Sign in to follow this  
Evros

Nvidia Image Sharpening

18 minutes ago, Johnny19 said:

I can try.

What values did you guys try already? 

Default at the moment.

20 hours ago, Le Français said:

Ok, got it by doing a clean install of the drivers. Couple of questions. 

1. What value should I start with?

2. Could this replace SSAA? Would image sharpening and MSAA be enough?

3. With the clean driver install, in the NVIDIA Control panel - should I leave this as is or select: use my preference emphasizing: Quality? or Let the 3d application decide?

1. I would start with default, 0.50 and 0.17 respectively. Many people in this thread, including me, like it exactly there. You should also play around a little and see if you can find a setting that is even better for your preference.

4 hours ago, Chapstick said:

A couple of people are asking if this is a substitute for AA - it is not. It can make textures and fonts look crisper, but if anything it can making aliasing issues even worse. IMO the trade off is worth it. 

3. Let the 3D application decide. If you change any settings globally, then it will default to Use the advanced 3D image settings.

Just tried it out, thought it sharpened my 4k display slightly, but the main game changer here is the Ultra Low Latency setting used with the 30hz/vsync setup. It feels like the input lag has been almost eliminated. I can mouse around the MCDU now without any effort and flight control response has been noticeably improved. Thanks for the heads up! 

• Upvote 1

P3D 4.3, Windows 10/64 bit, Intel 6700k @ 4.7 air-cooled, NVidia 2080 Ti Founders Edition, ASUS Rog Maximus VIII Ranger, 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 @3200, Phanteks Anthoo Pro Series Case, Samsung 950 Pro M.2 500GB, Sandisk 1TB SATA, Seagate 2TB Hybrid Drive, Cooler Master 700W, 40-inch Samsung 4k TV

5 hours ago, mikeymike said:

I wonder if it has a  performance impact if you crank up the setting to 1.0

None that I can see.

Now to be fair, my system is fairly "upper echelon" hardware wise, but just for giggles after playing with the default settings I cranked up both the sharpen and film grain values to maximum. I can't definitively say that it made a significant visual difference over the default values, but it certainly did not incur any sort of performance penalty either, and like many others i'm seeing a definite improvement in both clarity and overall smoothness.

4 minutes ago, bbain1187 said:

Just tried it out, thought it sharpened my 4k display slightly, but the main game changer here is the Ultra Low Latency setting used with the 30hz/vsync setup. It feels like the input lag has been almost eliminated. I can mouse around the MCDU now without any effort and flight control response has been noticeably improved. Thanks for the heads up! 

Agree 100%. You posted your message while I was typing my previous message, so I apologize for not mentioning the ULL update. This is definitely a worthwhile update, even on my fairly high performance system it made my response time and smoothness just a little bit better. Highly recommended. 😎

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

None that I can see.

Now to be fair, my system is fairly "upper echelon" hardware wise, but just for giggles after playing with the default settings I cranked up both the sharpen and film grain values to maximum. I can't definitively say that it made a significant visual difference over the default values, but it certainly did not incur any sort of performance penalty either, and like many others i'm seeing a definite improvement in both clarity and overall smoothness.

Wait!

is this set under program P3d settings?

or global settings?

thanks

17 minutes ago, mikeymike said:

Wait!

is this set under program P3d settings?

or global settings?

thanks

Individual programs. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Nvidia Driver 441.12 is out now.  Supposedly corrected some things.  I downloaded it and it works fine.  Still uses the Sharpening tool in Nvidia Driver settings.

Stan

Does this work without enabling GPU scaling or does this need to be on to see changes when using the sliders ?

To me it looks that it needs to be on and with both sliders you upscale the resolution. 
Quote You can use your GPU to render at a lower resolution and scale to native for higher performance.

I have 4K screens and do not need upscaling.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

1 hour ago, GSalden said:

Does this work without enabling GPU scaling or does this need to be on to see changes when using the sliders ?

To me it looks that it needs to be on and with both sliders you upscale the resolution. 
Quote You can use your GPU to render at a lower resolution and scale to native for higher performance.

Custom scaler is one of the features, but doesn't define or limit it. I tried it on my 4K as well and results are the same as on my ultrawide - sharper image. If you are already at optimal resolution then scaler does nothing and only sharpening is applied.

With one slider you adjust how much sharpening you want and with other how much film grain is allowed to be ignored. I have yet seen any film grain in P3D with default settings.

Edited by Evros

What AA setting you guys use along with this? The reason I ask: I just recently abandonded my 4xSSAA setup for 8xMSAA due to the fact that with my other settings, 4xSSAA results in a slide show as soon as weather is not good anymore. Which is often the case in Europe during autumn. On the other hand, I increased the draw distance of the clouds to the max, to finally have clouds till the horizon.

I am pretty happy with this adjusted setup, but the image slightly suffers from the switch to 8xMSAA and maybe I could compensate with this image sharpening?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 minutes ago, Evros said:

Custom scaler is one of the features, but doesn't define or limit it. I tried it on my 4K as well and results are the same as on my ultrawide - sharper image. If you are already at optimal resolution then scaler does nothing and only sharpening is applied.

With one slider you adjust how much sharpening you want and with other how much film grain is allowed to be ignored. I have yet seen any film grain in P3D with default settings.

Thanks for explaining.

As you are using 4K too what settings you find best to work for you.

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

10 hours ago, GSalden said:

Hi Gerard, as i understand from NVIDA, the benefit of upscaling is to let the application (like P3D or FSX) compute the frames at a lower resolution and then let the GPU scaling up the images to the wanted resolution. This should have an performance impact especially for us flightsimmers. Because of the relative old core code which is still in use for the SIM, the main computations are still done by the CPU and not the GPU. If the sim need to compute (render) just less pixel for each frame, this should fire up the smoothness of the generated imaging. I. ex. you set the resolution of the Sim to 1024 x 968 and scale it up by the GPU to 2048 x 1920 the renderengine of the sim has just less computations to do.

My experience after trying many different settings and Rob´s know how, that FPS and stutter is not mandatory related to each other.   

I would say that, especially if you are using 4k screens upscaling makes sense. You can let the sim render just in low resolution on the CPU and let the GPU scale it up to 4k, because the GPU is much faster in doing such things than our beloved intel CPU´s.

Edited by BerndB

Bernd

P3D V6 -  PC spec: Intel i9-9900 overclocked 5 GHz HT off, 32 GB RAM, GPU Nvidia RTX3090 24GB, 2xM2 SSD, Skalarki HomeCockpit and Jeehell FMGS on a dedicated Server, PF3 for ATC, MCE, GSX, EFB, AS+ASCA+ENV and OrbXpf3-supporter.gif