usually setup the aircraft in 2D monitor mode. However, when it comes time for pushback, engine start, taxi, takeoff, then climb, I switch to VR. During cruise, I switch back to 2D mode, depending on length of flight.

When nearing TOD, I switch back into VR mode, and make descent, approach, landing, taxi to parking, and shutdown in VR. I don’t use Flyinside anymore as I find P3D’s Single Pass Rendering totally adequate, which permits an easy way to switch from 2D to VR, and back easily.

With PMDG’s 747-8, I use the built in EFB to look at Navigraph charts and my custom checklist I’ve created as a PDF file in VR. When flying the Turbo Duke, I can view in VR, the Included GTN 750 charts.

This new VR technology has changed my sim life in a big way. I could never go back to Only my 43” 4K display as the immersion in VR is fantastic.

VR can be done, you just have to play with it a bit to over come some limitations.

Bill Clark

• Upvote 1

Windows 10 Pro, Ver 21H2

CPU I5-8600K 5.0GHz, GPU Nvidia RTX 3090 VRAM 24GB

Gigabyte Z370 Gaming 7, 2TB M2.NVMe, RAM 32GB