Sign in to follow this  
lewblok

Excess time to download terrain data

It takes 9 minutes to download terrain data in fly now mode.  Does FSX download all of the add-on scenery when I fly out of an airport for local flight and not cross country?    I have 1025 GB megascenery earth downloads and was wondering if it has to read all of this when downloading terrain data.  Per a message from Megascenery Earth website, I changed under terrain in fsx.config the LOD_RADIUS setting from 4.50000 to 14.0000. I know this slows it down, but want to know about reading all of the terrain data (1025gb).  When planning a flight from Amarillo, Texas to Phoenix,Az, should I disable all states except Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona?  Need some help to speed this up.

Thanks

Lewis Block

Sounds like you have a ton of scenery to load for each flight.  You need to eliminate areas you won't be flying in.

• Upvote 1

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

So I disable the states I will not be flying through?  I appreciate your response and help.  I was not sure if that would work or not.  Again thanks!

Lewblok

37 minutes ago, lewblok said:

So I disable the states I will not be flying through?  I appreciate your response and help.  I was not sure if that would work or not.  Again thanks!

Lewblok

It's always worth a try and not difficult to do!

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

1 hour ago, lewblok said:

So I disable the states I will not be flying through? 

Exactly!  Same with highly detailed add-on airports that do not use standard objects, buildings, trees, etc.  FSDT, ImagineSim, Simmarket, TropicalSim, Blueprint Sim, etc.  If you are not flying there, or if you are flying over at high altitude, do not load them.

I keep my add-on scenery airports listed in geographic patterns so I can activate those within my flight area quickly.  I keep my Megascenery with USA states listed in alphabetic order for the same reason.

The one question relative to this I have not seen a good answer to is whether the FSX box to cache scenery on exit should be checked, or unchecked.  

Edited by fppilot
  • Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

17 minutes ago, fppilot said:

The one question relative to this I have not seen a good answer to is whether the FSX box to cache scenery on exit should be checked, or unchecked.  

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/423015-empty-scenery-cache-on-exit-tick-or-not/

I always thought it didn't really matter!

Charlie Aron

You could try using a scenery manager to control which addon scenery is active for a particular flight. I use the scenery manager in the payware utility SimStarterNG to create scenery sets for different flying scenarios and these can be quickly and easily modified if required. I understand that there are also some freeware scenery managers available although I don’t have any experience of these personally. An additional benefit to using a scenery manager is that by limiting the amount of active addon scenery it can also reduce the VAS usage somewhat , an important consideration in FSX with its 4GB VAS limit.

Bill

Check your scenery.cfg file in Program data\Microsoft\FSX open it and check that the Area and layer number correspond like:

[Area.011]
Title=0100 Base
Local=Scenery\0100
Layer=11
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

Sometimes they get mess up and the sim cannot figure what to do ? That's why it takes so long to load. Otherwise I suggest you delete your FSX .cfg file and let FSX build a new one when it restarts.

Good luck:

Berlopez