Sign in to follow this  
nas123

How many Alpha Techs before Beta

I wonder how many Alpha Techs there will be before we reach first Beta release.

I guess only MS knows( or maybe even they do not know at this time)

As you said, it's something MS decides.

Chock 1.1: "The only thing that whines louder than a jet engine is a flight simmer."

If each version takes around 2 months like it seems to be the case and they want a final release in 2020, that doesn't let a lot of room for more than 2 or 3 max...

Edited by Noooch

41 minutes ago, nas123 said:

I wonder how many Alpha Techs there will be before we reach first Beta release.

Simple answer - as many as it takes...

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models

Well presumably they're  intending to have a beta so it comes down to how much time there is between now and their target date for the start of the beta.

Edited by SamYeager
Typo

Give people power to really test their personality.

I suspect the only answer is "as many as they think they need", but my own guess would be that they are planning on three alpha tests, before the product is considered to be in beta.  And then I expect an extremely long period in beta.

With a product like this, they are probably very sensitive about making sure everything is polished to a mirror shine before they release it into the wild.

On 11/1/2019 at 11:30 AM, SierraDelta said:

Simple answer - as many as it takes...

So you don't subscribe to a 2020 release?

19 hours ago, dtrjones said:

So you don't subscribe to a 2020 release?

I subscribe to Holiday 2020 myself. Gives them a year to nail down the initial feature list and get things prepped for maybe having something ready to run on the XBOX Scarlett platform which is slated for Oct 2020 if the E3 trailer is anything to go by.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/next-xbox-release-date-rumors,news-27484.html

I feel like the hype is over now. We got a lot of information, but the main points are still open (seasons, ATC, AI, multiplayer, ...) 

I'm looking forward to it, but I know today that it may take another two years for the simulation to be what I expect. Until recently, I was several times a day on the Internet to find news, now only every few days once. 

What would I wish to recover the hype? 

A rough long-term plan. Only for insiders with the note that it can change at any time, but at least more information. 

What exactly is the difference between Alpha and beta versions?

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

47 minutes ago, jlund said:

Alpha is testing of new features, new code is still added to the program.

Beta is debugging of a complete software.

5 hours ago, jlund said:

Just refers to the software development cycle. "Alpha" and "beta" are testing phases. "Pre-alpha" (what MSFS was up until recently), just refers to any development up until alpha testing is ready.

If software is in alpha, it's generally not feature-complete yet, and is also still potentially unstable.  Once software enters beta, it's generally a "complete" product, and work begins on stuff like debugging and optimization.  Beta software is also generally far more stable and suitable for public eyes.

If you're doing alpha testing on a game, you're generally looking to get feedback on the game itself - systems, features, feel, etc.  When you're doing beta testing, you're generally just eliminating bugs.

There's been a lot of blurring of these terms over the years.  "Betas" in gaming these days are often just glorified demos or early access periods.  "Technical Alphas" are usually just testing network infrastructure for multiplayer games.

Edited by Scottoest

Thank you for an easy understandable explanation of the difference between Alpha and beta versions.

Jorn Lundtoft

I don't always stop and look at airplanes.........Oh wait, Yes I do.

Intel I7-13700F, 32GB Fury DDR5 - 6000, Kingston 1TB NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD, Asus Geforce RTX 4070 TI 12GB, Kingston 2TB M2 NVMe SSD, Corsair 750W PCU, Windows 11

Let's just pray that there is enough testing to have a working product at release.  There is nothing worse than that of a flop !

System Specs: Desktop i7=9770k OC 4.9, 32gb 3200 ddr4, 2080ti 4k 55 samsung curved TV, 2080 3 22 inch monitors. 2tb gaming drive SSD raid 0, Windows 10 on 1tb m.2,