Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

GARMIN Autoland...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Great!

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

I'm truly shocked. It's the first time in more than 40 years of flying that I feel completely needless with a pilot license. 😞

1 hour ago, Bert Pieke said:

Impressive..

I'll say! Times are changing, quickly.

It was only a matter of time before this type of automated control became a reality. We have come a long way since when I was a kid watching a state-of-the-art Anti-Submarine Argus practise doing touch and goes in Summerside PEI, without any two landings being remotely alike.

Thank you for sharing.

Kindest regards,

Spirit Flyer  :smile:

Stephen

Things like this mean it’s only a matter of time before we see single pilot airliners. I’d quite like that as I don’t enjoy making idle chat with FOs at 4 o’clock in the morning over the Atlantic. I believe The A350 has been developed for single pilot ops should legislation ever change, I know the cargo operators are after going single pilot.

787 captain.  

Previously 24 years on 747-400.Technical advisor on PMDG 747 legacy versions QOTS 1 , FS9 and Aerowinx PS1. 

What if there aren't any airports with GPS and VNav approaches within range?

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

1 hour ago, n4gix said:

What if there aren't any airports with GPS and VNav approaches within range?

I presume it could just make a final approach course like the GTN's can do (I think its under visual approach)....then it would calculate a descend path (like the GTN)

All this assume you have RAIM though...hehe...without satellites....not so good.

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

What about the interaction with ATC and traffic in a busy airport ?

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

It does the required / basic stuff after declaring the emmergency, as you can listen in the video.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

3 hours ago, domkle said:

What about the interaction with ATC and traffic in a busy airport ?

Microsoft Zira & Microsoft David are on it!

It would be interesting how this emergency systems overrides e.g. gear, flaps and throttle control. Do you get three greens with the gear down but the lever still up?

How does it control throttle since there's no auto throttle on such planes etc. etc. 

If this video would have been posted on April 1st I would know the answer!

AOPA showed it on a Piper M600 and the other video I have seen was on an Eclipse 500, so this is not for your Cessna 182RG. The system interacts with the aircraft systems and uses an SBAS enabled GNSS system as well as XM Weather to enhance Situational Awareness. Of course like any system it has its limitations, so while it is being advertised as in case the pilot becomes incapacitated, it might not, under very unlikely set of scenarios, be able to complete the auto landing. Like a ballistic parachute equipped airplanes it is one of those systems you hope you never need to use. However, if you do use it, it is much more likely the airplane will not be a write off.

6 hours ago, KenG said:

AOPA showed it on a Piper M600 and the other video I have seen was on an Eclipse 500, so this is not for your Cessna 182RG...

So there is little point trying to order it for my Ford pickup.

Oh well...

Kind regards,

Spirit Flyer :smile:

Stephen

7 hours ago, KenG said:

Eclipse 500

I think you're thinking of the Cirrus Vision.  

8 hours ago, FDEdev said:

How does it control throttle since there's no auto throttle on such planes etc. etc

Both the M600, and SF50 with the G3000 have autothrottle now.  As does the TBM 940, so I suspect it may be added to the autoland list soon too. 

Here's the video from Cirrus:

Brian W

KPAE