Sign in to follow this  
Evros

Nvidia Image Sharpening

56 minutes ago, Le Français said:

Right, not seeing it. 

38 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Did you download the Game Ready Driver (GRD)?  I believe the sharpening feature is not included in the Studio Driver (SD).

Greg

Good observation. That could very well be it. If not, then I would do a clean install to drivers by using DDU.

49 minutes ago, Le Français said:

I am running 4K would that be why? is this only to help upscale?

No, it is fundamentally different from upscaling and should work with all resolutions.

Edited by Evros

10 hours ago, Le Français said:

Not seeing these new setting with my 1080TI 😞

That's odd. 😕

You could try confirming that you in fact do have the 441.08 driver installed. 

Open NVCP, at bottom left click system information and the driver version will be at the top of the list in the pop up window.

Edited by SunDevil56

I see the option with my 1080ti running a 4k resolution.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Ok, got it by doing a clean install of the drivers. Couple of questions. 

1. What value should I start with?

2. Could this replace SSAA? Would image sharpening and MSAA be enough?

3. With the clean driver install, in the NVIDIA Control panel - should I leave this as is or select: use my preference emphasizing: Quality? or Let the 3d application decide?

Discord | YouTube | Facebook

34" Odyssey OLED G8 175Hz | 3440X1440 | AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D | PNY VERTO OC GeForce RTX 4070 Ti SUPER 16 GB | G.Skill Flare X5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 | Asus ROG STRIX B650E-F GAMING WIFI ATX AM5 | Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 | ARCTIC Liquid Freezer III 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | Fractal Design North XL ATX Full Tower Case

Just did a couple flights with Sharpening set to 0.60 along with OTT set to 1.5 using my Rift CV1.  This made a significant improvement in clarity, both in cockpit and the outside view.  Didn't appear to have an impact on FPS.  I like it so far.  Anyone know what the "ignore file grain" does?

Danny

Danny

38 minutes ago, DannyR said:

Just did a couple flights with Sharpening set to 0.60 along with OTT set to 1.5 using my Rift CV1.  This made a significant improvement in clarity, both in cockpit and the outside view.  Didn't appear to have an impact on FPS.  I like it so far.  Anyone know what the "ignore file grain" does?

Danny

Really? Nvidia states on the release notes

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/441.08/441.08-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf

under "Image Sharpening Feature" (p. 5) "Scaling will not work with VR". I tried it myself with my Acer WMR headset in Prepar3d and didn't observe any improvement, while Prepar3d on the 2d screen indeed gets a noticeably sharper image which I like.

What do others observe w.r.t. VR? Did I misunderstand the reference above? Perhaps I am only missing some setting? Maybe, it just works for the Rift but not for WMR headsets?

Thanks and kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

2 hours ago, pmb said:

http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/441.08/441.08-win10-win8-win7-release-notes.pdf

under "Image Sharpening Feature" (p. 5) "Scaling will not work with VR". I tried it myself with my Acer WMR headset in Prepar3d and didn't observe any improvement, while Prepar3d on the 2d screen indeed gets a noticeably sharper image which I like.

What do others observe w.r.t. VR? Did I misunderstand the reference above? Perhaps I am only missing some setting? Maybe, it just works for the Rift but not for WMR headsets?

For me it does not work in my Reverb HMD, on my screen it works. 

Regards,

Marcus P.

xaP1VAU.png

Gents,

Does it mean that NVI might be sent to the retirement? No more 4xSGSAA? 

I'll play around some more.  I tried the .60 sharpening and found it barely noticeable with my setup/settings. 

5800X3D, Gigabyte X570S MB, 4090FE, 32GB DDR4 3600 CL14, EVO 970 M.2's, Alienware 3821DW  and 2  22" monitors,  Corsair RM1000x PSU,  360MM MSI MEG, MFG Crosswind, T16000M Stick, Boeing TCA Yoke/Throttle, Skalarki MCDU and FCU, Saitek Radio Panel/Switch Panel, Spad.Next

12 hours ago, pmb said:

Really?...Yes, for me I did see an improvement.  The Nvidia statement does say "Scaling" will not work in VR.  Unless I am misreading it there is a Scaling setting that is separate from the Sharpening setting.  I haven't activated the "Scaling" setting, just the "Sharpening".  The improvement is very noticeable to me in regards to the sharpness of the text  and instruments in the cockpit.

Danny

Danny

I turned sharpening on and like what I see using the default settings so I plan to keep it on.

A couple of people are asking if this is a substitute for AA - it is not. It can make textures and fonts look crisper, but if anything it can making aliasing issues even worse. IMO the trade off is worth it. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Chapstick said:

I turned sharpening on and like what I see using the default settings so I plan to keep it on.

A couple of people are asking if this is a substitute for AA - it is not. It can make textures and fonts look crisper, but if anything it can making aliasing issues even worse. IMO the trade off is worth it. 

On my set up it is the difference between looking through a dirty pane of glass and one that has just been washed. Brilliant, crisp and sharp.

• Like 1

Intel i7 6700K @4.3. 32gb Gskill 3200 RAM. Z170x Gigabyte m/b. 28" LG HD monitor. Win 10 Home. 500g Samsung 960 as Windows home. 1 Gb Mushkin SSD for P3D. GTX 1080 8gb.

To me, the sim looks sharper and crisp after turning it on. I might play with different values but it looks good with nvidia default values. 

• Like 1

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q

29 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

To me, the sim looks sharper and crisp after turning it on. I might play with different values but it looks good with nvidia default values. 

I wonder if it has a  performance impact if you crank up the setting to 1.0

7 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

I wonder if it has a  performance impact if you crank up the setting to 1.0

I can try.

What values did you guys try already? 

Ivan Majetic

MAXIMUS XII HERO, i9 10900k, NZXT KRAKEN Z73, GIGABYTE RTX 3080 v2 OC, G.SKILL TridentZ DDR4 32 Gb, WD HDD 2TB, SAMSUNG 980PRO, SAMSUNG 970EVO Plus 2x, ASUS PG348Q